Next year

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Too bad Tongamoa only has one year left. VERY happy that Lima has 2 years left though. A case could easily be made for him as the team's MVP this year IMO.

OL still has a LONG ways to go though. We shouldn't have had this tough of a time running the ball against Memphis, but no holes at all once again. Hope someone can help us next year. Maybe Oge? Hudson? Mueller?

If Kempt can't come back, we start Zeb, which is fine, but we need to add a grad transfer or JUCO for back up probably.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
Replacements for seniors
Hummel/Vance for Lanning
Tongamoa Leo Lensing playing bigger roles.
Safeties?
Noland at qb
Etc

I can’t wait to see Montgomery next season. After his last carry of the season was called a fumble into end zone I can only imagine how hard he will work and how awesome he will be.
We need to be much more
Physical up front, but those guys will improve too.

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I have a lot of confidence in the staff's development of players. So I think we have guys to step in for Lanning, Lazard, Campos, Cotton-Moya, Waggoner, etc as players. What they mean to ISU as people will be harder to replace.

The thing I look for if ISU is ready to make the next step as a FB program is the development of the O & D lines. Does the OL become a solid run blocking group? Conversely, can our DL become a disruptive force when opponents pass? This will be the staff's 3rd off season- so I expect huge growth in both lines this off season.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: ISC and Lafaester54

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Jamal Johnson doesn't get talked about much but he's been on the field in some pretty big situations this year. The DL could be a strength for the next couple of years, especially if another DE steps up to replace JD.

The defense loses some key guys but a defense returning Lima, Bailey, Harvey, Spears, Peavy and Payne would still be pretty solid, not to mention a lot of young guys that have played. I'm really excited about the defense, they weren't dominant but they always played well enough to keep the game within reach.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
The defensive line should be absolutely loaded for the next couple of years:

LDE: Leo/Lensing
NG: Lima/Johnson
DT: Uwazurike/Tongamoa
LEO: Bailey

I think the staff is extremely high on the potential of Leo. We'll see. I think Uwazurike also has the flexibility to move to the edge if Johnson or Tongamoa emerge in the middle.

Reactions: isutrevman

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Narveson and Dunn coming in to help in kicking game. Hopefully we continue the improvement in the kicking/punting/special teams area. Highly undervalued thing in CFB.

Excited about Noland's potential/arm, but really hope Kempt gets another year. Not flashy, but very effective QB. He's a great story that I don't want to see end yet at ISU.

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
Overall we'll probably be about the same next year, better in the trenches, but not as good on the outside on both sides. Schedule is interesting next year too, tough road games at Iowa, OSU, TCU, and Texas could easily lose 3 of those. We also get OU really early in the year which I think is a good thing since they'll be breaking in a new QB. OSU and TCU will be breaking in new QB's as well, but those teams have been so consistent over the years. Baylor will be a lot better as I think that Rhule is pretty good coach. Games vs WVU, TTU, and KSU will be key.

• Useful
Reactions: BigLame

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Seems like a weird thing to say is I am most concerned with the off-season. These young men are the proverbial golden Child. I hope they continue to spend the weekend in the Berg, and keep creating a culture.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
What are people thinking as a win total for next year? We get 7 home games. Think we take at least 6 of those 7 home games, and get 2 on the road for at least 8 wins going into bowl game.

2018 IOWA STATE FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Sept. 1 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

Sept. 8 at %Iowa
Sept. 15 *OKLAHOMA
Sept. 22 AKRON

Sept. 29 at *TCU
Oct. 6 at *Oklahoma State
Oct. 13 *WEST VIRGINIA
Oct. 27
*TEXAS TECH
Nov. 3 at *Kansas
Nov. 10 *BAYLOR
Nov. 17 at *Texas
Nov. 24 *KANSAS STATE

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
If the offensive line can develop to the point that they can control the line of scrimmage for the run game, the sky is the limit for ISU football. Consistency from that group will determine just how far they can go.

Honestly, most of the pieces to win are there at the other position groups and I am excited about the depth being recruited across the board. I felt like we surprised this year, with the team's success probably being a year ahead of schedule in my own mind. But the schedule is brutal and it will always be difficult to see more than 8 wins on the schedule until the team goes out and does it.

That said, I'm already looking forward to next year.

koolaid.gif

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Replacements for seniors
Hummel/Vance for Lanning
Tongamoa Leo Lensing playing bigger roles.
Safeties?
Noland at qb
Etc

There will be good options to replace what we lose in the secondary. I really liked what I saw from Braxton Lewis and Lawrence White.

Jamal Johnson doesn't get talked about much but he's been on the field in some pretty big situations this year. The DL could be a strength for the next couple of years, especially if another DE steps up to replace JD.

This. Jamahl Johnson impacts the game positively every time he sees the field. It will be tough for the coaches to not play him more (and will tough for them to not play him and Lima both at the same time).