Next years style of play

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
As we lose all our small forward playmakers, i notice we have a good list 3pt shooting guards and power forwards. Is there a style of prohm offense that can capitalize on the 3pt shooting and forward depth we will have?

Last edited:

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
As we loose all our small forward playmakers, i notice we have a good list 3pt shooting guards and power forwards. Is there a style of prohm offense that can capitalize on the 3pt shooting and forward depth we will have?
I suspect it will be a 3 or 4 guard offense like usual.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Seams like a big difference could be more outside shots rather than dribble driving inside. Could be a lot more streaky. Also, rebounding could become far more important.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SolarGarlic

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I thought we looked good at times 2 year ago with Solomon and Cam playing together. I think we can roll with the 3 bigs filling 2 spots. If we get Anderson some time it’s a bonus. I have a feeling next season will be a defining year for Prohm in Ames.

Reactions: Goofyguy1

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Would have to think Lewis will be in the rotation along with Haliburton, Nixon, Jacobson, Conditt and Young. Leaves Zion and the incoming recruits to fight for the 7th and 8th spots.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
As we loose all our small forward playmakers, i notice we have a good list 3pt shooting guards and power forwards. Is there a style of prohm offense that can capitalize on the 3pt shooting and forward depth we will have?

Jacobsen, Conditt, and Solo have all played 5 for us and done well. I think we will go towards more of how Texas Tech played their bigs this year. They would start big with Owens and Odiase, but they wound up going small fairly early and not playing those two guys together much. When Prohm says they may play two bigs 10-15 minutes a game that’s pretty similar to what Tech did. They played big to start but went small most of the games.

Judging by what he said when Solo was a freshman, I think Prohm is much more comfortable playing young guards and maybe this team will surprise.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I think Purdy will throw to Milton a lot.... Oh wrong sport.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
With the guards that we have, I think it's going to have to be an inside out game. The post players need to show enough offense to be able to collapse the defense and kick it out to the shooters. If we're just passing the ball around the perimeter looking for a hot it's going to be a long season.

Dump it down, let the 2 post players work until a double comes. If it does, get it to the open guy. This team has to run an offense, we don't have the skill sets for the guards to create shots.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I thought we looked good at times 2 year ago with Solomon and Cam playing together. I think we can roll with the 3 bigs filling 2 spots. If we get Anderson some time it’s a bonus. I have a feeling next season will be a defining year for Prohm in Ames.
I’m still not sure why some people are underselling Anderson. He fits what Prohm wants to do with an offense better than Solomon—and it’s not like Solo’s gonna sit.

And Leech is gonna play. A lot.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Five guards.

YES!! Now that Big Ballers Brand is dead we can fill that void in the marketplace with "Small Ballers Brand" . I'll have JP start working on a trademark.

Note: The above mentioned "void in the marketplace" is 7 paris of shoes and 3 hoodies per month.

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Prohm is comfortable with running at least a 3 guard offense. We will probably still see s lot of that.
And it is lose...not loose.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Which bigs will play is obvious, in the backcourt we really only know Tyrese and Nixon. That leaves 2 or 3 spots open for a guard/wing. With 3 open schollies its way too early to even try to guess. I don't think it'll end up this way but it could potentially be 6 freshman battling Lewis and Griffin for those open spots in the rotation.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If the light were to come on and Lewis can become a contributor I will be overjoyed for him but after two years I fail to see why some continue to assume it will. As of now I'd call him an emergency three at best.

As our roster currently stands I believe Jackson can be a solid backup for Nixon and Haliburton. However, if we can add another PG all the better to insulate us from injury.

Leech may or may not be full go this fall. Grill would be the perfect compliment at the three.

Griffin is a short big in Prohm's rotation. He, Anderson and Conditt give us three different types to go with Solo and Jacobson the more conventional bigs.

Tucker is the guy that gives us a chance to run with 4 guards again.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
As we lose all our small forward playmakers, i notice we have a good list 3pt shooting guards and power forwards. Is there a style of prohm offense that can capitalize on the 3pt shooting and forward depth we will have?

Who is on the good 3pt shooter list?