No Tenacity

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
If this team plans to make it past the Sweet 16 they need to learn how to put their foot on people’s throat. They play with no tenacity. Our two time All-American F Joens got owned by their F Siegrist most of the game (which is how you end up with 32 and 12). Siegrist played the entire 40 min for them too. After awhile wouldn’t you take it personal?!?! I know CBF has forgotten more about coaching than I ever will know but I would love to see him get after people. I was waiting for it during the atomic meltdown against UNC out in Oregon. Nothing. Tonight? Nothing. Light a fire, Bill!!!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Disagree with everything other than they need to play tenacious. Joens and Siegrist didn’t match up 1:1 throughout this game. Didn’t need to. Our defense is what kept things held together in the third and fourth quarters. our tenacity essentially shut all of their offense aside from Siegrist down. That was the difference in the game. The big difference? ISU has a team with lots of options and Villanova has one.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We beat a Top 25 team on a neutral court in a game we were ahead by double digits nearly the entire game. We had all 5 starters in double digits. Just a strange game to take up this argument.

I'd imagine where this is coming from is Siegrist played with alot of visible emotion. I really liked her game and disposition on the floor. But I think people too often equate yelling and screaming with competitive and intense. You can have plenty of tenacity and not yell and scream.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We beat a Top 25 team on a neutral court in a game we were ahead by double digits nearly the entire game. We had all 5 starters in double digits. Just a strange game to take up this argument.

I'd imagine where this is coming from is Siegrist played with alot of visible emotion. I really liked her game and disposition on the floor. But I think people too often equate yelling and screaming with competitive and intensity. You can have plenty of tenacity and not yelling and scream.

If it’s not a game where ISU jumps out to a 17-2 lead and cruises to a 20 pt victory then it’s not a good game and a complete failure of someone or something going on “behind the scenes”. That goes for every sport. I said this in another thread, ISU fan is now just more active and passionate Iowa fan.

I’d really like to know what kind of readings the OP was getting on their “tenacimometer”. A lot of people think that if you aren’t yelling, flexing, scowling then you aren’t being “tenacious”.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I'd imagine where this is coming from is Siegrist played with alot of visible emotion. I really liked her game and disposition on the floor. But I think people too often equate yelling and screaming with competitive and intensity. You can have plenty of tenacity and not yell and scream.
I only caught the last bit after coming home from the mens game so not very educated about yesterday. That said I think it is a problem. I’ve thought for a few years Bill is unwilling to make adjustments in games. In the past I’ve thought it was a personnel issue but I think we have the players this year. Just very frustrating to watch.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I only caught the last bit after coming home from the mens game so not very educated about yesterday. That said I think it is a problem. I’ve thought for a few years Bill is unwilling to make adjustments in games. In the past I’ve thought it was a personnel issue but I think we have the players this year. Just very frustrating to watch.

Have seen this mentioned a few times about adjustments - not sure what people are expecting. One thing I did notice was that they did post up Emily more and seemed to have the guards attack (Ryan / Donarski) the basket more. The results were mixed of those but it was a change in approach. Guessing the 20 3pt attempts is on the low end for this team. Also Ashley was pulled at one point for forcing a shot when she was double teamed - don't think you can bench her long term but just try to get her attention.

Also Soares being out for a large part of the second half played a big part in the offensive approach.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I’ve watched a couple games and my big criticism is we have a tendency to get very stagnant on offense for long portions of the game. It’s like we try to do one thing and one thing only and if that option is taken away we try to force it anyway.

We are a really talented team and at times really fun to watch. They have to figure out how to avoid those long stretches of no buckets and terrible offensive sets.

ISUguy

Prime Сasual Dating - Authentic Ladies
Jun 27, 2006
Have seen this mentioned a few times about adjustments - not sure what people are expecting. One thing I did notice was that they did post up Emily more and seemed to have the guards attack (Ryan / Donarski) the basket more. The results were mixed of those but it was a change in approach. Guessing the 20 3pt attempts is on the low end for this team. Also Ashley was pulled at one point for forcing a shot when she was double teamed - don't think you can bench her long term but just try to get her attention.

Also Soares being out for a large part of the second half played a big part in the offensive approach.
I just think we have very high expectations this year (rightly so) as this could be on paper the best team Bill has had during his time here. So there is some impatience when teams go on runs and we struggle to stop them. I am guessing the team will continue to jell with our new addition and should only get better as the season progresses.

Also, we likely will see these early leads again like we have so far this season and it will be interesting to see how we can successfully manage the game. The best part about building a big lead is that you have some buffer if teams go on runs against you, like we saw yesterday. Did not work as well vs. North Carolina, but yesterday things smoothed out.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If it’s not a game where ISU jumps out to a 17-2 lead and cruises to a 20 pt victory then it’s not a good game and a complete failure of someone or something going on “behind the scenes”. That goes for every sport. I said this in another thread, ISU fan is now just more active and passionate Iowa fan.

