Norman Borlaug on theChive

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
N.E. Iowa guy and one of the most important people of the 20th century. I hope Iowa kids learn about him now because my generation didn't.

Yeah, I remember going to a lecture by him because it was required for a class. I was like who the **** is this guy. Now I just feel honored to be able to attend a lecture by such a great man.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
N.E. Iowa guy and one of the most important people of the 20th century. I hope Iowa kids learn about him now because my generation didn't.

Agreed. My daughter has done a paper and a presentation about him and we've gone to his boyhood home to get pictures. Compare that to the fact that I probably wouldn't have heard of him until my college years if it weren't for the sign you see when you drive into Cresco. I don't recall him discussed in my high school history, or more surprisingly ag classes.

Easily the most important person I have or probably ever will meet in person.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Agreed. My daughter has done a paper and a presentation about him and we've gone to his boyhood home to get pictures. Compare that to the fact that I probably wouldn't have heard of him until my college years if it weren't for the sign you see when you drive into Cresco. I don't recall him discussed in my high school history, or more surprisingly ag classes.

Easily the most important person I have or probably ever will meet in person.

Great that she's learning about him (Postville and Cresco have Nobel Prize winners; Decorah needs to step up its game).