NFL Strike coming.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
It's not an NFL strike. It's an NFL lockout.

A strike is when the players saying they're not going to play. A lockout is when the players are not allowed to play.

Huge difference.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Will three paychecks be enough? Can you cut spending that fast? Or will they be in the breadline?

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
It's not an NFL strike. It's an NFL lockout.

A strike is when the players saying they're not going to play. A lockout is when the players are not allowed to play.

Huge difference.

changed.

either way...it will be awhile before you see the Bears after this season.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Will three paychecks be enough? Can you cut spending that fast? Or will they be in the breadline?

If most of these guys can't live one year without their NFL paychecks then they have been horrible with financial planning. Most will still have some sort of endorsement money and I'm sure most will go on speaking tours and get appearance money. This will affect some of the borderline players as they weren't making huge amounts, but they still should be able to change some aspects of their lives and piggy back on some speaking tours with the other players to help get them through. I would hope that the borderline players would already have a contingency plan in place already as their status in the NFL was not super secure anyways.

Next year will be the perfect time to find out which NFL players are like Latrelle Spreewell and Antoine Walker, they will be the first ones complaining and the first to declare bankruptcy, etc. Most guys like this can't comprehend if they live a reasonable lifestyle while playing and invest their money instead of spending it on huge houses, 50 cars, an entourage, etc. that when they are done in the NFL they will never have to work a day in their lives.

My dad's family is originally from NE Nebraska and they know some relatives of Russ Hochstein. He is a guard for the Broncos currently and supposedly he has bought over 1000 acres of irrigated farm ground in Cedar County, NE. If he can continue this trend and buy the land outright like he has been he can live off a very nice salary from renting out the land on top of his NFL pension. It's amazing to me how many players in the NFL can't see that a simple plan like this will set them up for life.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
changed.

either way...it will be awhile before you see the Bears after this season.

a strike/lockout may come to pass, but this is mostly a public posturing move. Each side wants the other to think that they are 100% prepared to take this as far as they can. It's too early to say with any certainty that there won't be football next year. We might see less early declarations by college players though. Andrew Luck and John Clay for example.

Last edited:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I am siding with the players on this one, as much as I love the NFL and especially playing fantasy football.

There's an old saying; "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" By putting on emphasis on player safety and fining defensive players like James Harrison for all these hits, while simultaneously pushing for an 18-game regular season schedule, that's EXACTLY what the NFL is doing. It redefines hypocrisy and insults my mine and the players intelligence.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
a strike/lockout may come to pass, but this is mostly a public posturing move. Each side wants the other to think that they are 100% prepared to take this as far as they can. It's too early to say with any certainty that there won't be football next year. We might see less early declarations by college players though. Andrew Luck and John Clay for example.

Oh, there will be football next year, but there will also be a lockout. Guarantee on both.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Oh, there will be football next year, but there will also be a lockout. Guarantee on both.

way too early to say that with any certainty, especially as a fan who has been fed nothing but the PR that both sides have been spoonfeeding us. May well be that you're correct, but there's a ton of time between now and then. Things can change in a hurry.

fanaticagain

Jun 6, 2009
Even if a lockout comes when the CBA expires on March 3rd, it doesn't mean there won't be a season. The issues could still be resolved during the offseason. I heard one analyst say that they could come to an agreement as late as a couple of weeks before the season is set to start and still play a full season.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
way too early to say that with any certainty, especially as a fan who has been fed nothing but the PR that both sides have been spoonfeeding us. May well be that you're correct, but there's a ton of time between now and then. Things can change in a hurry.

You just keep holding on to your hope that there will be the full season. There is a reason people have been saying a lockout is coming for quite a while now. Because there is.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
Even if a lockout comes when the CBA expires on March 3rd, it doesn't mean there won't be a season. The issues could still be resolved during the offseason. I heard one analyst say that they could come to an agreement as late as a couple of weeks before the season is set to start and still play a full season.

Depending on when exactly they wake up and realize that they're being stupid, there will be either a 12 or 8 game season.

MadTownCy

Apr 11, 2006
Re: NFL Lockout coming.

If we are supposed to feel sorry for the players not receiving their paychecks next year, don't count me in. Many of these players make more in one year then people do their entire working career.

The players and owners need a dose of reality.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You just keep holding on to your hope that there will be the full season. There is a reason people have been saying a lockout is coming for quite a while now. Because there is.

who is holding out hope? I think it's a very likely that it will happen, however to "guarantee" that it will happen at this point, is naive.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
There is just too much money to be lost to not have a football season. All these little reports comming out on both sides is just them trying to get the public on their side. I feel that the owners are pushing for an 18 game schedule just so they can take it away later and say they were making concessions.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron