Nostalgia for the 90's and 00's

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Getting kicked off the internet because someone called the landline
On that topic: the Iowa telecom ad they would play all the time during Iowa State games with the phone and computer that went “I’m online and you’re ringing”

It was so stupid but I loved that ad

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Born in '85.

Things I miss the most from that time:
-Guitar driven rock music being commercially viable/popular in youth culture
-No smart phones
-Ladies wearing low rise jeans instead of the high waisted mom jeans that are in now
-Monoculture. Nearly everyone had some shared awareness of pop culture. Now it's so segmented and niche.
-Related to monoculture, but one set of facts politically. In the 90's and 00's, political division was centered around debating the best solution. Now people can't even agree on basic reality from which to center a debate.
-College athletic conferences that made sense

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Pizza hut was seriously special. I respect the hell out of Godfather's because they didn't get caught up in the cheap pizza gold rush in the mid 2000's and stayed true to their quality. GF's is just as good now as when I was a kid.
I had some pretty bad Godfathers pizza at the Omaha airport on Wednesday. Just saying.

mcharlet

Nov 30, 2020
Completely random and stream of consciousness at this moment:

1.) By far the most nostalgic, Longnecks of Pepsi in a 6-pack

2.) Folgers Commercials. Catchy jingle sang by different musicians....Rockapella themselves also VERY nostalgic for me

3.) Late 90s early 00s TGIF Fridays. Family would always watch TGIF on Friday nights...ALWAYS. Step-By-Step, Boy Meets World, Drew Carey Show, Two Guys...all weird shows that were terrific.

Attachments

• tgif drew.jpg
    tgif drew.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2
  • rockapells.jpg
    rockapells.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2
  • long daddy.jpg
    long daddy.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 2

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I miss going to concerts where people are engaged with the music and the band/artist instead of just holding their phone up recording the whole show. Same with athletic games. Just enjoy the moment for yourself and the people around you.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Pizza hut was seriously special. I respect the hell out of Godfather's because they didn't get caught up in the cheap pizza gold rush in the mid 2000's and stayed true to their quality. GF's is just as good now as when I was a kid.
We were never really a godfather’s family.

That being said, I think a lot of it is being a kid and loving pizza, and nostalgia.

Because while I still like dominos, in my head it tasted so much better in college when I would have it late at night with friends. But I didn’t go to college that long ago and I was sober when I had it, so it wasn’t like they changed recipes/it was the alcohol talking

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Born in '80.

There are 3 things I really miss.
1. Sit down Pizza hut. There was nothing better than a deep dish supreme fresh out of the oven.
2. Arcade machines. What I wouldn't give to find someplace that still has Ivan "Ironman" Stuart off-road.
3. Chili Cheese burritos from Taco Bell. They're still around but I don't think every store has them.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Napster downloads came along almost immediately after Netscape Navigator made it possible, Red Dog and other ice beers, CDs still came in the long boxes, everyone on campus was wearing a leather bomber jacket and wanted the long sleeve ISU knit polo shirts that the guys who gave the campus tours were wearing.

But most of all, the 90's were tied to the emergency of grunge and alternative music, and the resurgence of country music radio.