NFL: NFL Considering Expansion

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I once watched the NFL. Now there are too many players/teams. I dont have the time. I will watch ISU, focus ISU. If someone has the time or the skillset to keep all NCAA and NFL teams and players straight in your head they are truly blessed. That is just me. I think talent is watered down in the NFL versus 3 decades ago. Could you imagine the NFL quality of play if there were only 20 teams?

Sounds like the mid 1960s with the NFL competing with an upstart league.

A 20 team NFL wouldn't handle the demand for pro football in 2021. There would be rival leagues competing for players and markets.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy and mkadl

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I once watched the NFL. Now there are too many players/teams. I dont have the time. I will watch ISU, focus ISU. If someone has the time or the skillset to keep all NCAA and NFL teams and players straight in your head they are truly blessed. That is just me. I think talent is watered down in the NFL versus 3 decades ago. Could you imagine the NFL quality of play if there were only 20 teams?
3 decades ago, the NFL had 28 teams, and there have been 32 for almost 20 years now. The talent isn't any less now than it was then.

Now I will concede that it may be tough to find 4 teams worth of pro level players. But that really isn't the deciding factor here. If there is a market demand for more football, the owners will try to tap into that demand.

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
I would rather see Des Moines or Omaha over Mexico City or London. Honestly, lets keep these teams in America.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
That would be cool.

Put one in Des Moines so I have something to funnel all my emotional energy into when the Big 10 and SEC finally destroy college football.

Asked AI for some potential team names! Bring on the Des Moines Artland Aces!!!

Des Moines Cornhuskers: This name directly references the state's agricultural heritage and the iconic University of Nebraska team.
Hawkeye Harriers: This nods to the state bird and the University of Iowa's mascot, while also implying speed and agility.
Prairie Wolves: This name evokes the rugged natural beauty of Iowa and the fierce spirit of the team.
Cyclone Stallions: This combines the nickname of Iowa State University with a powerful animal, symbolizing strength and determination.
Des Moines-specific:

Capitol Commanders: This references the state capitol building in Des Moines and implies leadership and authority.
Artland Aces: This name celebrates Des Moines' flourishing art scene and the team's excellence.
Skywalk Soaring Eagles: This unique name references the iconic skywalk system and a majestic bird, symbolizing freedom and ambition.
Golden Dome Gladiators: This combines the nickname of the state capitol with a fierce warrior image.
Unique and Playful:

Cobblestone Crushers: This name references the historical streets of Des Moines and the team's ability to overpower opponents.
Pork Tenderloin Toppers: This playful name incorporates a beloved Iowa food and suggests dominance.
Full Moon Fireflies: This evokes the beauty of the Midwest and implies agility and unpredictability.
Caucus Champions: This references the famous Iowa political event and the team's competitive spirit.
Ultimately, the best nickname will depend on the team's overall branding, target audience, and desired image. Consider holding a public vote or contest to engage fans and generate excitement!

I hope this gives you some inspiration!

• Puke
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Asked AI for some potential team names! Bring on the Des Moines Artland Aces!!!

Des Moines Cornhuskers: This name directly references the state's agricultural heritage and the iconic University of Nebraska team.
Hawkeye Harriers: This nods to the state bird and the University of Iowa's mascot, while also implying speed and agility.
Prairie Wolves: This name evokes the rugged natural beauty of Iowa and the fierce spirit of the team.
Cyclone Stallions: This combines the nickname of Iowa State University with a powerful animal, symbolizing strength and determination.
Des Moines-specific:

Capitol Commanders: This references the state capitol building in Des Moines and implies leadership and authority.
Artland Aces: This name celebrates Des Moines' flourishing art scene and the team's excellence.
Skywalk Soaring Eagles: This unique name references the iconic skywalk system and a majestic bird, symbolizing freedom and ambition.
Golden Dome Gladiators: This combines the nickname of the state capitol with a fierce warrior image.
Unique and Playful:

Cobblestone Crushers: This name references the historical streets of Des Moines and the team's ability to overpower opponents.
Pork Tenderloin Toppers: This playful name incorporates a beloved Iowa food and suggests dominance.
Full Moon Fireflies: This evokes the beauty of the Midwest and implies agility and unpredictability.
Caucus Champions: This references the famous Iowa political event and the team's competitive spirit.
Ultimately, the best nickname will depend on the team's overall branding, target audience, and desired image. Consider holding a public vote or contest to engage fans and generate excitement!

I hope this gives you some inspiration!
Full Moon Fireflies
The mascot is just some pantsless guy with a glow stick between his butt cheeks.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I read recently that flag football is exploding in popularity in Europe and other global markets. If that is the case they the NFL should focus on flag football, an NFFL if you will, in those markets and keep the original in the US. I think NFL in London doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I read recently that flag football is exploding in popularity in Europe and other global markets. If that is the case they the NFL should focus on flag football, an NFFL if you will, in those markets and keep the original in the US. I think NFL in London doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Flag football is fun to play but would be absolute garbage to watch. There’s no way a flag football league would do numbers.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Next NFL Expansion City​

TeamMoneylineProbability
London+29025.64%
Toronto+29025.64%
San Antonio+40020%
St. Louis+40020%
Mexico City+9509.52%
Columbus+20004.76%
Orlando+20004.76%
Omaha+20004.76%
Sacramento+20004.76%
Portland+20004.76%
Norfolk+20004.76%
Montreal+20004.76%
Salt Lake City+30003.23%
Memphis+30003.23%

https://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/expansion-city-odds

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Next NFL Expansion City​

TeamMoneylineProbability
London+29025.64%
Toronto+29025.64%
San Antonio+40020%
St. Louis+40020%
Mexico City+9509.52%
Columbus+20004.76%
Orlando+20004.76%
Omaha+20004.76%
Sacramento+20004.76%
Portland+20004.76%
Norfolk+20004.76%
Montreal+20004.76%
Salt Lake City+30003.23%
Memphis+30003.23%

https://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/expansion-city-odds
Put me down on the side of those that thinks having one or a couple teams overseas is stupid AF. You either go all in and create a presence throughout Europe or you stop trying to force people that can't even spell football correctly to drive much expansion.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Put me down on the side of those that thinks having one or a couple teams overseas is stupid AF. You either go all in and create a presence throughout Europe or you stop trying to force people that can't even spell football correctly to drive much expansion.
I have a tough time with Europe, especially if it is only London. If the NFL expands to Europe, feel like they need to go with 2 teams. That way teams in their division can simplify their logistics by making a 2 game road trip across the pond.

I would be surprised if Dallas or Houston are all that interested in a San Antonio franchise. Or the Buffalo owners interested in Toronto adding a team. But I would be curious how many Canadians make the trip across the border to watch Bills games.

It would seem like the NFL has the US pretty well covered geographically. Not sure NBA towns of Memphis, Salt Lake or Memphis could support NFL teams. Seems more likely we would see 2nd teams in the Chicago or San Francisco areas. St. Louis does make a lot of sense as they used to have football and pretty solid fan base.

I also haven't heard if there is still conjecture on Jacksonville moving.