NIL donations taxable?

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Hang on to your hat and keep your checkbook ready to write another check…to the IRS. The IRS has stated that NIL donors will be taxed & the money that goes into a NIL collective will not be tax-exempt. That’s a dash of cold water for ya…
I just listened to the Williams and Blum podcast from Sunday. Blum specifically said that the We Will collective already received their letter of affirmation of tax exempt status recently.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Let's slow our roll here. Most NIL collectives that take the money aren't tax exempt, as they were never a tax exempt entity to begin with. You aren't taxed on giving money, only if you were trying to claim a charity deduction to a organization that wasn't tax exempt. It's no different than if you donate to anyone else, it's your money it's not income there is no tax to the giver.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The ISU Foundation is tax exempt but donations to the foundation for preferred seating status are technically not tax deductible...

And frankly most people don't itemize anymore so it really doesn't mean a lot unless states offer a deduction for charitable contributions.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Frankly, I don't know how they were ever construed as tax-exempt...

Plus, with the changes (increases) to standard deductions you have to have a LOT of charitable dollars to make itemizing a thing for a lot of peeps now. First time in decades I went standard was a couple of years ago. Thinking of doing charity stuff, like ISU Foundation, every two years now, Two years worth in one year would make it back into itemizing for that tax year.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I just listened to the Williams and Blum podcast from Sunday. Blum specifically said that the We Will collective already received their letter of affirmation of tax exempt status recently.
This is correct. Until we hear otherwise from the IRS any gifts made to We Will Collective are still tax deductible. If you’re not comfortable going that route you can always join the We Will Club at wewillclub.com. I’ll definitely keep everyone in the loop as this changes but this hasn’t impacted us or our donors yet.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
This is correct. Until we hear otherwise from the IRS any gifts made to We Will Collective are still tax deductible. If you’re not comfortable going that route you can always join the We Will Club at wewillclub.com. I’ll definitely keep everyone in the loop as this changes but this hasn’t impacted us or our donors yet.
Most collectives don't operate like We Will and I think you guys have positioned yourselves well to keep your tax exempt status. Just speculating but I'd say 95% of the currently operating collectives will not be tax exempt.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and brentblum

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Most collectives don't operate like We Will and I think you guys have positioned yourselves well to keep your tax exempt status. Just speculating but I'd say 95% of the currently operating collectives will not be tax exempt.
Probably fair. Thankfully we have the for profit route setup and functional if the tax exempt area is regulated. But for now it doesn’t impact donors, hopefully that information is useful!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think 100% of your numbers are made up.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Tax law changes, starting in 2018, made the option of using itemized deductions on a schedule A for the vast majority of 1040 filers almost nonexistent. This makes the issue of "deductible contribution" a moot point.

Make a contribution, don't think tax benefit.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Do you really not listen to the Williams and Blum podcast?
Nope. If they, like many podcasters, offered a bullet point summary I’d likely look at that. And what Blum may have said is irrelevant to the reason for the post. The IRS has stated the stance is changing as a look at NIL moves forward. While the ISU group may be just fine it’s also possible things will change.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The ISU Foundation is tax exempt but donations to the foundation for preferred seating status are technically not tax deductible...

And frankly most people don't itemize anymore so it really doesn't mean a lot unless states offer a deduction for charitable contributions.

Technically......................LOL