Nostalgia for the 90's and 00's

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It is kind of silly, but I do miss malls. It was kind of nice just to wander around and see all sorts of things for sale. A lot of them had wild color schemes and other crazy ****. I also miss going out to rent a movie. You would run into friends there and see what they were watching. Grab some pizza and other snacks and you had a good night. No other distractions than the people you were with.
If I am at a mall now, I sometimes walk into a Hot Topic now just to try to get a taste of 16 year old me again.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I generally respect your opinion but your opinion about Zima is just wrong. Zima should probably have been served in juice boxes.

Zima was the utility player every ball club needed! Maybe not a starter, but it'll get the win in the bottom of the 9th or go a full five on a short day's rest.

Over ice or in the bottle. With a classy broad. With a trashy broad. After mowing. Before mowing. You put that goddam Zima in the game, baby!

I have just one Zima left from a few years ago. ******* liquid gold.

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
I was an Alpine guy but this was so ******* rad. Pumping into some swapped out Alpine speakers.

x130DEHP640-f.jpeg
Don't forget about the subwoofer in the trunk because there was nothing cooler than rolling into the school parking lot with bone thugs n harmony cranked to 11 so everyone could feel it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
'80s montages.

Get inspired to do things like:

--study and build a laser.

-fight monsters.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
View attachment 127746

Those walks through the skywalk to and from every February. I was like a kid making his first trip to the zoo.

Never been to Wells and I know The Barn was old and clunky but there was absolutely a certain feel to it for those that made it there whether wrestling or basketball.

Wells doesn't look like it has that at all.

Reactions: BigCyFan

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Never been to Wells and I know The Barn was old and clunky but there was absolutely a certain feel to it for those that made it there whether wrestling or basketball.

Wells doesn't look like it has that at all.
It was outdated as all get out and parts of were beyond awkward but man was it special. It was like a damn time capsule. I loved that place. For any event.

Reactions: madguy30

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
This is probably more 80s/early 90s. I remember playing computer games in the school computer lab. Oregon Trail, Carmen San Diego, I also remember a Pong like game on the Apple computers? Plus, I remember playing a game at the public library. You needed your own floppy disk. We didn’t own a computer at home. Wolfenstein. You killed nazis. I don’t know how I got a copy of it but I’d “check” one of the maybe 3 computers at my small town library and play that game.
We had Wolfenstein on the home computer until Mom found out about it. What a great time. Also used to play Amazon Trail at the school library where I feel like the sole purpose of the game was to snap photos of different animals and plants.

Reactions: psychlone99

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
great thread here today. Was at ISU from 92-96, so right in my wheelhouse.

Miss:
1. Zima was pretty good. Chicks loved it.
2. Grunge and alternative rock music. Never will forget when Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains ruled the world.
3. Good hip hop. KUSR in Friley on a weekday afternoon was full of great jams of the time. Miss Friley in general but KUSR had it on lock down with killer tunes all afternoon long.
4. Cheap gas
5. Not having social media influence everything. People need to form their own opinions more, both good and bad.
6. ISU football was easy to get to a game at Cyclone/Jack Trice.

Dont Miss:
1. The library. ISU library was no different than any but it was a pain in the ass to get proper information/research.
2. Clothing from the time. **** was awful.
3. Terrible ISU branding at the time. Blue somehow made it into the logos and the branding was godawful.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
For whatever reason I went down a YT rabbit hole of watching a bunch of old high school football games over the last few months of early-mid 90s teams from the eastern Iowa areas.

They weren't games I was in or anything; there's some alum of a few schools that have put up a bunch of games from that era, and in a few of them are people I knew or remember being big 'stars' at the time even in small school/rural Iowa.

It was small apples on levels of talent etc. obviously but it looked like some of the bigger matchups had really crowds circling the whole field from both communities/schools.

I've attended a few in my home area in recent years and that seems to have really dissolved.

Looking back at it, that was really cool.

Reactions: WartburgClone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

2. Clothing from the time. **** was awful.

3. Terrible ISU branding at the time. Blue somehow made it into the logos and the branding was godawful.
You shut your damn. I am buying these right now and gonna wear them proudly.

4_1_a5e4475e-78cd-43e2-a853-00e1dd0f6fc1_800x.jpg

• Haha
  • Funny
Reactions: SaraV and 0u812

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Pizza Hut is a big one for me. That was THE place to talk mom and dad into on a weekend night. When I was about 10 a buddy and I would con our moms into buying us The Big New Yorker to split and thought it was the best food on the planet. I spent most of my adult life wishing they would bring it back, when they finally did it was just terrible. I don't know if it was a different recipe or if my preferences have changed that much, but that was super disappointing.