Next year's cy-hawk series

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
So far in the series who ever has won the football game has won the series. After the team wins that the school gets momentum and caries that to wins in other sports.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I bet you were praising the series last your when your precious sqwaks were winning it.:notworthy:

Like I said, I haven't ever cared about it. I don't follow it. I realize that it's to get people interested in the other sports, but outside of the Iowa-ISU meetings, do people pay attention to cross country, swimming, track, etc...?

Of course, this is my personal opinion, and maybe a lot of it has to do with the crappy advertising they do. I dunno. It just seems like a joke right now. It seems that we're being forced to believe that there is more hype than there really is.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I bet if you want to pony up the money to donate to both schools they will let you present a trophy that includes just the sports you care about.

Well, football has already got one - don't need that. Wrestling/basketball - I think bragging rights covers that just fine. I don't know why we need a trophy for everything.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Well, football has already got one - don't need that. Wrestling/basketball - I think bragging rights covers that just fine. I don't know why we need a trophy for everything.

Isn't there some stupid trophy now for basketball? I remember seeing one being presented to Drake last year after they beat UNI. I can't remember who sponsored it though.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
The only sports I don't really follow are swimming, XC, and softball. Some of the other sports I don't follow as closely as football or wrestling, but I like to read about previous games/meets and how the season is going.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006

SouthernHawk, we don't NEED one, but it benefits both schools. I don't know how much Hy-Vee gives but I believe they donate to both schools in conjunction with this trophy. If I'm wrong someone will correct me.
I don't like every sport either but, to me, anything that benefits the non-revenue sports, I'm all in favor of. By the way, access to these sports is usually great. If you've never done this, go to an indoor meet at the rec center and stand 3 feet from lane one when they run the 60 meter sprints or hurdles!!! You'll be glad you did!!

IMG_8271_950x800.jpg

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Isn't there some stupid trophy now for basketball? I remember seeing one being presented to Drake last year after they beat UNI. I can't remember who sponsored it though.

Yeah, it's called the Big Four Classic trophy or something. I dunno.

SouthernHawk, we don't NEED one, but it benefits both schools. I don't know how much Hy-Vee gives but I believe they donate to both schools in conjunction with this trophy. If I'm wrong someone will correct me.
I don't like every sport either but, to me, anything that benefits the non-revenue sports, I'm all in favor of. By the way, access to these sports is usually great. If you've never done this, go to an indoor meet at the rec center and stand 3 feet from lane one when they run the 60 meter sprints or hurdles!!! You'll be glad you did!!
That is a good point. But still, I don't think they donate a lot to both schools, at least not enough to make a significant difference in the budgets. I know Indiana and Purdue have a similar series, and it's not very well done either.

I dunno, it's just hard to get all hyped up over a commercially sponsored rivalry. I just don't get excited over track or swimming.

I kinda wonder the same thing about the Big Ten in football, there has to be 40 trophies being passed around it seems like.

Well, a lot of the rivalries have trophies going back 60 years. Floyd of Rosedale, The Ax, the turtle between Illinois and OSU, the Liberty Bell between NU and Illinois. The only new trophies are the Bull and the one between MSU and PSU - and nobody really cares all that much about them.