Nissan Maxima Reliability

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Bought a 2013 Rogue,new, drove it two years and traded it for a new 2015 Rogue. It has 58,000 on it in year six. No complaints, trouble free and good mileage on both. Only issue is that Nissan dealers are located in metros and we are 100 miles from any dealer. So far that has not been a problem. But if you are in a rural area that may be a problem with a 10 year old car with 170,000 miles.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I have extensive experience with Nissan CVTs. My general experiences:

Versa and Sentra: Avoid like the plague. Complete garbage.

Altima: Seem to be ok. There's a ton of them on the road and as a percentage I don't see a whole lot of problems with them.

Maxima: Not a lot of experience with them as they don't make all that many. But I can't imagine it's significantly different than the one they use on the V6 Altimas. The previous conventional transmissions weren't great.

Murano: Surprisingly decent. They must build them beefier because of the extra weight. Maybe they do the same for the Maxima because of the relatively high horsepower.

Generally speaking, for whatever reason most transmission shops don't work on CVTs. Some of it is because they can be finicky. some of it is because they're a different beast. So they install reman ones. $3500-4000 generally.

If there's a weak link on older Nissans, it's the catalytic converters. They are not made for the long haul. But if one fails, it won't leave you stranded either.

Edit: Rogue: Better than the ones used in Sentra/Versa, but not as reliable as Altima, at least in the 08-11 year range.

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Lexus and Mazda are all very reliable cars. I drive a Mazda myself and I have abused this car through Uber etc and all I do is oil change, breaks and tires.
If there is anything the Japanese hate is mediocrity. They don’t want anyone to mess with their brands especially when it comes to their cars and durability. So if I were you, would buy that car and you won’t regret it. Good luck.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Have you considered taking a look at Consumer Reports to see what their unbiased opinion might be. A $5 magazine might cost a whole lot less than possible repair bills.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
My brother in law has one of these that's probably about 10 years old and has nearly 170,000 miles on it. He's offering to sell it to me in another year as a kid car. I know he's taken good care of it, but have generally been leery of Nissan's because of their repair reputation. I am nervous in particular about their transmissions and as they run CVT's and not regular transmissions. This one has the V6 in it. Curious if any Fanatics have these and what your experience has been with them?

I know this can vary a lot as I have a Toyota, Honda, and Dodge now and while Dodge's don't have great reputations, mine has been really good and actually I've spent less money on repairs on it than the other two!

Would appreciate any feedback from people who have experience with these. Thanks!

I recommend waiting 5 more years and another 50,000 miles just to be safe.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Titan XD was Consumer Reports Worst Vehicle Overall in 2020.

I'd take that with a grain of salt. One, it is impossible to know long term reliability on a 2020 model year vehicle. Two, once you get outside the realm of reliability, it in large part devolves to opinions, which are subjective. Knowing CR, their biggest gripe is likely about something irrelevant such as the XD only being available as a 4WD model and are knocking it because of having to spend extra $$$ and give up fuel economy.

Reactions: Die4Cy

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Have you considered taking a look at Consumer Reports to see what their unbiased opinion might be. A $5 magazine might cost a whole lot less than possible repair bills.
Actually I am a subscriber and while I do value their opinion, they are not perfect. Case in point they are not fans of Dodge Durangos yet the one I own has 207,000 miles on it, has been relatively repair free, and I love driving it.

Consumer Reports is actually why am posing the question here as I know they don't tend to rate Nissan well. I want to hear what real world long term drivers think.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Actually I am a subscriber and while I do value their opinion, they are not perfect. Case in point they are not fans of Dodge Durangos yet the one I own has 207,000 miles on it, has been relatively repair free, and I love driving it.

Consumer Reports is actually why am posing the question here as I know they don't tend to rate Nissan well. I want to hear what real world long term drivers think.
It sounds like you got lucky with the Durango. If you love a Durango with 207k miles, you're probably going to think the Maxima is amazing.

I value the opinion of CF but you may get 3-4 people that have actually owned a Maxima, which most likely won't be the same year as what you're considering. It looks to me like the big thing is that CVT transmission, which almost always is the thing with Nissans. The other place I would check are maxima forums liek this one. 7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) - Maxima Forums

Reactions: usedcarguy

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
When I last bought I took the Rogue off my list because of a lot of chatter about crap CVT. Wasn't worth the risk for me.
I hadn't noted this about the Altima or Maxima.

Last edited:

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
I’ve got a newer 2018 Altima that I got used at a year old with like 12k on it. Up to 32k right now and no issues. Low mileage obviously so we’ll see how it progresses. I love the way they ride and think that the Altima’s/Maximas are the best looking “economy” brand sedan out there.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Does that mean the Tundra is good or bad.

Good. The Hemi's have lifter problems, the GMs have variable cylinder management problems, and while the Ford 5.0s are bulletproof engines, their Ecoboost V6s are garbage with stretched timing chains and the obligatory occasional turbo issue. Toyotas aren't perfect, but if I was going to own a 10-15 year old model, the Tundra would be my first choice.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLONE STATE

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Good. The Hemi's have lifter problems, the GMs have variable cylinder management problems, and while the Ford 5.0s are bulletproof engines, their Ecoboost V6s are garbage with stretched timing chains and the obligatory occasional turbo issue. Toyotas aren't perfect, but if I was going to own a 10-15 year old model, the Tundra would be my first choice.

If you were buying a new full size pickup, which one's do you consider to be the best?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
It sounds like you got lucky with the Durango. If you love a Durango with 207k miles, you're probably going to think the Maxima is amazing.

I value the opinion of CF but you may get 3-4 people that have actually owned a Maxima, which most likely won't be the same year as what you're considering. It looks to me like the big thing is that CVT transmission, which almost always is the thing with Nissans. The other place I would check are maxima forums liek this one. 7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) - Maxima Forums

Yeah two other people I know with Durango's did have a lot of problems. I have been lucky. It was a work vehicle that I bought from my company and only have $4,500 into it so can move on pretty quickly if it starts bleeding me.

Do think will pass on the Nissan and go with something with a better reliability reputation..

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
CVT transmissions are not all the same. Some are excellent while others are a problem waiting to happen.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Has your relative indicated or have records of any CVT work on this car? If not, sounds like a dang reliable transmission if it's at 170k with no issues.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Yeah two other people I know with Durango's did have a lot of problems. I have been lucky. It was a work vehicle that I bought from my company and only have $4,500 into it so can move on pretty quickly if it starts bleeding me.

Do think will pass on the Nissan and go with something with a better reliability reputation..

You haven't said how much the Maxima is being offered for. That really should dictate your decision. If he's offering it for anything lower than KBB private party value ($5k) you're getting a decent deal. (Trade in value is $3k)