NFL: NFL looking to double tv contracts

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

NBC, CBS and Fox are likely to accept increases closer to 100% than Disney, which is currently paying much more than the three broadcast networks for its Monday Night Football package, said the people, who asked not to be named because the negotiations are private.

Disney agreed to pay $1.9 billion annually for Monday Night Football in 2011 — a deal that runs through 2021. That dwarfed the average $1.1 billion annual cost for Fox, $1 billion annual price tag for CBS and $960 million for NBC’s Sunday Night Football.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I get why Disney/ABC is balking, as the Monday night game has diminished compared to what it used to be. That said, the NFL is still one of the best ways to get advertisements in front of eyeballs in this country. Say what you want about ratings stagnation, but regardless, a huge number of people still watch on a weekly basis, and that's something that is fairly rare in this day and age. The NFL is about to get paid, and isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: simply1 and Die4Cy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I get why Disney/ABC is balking, as the Monday night game has diminished compared to what it used to be. That said, the NFL is still one of the best ways to get advertisements in front of eyeballs in this country. Say what you want about ratings stagnation, but regardless, a huge number of people still watch on a weekly basis, and that's something that is fairly rare in this day and age. The NFL is about to get paid, and isn't going anywhere.

There will be an understanding from both sides of the bargaining table that the Monday Night Football offerings are not the same as they once were, now that SNF gets the game of the week in the NFL. Ultimately that will have to get done, though. ESPN cannot lose NFL football to the league owned NFL Network, it would be a disaster on top of everything else that has happened there in the last few years.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There will be an understanding from both sides of the bargaining table that the Monday Night Football offerings are not the same as they once were, now that SNF gets the game of the week in the NFL. Ultimately that will have to get done, though. ESPN cannot lose NFL football to the league owned NFL Network, it would be a disaster on top of everything else that has happened there in the last few years.
I'm curious to see how the NFL proceeds with streaming games. Amazon has had their finger in that pie for a little while now, and I could see them wanting to increase their footprint. Monday night Football Prime has a nice ring to it. I'd be surprised if that hasn't been used as leverage against disney.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
For the purposes of statistics, the NFL had the 5 highest rated telecasts of 2020, 12 of the top 20, and 21 of the top 50. That's one hell of a bargaining chip.

• Wow
Reactions: Gorm and simply1

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Be interesting to see how this ends up impacting player salaries as well.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
For the purposes of statistics, the NFL had the 5 highest rated telecasts of 2020, 12 of the top 20, and 21 of the top 50. That's one hell of a bargaining chip.

While the NFL provides great audiences it comes at a significant cost. FOX and CBS would likely want to tie up Sunday afternoon because there aren't a lot of programming options on Sunday afternoons that attract viewers.

Sunday Night & Monday Night are an entirely different matter. NBC and ESPN could look at alternative programming that might only attract less than NFL ratings, but programing cost might be a fraction of NFL media rights contract AND no long-term commitment. That's why reality TV is so popular. Also why Google bought YouTube!

The NFL might want to double their rights fees, but the TV networks are going to have to be convinced they can double their commercial advertising rates.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
So if they are paying more can we just always have a double header on both channels? Kind of tired of always watching the cowboys or saints at 330.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
So if they are paying more can we just always have a double header on both channels? Kind of tired of always watching the cowboys or saints at 330.
I really wish they could just ABC to the normal Sunday lineup but then I guess that would probably hurt the Sunday ticket market