Next CF Bracket

Which one do you want to see done next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
For the older generation on here can someone point me to what Lenny Bruce's best stuff to listen to is? I hear about him being a comedy great, but listened to his Carnegie Hall show and didn't find much amusing.

It wasn't.

I saw the movie with Dustin Hoffman ("Lenny", 1974).

I think Wikipedia sums up Bruce the best:

The film jumps between various sections of Bruce's life, including scenes of when he was in his prime, and the burned-out, strung-out performer who, in the twilight of his life, used his nightclub act to pour out his personal frustrations. We watch as up-and-coming Bruce courts his "Shiksa goddess", a stripper named Honey. With family responsibilities, Lenny is encouraged to do a "safe" act, but he cannot do it. Constantly in trouble for flouting obscenity laws, Lenny develops a near-messianic complex that fuels both his comedy genius and his talent for self-destruction. Worn out by a lifetime of tilting at establishment windmills, Lenny Bruce dies of a morphine overdose in 1966.

A little bit as if Phillip Roth had done stand-up.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
For the older generation on here can someone point me to what Lenny Bruce's best stuff to listen to is? I hear about him being a comedy great, but listened to his Carnegie Hall show and didn't find much amusing.
Lenny was 40-50 years ahead of his "time". His routines flouted the censorship & obscenity laws and he was constantly getting shut down. His language probably wouldn't raise any eyebrows today.

Reactions: DarkStar

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Lenny was 40-50 years ahead of his "time".

Maybe. There were all kinds of "dirty" in the 50's and 60's. Redd Foxx, for example.

His routines flouted the censorship & obscenity laws and he was constantly getting shut down. His language probably wouldn't raise any eyebrows today.

That's sort of my point. Bruce was quintessentially narcissistic and derivative.

That did not add up to funny. Just crass.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Do specials count?

Because Bo Burnham’s “Inside” was one of the most relatable performances in the history of comedy IMO.

Comedians are gonna be controversial and knowing CF it’s just gonna skew older like the Sitcom one.
That dude is one of the only comedians I like from the 21st century. He's pretty good. For me, older is always better. Movies, music, comedy, etc. These days you have people with no talent getting famous. Very few comedians nowadays can make me laugh. The old legends make me laugh even if I have heard their jokes a thousand times.

• Agree
Reactions: mynameisjonas

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Poll closing in 48 hours. Still a close race. If there is a tie the topic that got to that number first will win.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Are comedy teams going to be considered/included? Or possibly a followup topic?

I would toward it being more individual oriented, but committee could take the idea under advisement.

Not sure there would be enough teams for them to have their own tournament.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Know it well because I headed it up. People couldn't handle it and it got squashed. As the person organizing it I took the failure of it hard to the point where it got me very depressed to the point I very much considered ending things.

Your greatest virtue . . . you care . . . gets the best of you sometimes!