I’d really like to know what kind of readings the OP was getting on their “tenacimometer”. A lot of people think that if you aren’t yelling, flexing, scowling then you aren’t being “tenacious”.

Let's be honest. There was holding on every play and the OC needs fired.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I just think we have very high expectations this year (rightly so) as this could be on paper the best team Bill has had during his time here. So there is some impatience when teams go on runs and we struggle to stop them. I am guessing the team will continue to jell with our new addition and should only get better as the season progresses.

Also, we likely will see these early leads again like we have so far this season and it will be interesting to see how we can successfully manage the game. The best part about building a big lead is that you have some buffer if teams go on runs against you, like we saw yesterday. Did not work as well vs. North Carolina, but yesterday things smoothed out.
Agree with this - One thing that stuck out to me was the start of the second half Emily had two unusual turnovers and I think that made us spiral a bit. A couple early baskets in the second half could change the flow of the entire half.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
It looked like Nova was going to go on a big run in the 3rd and the team finally responded in that situation. It was a great win against a good team on a neutral court
I know what this game was and how it turned out. Teams with Final Four aspirations do not have a survive and move on mentality. The standard is dominate at all times. I'm just saying we will not get past the Sweet 16 when you take an entire quarter off (again) and the opponents have multiple Siegrists. I had huge concerns about leadership after the North Carolina and Iowa game and it reared it ugly head again. I look at many of the elite coaches like Bill Self, Geno Auriemma, and Pat Summit - they aren't afraid to light a fire when a fire needs lit. I haven't seen that when it was needed this year.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I know what this game was and how it turned out. Teams with Final Four aspirations do not have a survive and move on mentality. The standard is dominate at all times. I'm just saying we will not get past the Sweet 16 when you take an entire quarter off (again) and the opponents have multiple Siegrists. I had huge concerns about leadership after the North Carolina and Iowa game and it reared it ugly head again. I look at many of the elite coaches like Bill Self, Geno Auriemma, and Pat Summit - they aren't afraid to light a fire when a fire needs lit. I haven't seen that when it was needed this year.
Very very few teams dominate at all times. This was a top 25 opponent and we won by 12 and were leading pretty handily most of the game. Not sure what you want. This team definitely has things to work on but no one plays an A game 100% of the time

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Very very few teams dominate at all times. This was a top 25 opponent and we won by 12 and were leading pretty handily most of the game. Not sure what you want. This team definitely has things to work on but no one plays an A game 100% of the time

100% agree here. We're a really talented team and people have high expectations, but we did dominate a top 25 opponent and that shouldn't be overlooked. I think in the bigger picture, we have seen some weaknesses against the top 10-15 teams where we go long stretches without scoring because we get a little too one-dimensional and we can't seem to recover. Doesn't mean we aren't a great team or that we can't figure out a way to get better in those areas. From what I've seen, any team below the top 15, we don't even need an A game to beat them because we're that good. We're definitely spoiled.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

The game before ours yesterday UConn gave up a big lead to Florida State (not a top 25 team) and they had to fight back. It happens to every team at one time or another.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
100% agree here. We're a really talented team and people have high expectations, but we did dominate a top 25 opponent and that shouldn't be overlooked. I think in the bigger picture, we have seen some weaknesses against the top 10-15 teams where we go long stretches without scoring because we get a little too one-dimensional and we can't seem to recover. Doesn't mean we aren't a great team or that we can't figure out a way to get better in those areas. From what I've seen, any team below the top 15, we don't even need an A game to beat them because we're that good. We're definitely spoiled.
Agreed. I would put this team as like top 12-15ish right now. Have some really good players but also some flaws. It wasn't a very good 3rd quarter yesterday but they at least responded and stemmed the run which was a big step forward for this group. If they can start 2nd halves better and keep Soares out of foul trouble that's huge. Also great to see Emily Ryan step up and be aggressive on offense. Seems like in our losses or our game against UNI the team was just hoping Ashley and Soares would do something when things got rough. We need a good 3rd option on offense because otherwise teams just clamp down on our 2 best players.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Shots aren't going to fall for stretches in games. That is to be expected. That said, I think our defensive intensity does get very relaxed at times too. It's how UNC came back from a 20 point deficit, we let them do whatever they wanted on offense and they made shots.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If this team plans to win 2 games over a weekend in March against teams that may or may not be good or bad matchups no matter how well either team has been playing, they'd better have it all together in December because nothing changes throughout a slog of a basketball season!