Non-paranoid AI thread

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've found one entertainment benefit of AI are some of these YouTube videos out there people are using AI voice generators to create content. There are some hilarious ones like Hank Hill singing country music songs or POTUS playing GTA and other games with each other.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Saw this headline about UPS laying off 12,000 managers because of AI. Of course there are other underlying benefits for the company, but that’s a lot of jobs this early in the revolution.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
OpenAI announced their video generative model Sora last month. It's not available to the public yet, but some of the demos are pretty crazy. Hard to imagine where this will be in a couple of years.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
OpenAI announced their video generative model Sora last month. It's not available to the public yet, but some of the demos are pretty crazy. Hard to imagine where this will be in a couple of years.

The speed at which it's gone from vaporware to actual quality rendering of pics and videos is amazing. Will be interesting to see if it slows down now or keeps rapidly developing. There will be a plateau at some point, even with the hundreds of billions of dollars being thrown at it.

Now, AI generated, factual writing seems a bit further out.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
The most fascinating thing - which is exciting and frightening at the same time - is how simple the commands are.

I ignorantly thought you had to be some talented programmer or technologist to operate it. But the commands are almost spoken language.

Like “make a video of [fill in the blank]”.

I may be slightly over simplifying but have seen the same in my work setting. Had a colleague write a simple command asking our AI program to listen to like 10,000 recorded phone calls with customers, summarize in bullet point format, categorize the tone of the conversation (content, angry, confused, etc) and then highlight where specific topics were discussed.

The results were pretty amazing and I was absolutely shocked by how simple the commands were to obtain those results.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The most fascinating thing - which is exciting and frightening at the same time - is how simple the commands are.

I ignorantly thought you had to be some talented programmer or technologist to operate it. But the commands are almost spoken language.

Like “make a video of [fill in the blank]”.

I may be slightly over simplifying but have seen the same in my work setting. Had a colleague write a simple command asking our AI program to listen to like 10,000 recorded phone calls with customers, summarize in bullet point format, categorize the tone of the conversation (content, angry, confused, etc) and then highlight where specific topics were discussed.

The results were pretty amazing and I was absolutely shocked by how simple the commands were to obtain those results.

NLP is pretty sweet

Reactions: nrg4isu

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Btw another amazing aspect of AI will be the speed in which we can read an interpret medical images that will radically reshape the field of radiology. This is dramatically going to reduce ED wait times and have a major impact on patient flow. Sat through a talk about it yesterday and it’s very interesting.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The more I learn about the AI capabilities the more I can't see this revolution in a non-paranoid way.

We will quickly lose jobs. Lose the ability (even more) of digesting, analyzing, and developing an opinion.

Whomever controls the AI controls the world.

I cannot see any of this ending well. I can't be free of paranoia

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Btw another amazing aspect of AI will be the speed in which we can read an interpret medical images that will radically reshape the field of radiology. This is dramatically going to reduce ED wait times and have a major impact on patient flow. Sat through a talk about it yesterday and it’s very interesting.
Yep I work at Oracle/Cerner and there's a ton of work going on around adding AI to medical workflows like this. Some of our EVPs are a bit too optimistic around timelines IMO but there's a stated goal to essentially make it so physicians and nurses have little to no touches with our system due to voice recognition and AI implementations. One of the biggest things is how much it could help transitions when 1 nurse or doctor ends there shift and another takes over, which is were so many mistakes occur.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Yep I work at Oracle/Cerner and there's a ton of work going on around adding AI to medical workflows like this. Some of our EVPs are a bit too optimistic around timelines IMO but there's a stated goal to essentially make it so physicians and nurses have little to no touches with our system due to voice recognition and AI implementations. One of the biggest things is how much it could help transitions when 1 nurse or doctor ends there shift and another takes over, which is were so many mistakes occur.
Oh wow this is fascinating, please post updates to this as you can. Was legit stuck an extra hour last night solely due to imaging issues/delays with sign out. If you don’t mind me asking what other processes are they actively trying to navigate?

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Oh wow this is fascinating, please post updates to this as you can. Was legit stuck an extra hour last night solely due to imaging issues/delays with sign out. If you don’t mind me asking what other processes are they actively trying to navigate?
I work in Patient Accounting where it's not a huge focus yet, it's more of a general goal on the clinician side of things. Mike Sicilia is an EVP who's testified to congress a couple times to defend our VA/DoD contract and I think he mentioned it in some of those. Any public facing news will likely come through him.

• Informative
Reactions: FriendlySpartan