Next Up: Scheman Renovation

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

The next step in facility upgrades...

Actions Requested:

Recommend the Board approve the proposed:
Permission to Proceed with Project Planning for the Scheman Building - Renovation project, including the design professional selection process. The estimated project budget of $10,000,000 to $12,000,000 would be funded by Athletics Operating Revenues.

Executive Summary:
The project would renovate portions of the Scheman Building’s ground and first floors, including the entrance lobby, event and circulation spaces, and restrooms. The Benton Auditorium at the east end would be converted into flexible event space. The project would also include upgrades to building entrances, interior finishes, lighting, wayfinding through the building, and new food and beverage amenities for guests.

The exterior elevated walkway between the Scheman Building and Hilton Coliseum, and various building systems would be evaluated during the design process. If repairs are required, those renovations would be included in the project, if funding allows. No existing occupants would be relocated because of the project.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I've always thought that Scheman was a rather odd building. What would it cost to start over and create the same amount of conference space in a manner that fits better next to Hilton and the future hotel? I'm assuming that it would be much more or else that's what they would be doing.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I've always thought that Scheman was a rather odd building. What would it cost to start over and create the same amount of conference space in a manner that fits better next to Hilton and the future hotel? I'm assuming that it would be much more or else that's what they would be doing.
Much more than $10-$12M.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Was in Scheman and C.Y. a couple of months ago. They’re both at the point where I’d say it’s kind of an embarrassment. I’d want those types of venues to be selling points for our university

Reactions: BigTurk

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
When’s the Hilton concourse reno happening or did that get pushed back?

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
This. I understand the need for updating buildings, to a point. However, in the age of where money can improve your chances of more wins in football, wouldn’t that money be better spent building the best possible team that we can buy?
Sustained football success would more than pay for new buildings down the road. New buildings do not translate into more football success.

• Dumb
Reactions: Gorm and CyDude16

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
FULL RELEASE:

HIGHLIGHTS:
*The improvements, which will be paid for by athletics department revenues and could be completed as early as the 2024-25 academic year if final approval is granted by the Regents, will focus on creating a dynamic event space that can be used to enhance all events the 48-year-old facility annually hosts, as well as the game-day experience for Cyclone Club members attending events next door at Hilton Coliseum.

*The athletics department, which manages the Iowa State Center, is working with university leaders to develop plans to update the Scheman Building's entrance lobby, restrooms, event and circulation spaces. As part of the renovations, Benton Auditorium would be converted to an open, flexible event space. In addition, the facility would receive upgraded entrances, new interior finishes, lighting, wayfinding and food and beverage amenities. The design process will also include an evaluation of the center's exterior elevated walkway network.

*In addition to the Scheman Building enhancements, the athletics department has also dedicated over $1 million in funds toward a refresh at CY Stephens Auditorium, which opened in 1969, to include new carpet throughout the most heavily used spaces and improvements to restrooms. The CY Stephens updates are expected to be complete by fall 2023.

RENDERINGS:

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Can someone help me better understand this project. I find the pictures confusing. Probably most of my problem is I don’t even really know what’s in there now.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Can someone help me better understand this project. I find the pictures confusing. Probably most of my problem is I don’t even really know what’s in there now.

The large open space on the east end (toward Hilton) is currently a 450-seat auditorium.

benton.jpg

scheman1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Marcelason78

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Are they going to have chairs or something if someone wants a conference hall? I know I was at bankers conferences there back in the 90s

"Benton Auditorium would be converted to an open, flexible event space."

That usually means chairs and tables available.

Reactions: BCClone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Scheman renovation project is on the Regents' agenda for next week.

$12M, target finish date Summer 2025.

• Informative
Reactions: CysLoveChild

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Thanks for sharing the update on the Scheman Building renovation project. It's exciting to see progress being made on such a significant upgrade! The plans sound fantastic, especially the transformation of the Benton Auditorium into flexible event space. It's great to see a focus on enhancing guest experience with improved amenities and wayfinding.
ur mom is flexible event space, bot.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Was just there last week during the Engineering Career Fair. All those buildings are classic ISU structures, but they are WAY overdue for updating. The orange saloon style doors in the men's rooms have got to be original to the building.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
This. I understand the need for updating buildings, to a point. However, in the age of where money can improve your chances of more wins in football, wouldn’t that money be better spent building the best possible team that we can buy?
Sustained football success would more than pay for new buildings down the road. New buildings do not translate into more football success.
These improvements are being done as a greater vision, along with CyTown, to increase AD revenue, I believe. AD can’t spent money on NIL, so not sure how they can directly buy ”the best team possible”. More AD money means more for amenities for Athletes or money for player salaries at some point. This is is a good project that is a part of a larger vision.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Scheman renovation project is on the Regents' agenda for next week.

$12M, target finish date Summer 2025.
Good. It is a dump, and the University needs a good event space. ISU can host a lot of events, not just athletic, if we had decent facilities.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Nice. Not with this one, I think more convention and event space is great. Especially if that hotel ever gets built, but some of these facility upgrades lately for non-revenue sports makes me wonder how much "return on our investment" we will get. I understand title ix and if we were texass it'd be different but when college athletics changing drastically recently sometimes I wonder if we'll even have tennis and volleyball in 10 years. Anyways I can't blame Pollard for all this, he's done an amazing job with our facilities and they are surely at least partially paid for by donations.