Nice Grantland Article

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
For the most part, it was a nice read...but I'm not sure it needed the condescending quotes from Self.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
For the most part, it was a nice read...but I'm not sure it needed the condescending quotes from Self.

I guess it’s a destination, Kansas City is, for their fans because they packed them in here.

No Bill. Kansas City is not a destination. Wherever our team is is the destination. Go wax your rug.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
According to Self, nobody will remember this one. I think he was trying to convince himself.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I wish there was a list of all of the positive national articles written about Iowa state and hoiberg over the last 5 years.

We are so, so lucky.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
That's what I was trying to tell someone on another thread. He always just gives backhanded compliments to the other team after he loses and tries to downplay the other team's win. He's such an *** hole.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I loved this line-
This phenomenon was noted even by Self, who watched his team dissolve in an arena that was raucous with Iowa State partisans. If you wanted to steal a tractor in Ames, this was the weekend to do it.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
That's what I was trying to tell someone on another thread. He always just gives backhanded compliments to the other team after he loses and tries to downplay the other team's win. He's such an *** hole.

I only read Self's comments, I didn't see video, but do they really sound so bad? I interpreted what he said as meaning that their losing on Saturday night won't linger long because by the time the NCAA brackets are announced everyone will be focusing on that matchup, not dwelling on the past. And he's right!

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I loved this line-
This phenomenon was noted even by Self, who watched his team dissolve in an arena that was raucous with Iowa State partisans. If you wanted to steal a tractor in Ames, this was the weekend to do it.

Huh. I actually cringed when I read that line. Interesting.....

Go Cyclones!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
According to Self, nobody will remember this one. I think he was trying to convince himself.

His decisions and personnel choices don't reflect that. If this game was meaningless, why did an injured Perry Ellis play 30 minutes??

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I only read Self's comments, I didn't see video, but do they really sound so bad? I interpreted what he said as meaning that their losing on Saturday night won't linger long because by the time the NCAA brackets are announced everyone will be focusing on that matchup, not dwelling on the past. And he's right!

I saw two interviews with Self and 'nobody will remember' was the theme of his responses. Yes, we are now focused on the tourney. But next year when the Big 12 tournament starts in KC, I wonder if Self will say he can't remember who won that classic the last two years?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I saw two interviews with Self and 'nobody will remember' was the theme of his responses. Yes, we are now focused on the tourney. But next year when the Big 12 tournament starts in KC, I wonder if Self will say he can't remember who won that classic the last two years?

I'm just not sure what he's supposed to say in that situation. His comments seemed plenty gracious to me. I just found a clip where he said it didn't matter even if KU had won, that the turnaround from the Big 12 Championship to NCAA announcements is quick and it's time to move on. So it doesn't strike me as a backhanded compliment.

I think people who seek to be offended are going to find something to be offended about.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I'm just not sure what he's supposed to say in that situation. His comments seemed plenty gracious to me. I just found a clip where he said it didn't matter even if KU had won, that the turnaround from the Big 12 Championship to NCAA announcements is quick and it's time to move on. So it doesn't strike me as a backhanded compliment.

I think people who seek to be offended are going to find something to be offended about.
If nobody would remember, then why did he play an injured Perry Ellis, risking further injury? Would he have said the same if they won, or would he have said something along the lines of "this helps our team's confidence heading into the tournament"? He is a ***** and I'm glad he lost.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009

I think if it was just one quote, it could be taken with a grain of salt. But when you take all of them together, and picture him talking while licking his lips with his smug smile, it comes across as extremely condescending.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
If nobody would remember, then why did he play an injured Perry Ellis, risking further injury? Would he have said the same if they won, or would he have said something along the lines of "this helps our team's confidence heading into the tournament"? He is a ***** and I'm glad he lost.

He didn't say it didn't matter. He didn't say that the game was inconsequential for all of eternity. He said that once NCAA pairings come out, people aren't focused on the results of that game anymore. As for Perry Ellis, he also said very directly that the purpose for playing Ellis this weekend was to get him back in rhythm for next week.

Man, the sense of grievance among sports fans knows no bounds. We won! The opposing coach was complimentary! Move on!