MLB: NLCS Preview Philadelphia Phillies and Los Angeles Dodgers

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
cysball20-I'd be interested in your take on Joe's use of the bullpen last night in the 7-5 Phillies win. My take on Joe is that he does an overall good job as a manager, but his use of the bullpen leaves me scratching my head too many times (I've watched all but a few Dodger games this year). Last night Lowe had settled in after a rough first inning, and was pitching well in the 4th and 5th. Then Joe decides he'll lift him for a 20 year old rookie in the 6th (Lowe has said he was fine and his pitch count wasn't high). True Kershaw pitched well a few days ago in Philly, but he came in with the Dodgers behind 8-2, so not exactly a pressure situation. Joe uses up our 3 lefties in the middle innings so none were available for Stairs in the 8th. He also brings in Wade after he pitched 2 tough innings the night before. I thought Joe butchered the pitching decisions last night and likely cost us the game.

Reactions: djkent01

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I didn't see anything wrong with lifting Lowe at that point. When Lowe loses it, he loses it fast and gets the ball up, meaning long balls. Granted, home runs don't lead to sustained rallies like walks and hits, but I think Torre went with his gut and not a bad move.

I really don't have a problem with Joe bringing in Kershaw in that spot either. You don't NEED a lefty in that spot and I think Park could have gotten through, but all in all, Kershaw is one of your best guys and that is a good spot for him.

After that, I'm not sure... I don't think bringing in Park and Beimel in that inning was necessary. I wouldn't have hooked Kershaw so quick, even with the pinch hitter and if Park is the guy you have confidence in he should have started the inning, even with Howard up. Then you burn Beimel for Jenkins, er Taguchi, uh oh...

Bringing in Wade was the big mistake though, not in that spot, not after 33 pitches...

Basically, I think he should have either gone Park in the 6, then Kuo in the 7th and into the 8th with Maddux and Beimel depending on the situation, and close with Brox...

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
It's hard to second guess Torre, especially given the success he's had with the bullpen recently, and I don't have nearly the baseball knowledge 20 has, but I'm with Cyko on this one. It would also have been nice to have Saito last night.

Pitching aside, the biggest letdown last night was Martin's performance at the plate. He's been big for us at times, but last night gave Manny no support outside of an RBI groundout. The plate was set for him and I really thought going into it that he'd have a monster game.

I have to believe the series is over, but I'll keep on rooting. The Phillies have clearly shown that they can win a game in a single inning and I can't imagine three games going by without them having at least one big inning - especially since two are home games for them (provided they get that far).

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Agree on Martin, he's an all star and hasn't stepped up enough in key situations. He caught a bad break though with the bases loaded liner that just missed being a 2 run single and instead turned into a double play. Had Loney's liner off the wall been 2 feet higher we also get two more runs in the first, so a few breaks didn't go our way. I think they said if we can get to the Series, Saito may be available, but it's a real uphill climb now.