Next year (2020)

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
This year was amazing. The team exceeded expectations in every way possible. The coaches really have this program on the rise. So, is it too early to speculate about next year?

125: Mackall is back. He’s a tough wrestler. A borderline top 20 guy. Not sure if he can make the improvements to be a big point scorer at nationals. Reeves is coming in and it will be interesting to see where he is at relative to Mackall.

133: Gomez is a stud. This weight will be absolutely loaded again next year, but he will be in the AA hunt. You can be sure he’ll be working his butt off this spring and summer. I can see a slight improvement at this weight. Ceiling being probably a 5-6 finish.

141: Parker is a blue collar hard nosed guy. He’s good enough to beat almost anyone at the weight, but I think lacks the variety of attacks to string enough good wins in a row to AA. I wonder if Anderson could take the spot as a true fresh. If he’s consistently beating Parker, than why not?

149: Degen really improved this year. I think he can place even higher next year and possibly get 4-6.

157: Carr will be a big upgrade. This is a huge price to ISU improving on this year’s performance. He has the talent/potential to hang with anyone. I could see top 4, or possibly not even AA. An AA here would be huge to replace Miklus lost points.

165: ?? Straw ?? Transfer?? Without a transfer I think ISU is looking at a borderline NQ here and not much in points.

174: hope Coleman can improve. He has some talent, but it didn’t appear the mental toughness was there when facing the top level of competiton.

184: I think the biggest question for ISU is the 84/97 situation. I’m think Colbray goes up to 97 and Shapiro slides in here. If that’s the case, probably minimal points at nationals.

197: I think Colbray mans this weight next year. He really turned things around this year and made great strides. 97 is a weaker weight than 84, so if he stays on the path I can see a mid-low AA 6-8.

Hvy: have to think this is Gremmel again and don’t see much more than a couple of points at nationals.

For ISU to improve upon this year’s nationals performance, I think depends on, in order:
1. Carr being a high AA
2. Gomez getting a little more consistent and getting on the podium
3. Colbray continuing to improve and get it done wit a low AA
4. The potential of Anderson making an immediate impact.

What do some others think?

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
Looking at Flo's recent wrestling rankings from before Nationals and it looks like 184 might be one of the weaker weights next year, there are six seniors ranked ahead of Colbray and three more ranked behind him in the top 20, if Colbray stays at 184 he could potentially be a title contender if he keeps improving like he did during the season.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I see Colbray at 184. I think Schu May stay at 165 and with him being one step from NQ, might pop into the tourney. Otherwise a transfer or redshirt Schu and wrestle one of the redshirts this year. Straw would be another possibility for one year. A wrestle off to see who starts.

Overall, I see is stronger and deeper.

I’m more curious on who our recruits be that sign next year.

ajbjunior

Feb 4, 2007
I think you hit the keys. I do think Ian can AA but it will be a tough weight. It’s crazy to think we had one senior and everyone else was sophomores and freshman.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I hope Colbray can maintain 184. I think the changing in his conditioning was one of the big reasons for his success this year. Plus, 184 clears out quite a bit next year, he could easily be Top 5.

I feel Carr has a decent chance at top 5 also, but need to temper my expectations for the Freshman.

Similarly, I think Ryan Anderson has the talent to challenge Parker, but they will probably RS al the true freshman again. That will bring some interesting decisions in 2021 @ 125 & 141 when the incumbents are Seniors.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
I think Schu May stay at 165 and with him being one step from NQ, might pop into the tourney.

I'm glad for what he did for us this year but if he's our guy at 165 next year that'll be a failure on the coaches. He did well to take advantage of who was on the mat in front of him but he lost to everyone he wrestled that had a winning record. His shirt was pulled because it was probably his only chance to wrestle in Hilton, kinda like the guys at 125 last season. 165 is our biggest need for a transfer.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm glad for what he did for us this year but if he's our guy at 165 next year that'll be a failure on the coaches. He did well to take advantage of who was on the mat in front of him but he lost to everyone he wrestled that had a winning record. His shirt was pulled because it was probably his only chance to wrestle in Hilton, kinda like the guys at 125 last season. 165 is our biggest need for a transfer.

Completely agree, I have usually not specified on transfers and debated with what i know we have. This transfer thing is something I still struggle with. In the past, it generally meant JUCO people and that Avenue wasn’t a strong direction.

I’m not fully, sure who we are in on. I think 165 would be too big for straw to fill and besides, he would only be one year anyhow.

You have any idea what 165s are currently on the market?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
All I know is I am extremely excited for next year. I will be buying season tickets for the first time. Any advice on when those come up for sale and how to go about that the best way possible would be appreciated from the wrestling veterans around here. I would buy them today if I could!

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012

Agree and disagree. It's our biggest need but I'd say calling it a failure if we don't get a transfer is a little too far. It really depends on whats available and as of now from a fans perspective, not much is available for instant upgrades. Why waste scholarship to lure in a juco that won't score anymore points at NCAAs then Logan. Take that money and use for targeting blue chips.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I hope Colbray can maintain 184. I think the changing in his conditioning was one of the big reasons for his success this year. Plus, 184 clears out quite a bit next year, he could easily be Top 5.

I feel Carr has a decent chance at top 5 also, but need to temper my expectations for the Freshman.

Similarly, I think Ryan Anderson has the talent to challenge Parker, but they will probably RS al the true freshman again. That will bring some interesting decisions in 2021 @ 125 & 141 when the incumbents are Seniors.
May the best man win!

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I am guessing we will definitely redshirt Anderson and Reeves, similar to how we redshirted Carr this past year. Parker will be a top 12 wrestler at 141, and it will give Anderson a year to get on a college nutrition/weight program and also give him time to develop and get used to college life.