Nostalgia for the 90's and 00's

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
This is probably more 80s/early 90s. I remember playing computer games in the school computer lab. Oregon Trail, Carmen San Diego, I also remember a Pong like game on the Apple computers? Plus, I remember playing a game at the public library. You needed your own floppy disk. We didn’t own a computer at home. Wolfenstein. You killed nazis. I don’t know how I got a copy of it but I’d “check” one of the maybe 3 computers at my small town library and play that game.
OG on the Apple 2e, I can still hear the "click-click, click-click" of the guards marching.

"AIEEEEE!" when you shot one

Reactions: Die4Cy

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
My wife and I talk about this one a lot, but stopping by someone's house just to see if they were home and/or people stopping by your place for the same reason. Almost unheard of any more with everyone having a cell phone.

Red Alert and Sim City 2000 hit hard too. A lot of hours invested into those 2 and the old NCAA Football games. In Sim City I used to get my city all set up and then leave the Playstation on for days collecting money to build more stuff. About half the time you went to check on it and something terrible happened and you had to reload and try again.

Of course, when we weren't playing those games we were playing outside and our parents had no idea where we were.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Up until 9/11 (junior year of high school for me) I also believed things were improving in the world. I don’t see how kids right now can think anything but the world is getting much worse. I feel sad for them not getting to be ignorant to the world’s problems like I was.
eh, I spent my childhood and tween years in a world that was resigned to the 100% certainty that the world would be destroyed in a nuclear war in less than 10 years. Seriously, when I was 7 or 8, I didn't expect to live more than a few years.

You want to know why the 90s were great? Because 4 Billion people no longer expected to be vaporized and/or suffer and die horrible deaths in a post-apocalyptic nightmare. That will put a little spring in your step.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
eh, I spent my childhood and tween years in a world that was resigned to the 100% certainty that the world would be destroyed in a nuclear war in less than 10 years. Seriously, when I was 7 or 8, I didn't expect to live more than a few years.

You want to know why the 90s were great? Because 4 Billion people no longer expected to be vaporized and/or suffer and die horrible deaths in a post-apocalyptic nightmare. That will put a little spring in your step.

I was born in 1991, so I have no recollection of the Cold War, but things generally seemed peaceful (at least through the lens of a little kid).

Seemed like 9/11 was the wake up call/reminder that it's not easy to maintain peace.

Even with the Cold War over there was still trouble to be found around the world - Bosnia, Rwanda, Chechnya, etc. Not to mention the start of al-Qaeda attacks against us.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Pizza Hut is a big one for me. That was THE place to talk mom and dad into on a weekend night. When I was about 10 a buddy and I would con our moms into buying us The Big New Yorker to split and thought it was the best food on the planet. I spent most of my adult life wishing they would bring it back, when they finally did it was just terrible. I don't know if it was a different recipe or if my preferences have changed that much, but that was super disappointing.

Every Pizza Hut may have only had 2-3 arcade game but whomever was making the choice in games did a fantastic job.

My local one had the Castlevania NES conversion (back before every kid had an NES) and the standup steering wheel Outrun racing game.

You'd sit down and order, get up and play 2-3 games, then come back and pizza is ready. (and it WAS great pizza pre-2000s)

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Zima was the utility player every ball club needed! Maybe not a starter, but it'll get the win in the bottom of the 9th or go a full five on a short day's rest.

Over ice or in the bottle. With a classy broad. With a trashy broad. After mowing. Before mowing. You put that goddam Zima in the game, baby!

I have just one Zima left from a few years ago. ******* liquid gold.
Very eloquently stated but I'm going to slightly dispute your point. Zima was like the long reliever. You're down early and don't have anywhere else to turn so you bring in Zima to give you a few innings. Hopefully, the team rallies and you can bring in a stud later in the game (Somebody shows up with real beer. Not that Bud Light is real beer but you get my drift).

Having one bottle of Zima around is a cool thing. Terrific conversation piece.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I wasted a whole lot of time on Sim City 2000.

Oh man. We would play Sim City in the computer lab and you didn't dare leave your city running if you weren't at your computer because one of your buddies would slide in and start a couple riots and fires on ya.

• Funny
Reactions: cyclones500

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
31251533970d475cb8571c442b8c95b3.jpg

Max out the Oxen, bare bones rations, and a grueling pace was the secret recipe.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It only comes together when you go big and install your own Pioneer 6×9s including cutting out the top of your trunk/back shelf for that bass.

Rural Iowa was teeming with subwoofers in everyone's Sable or similar car. I never took that step.
95% of the subwoofers in vehicles in rural Iowa were high school shop projects.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
My wife and I talk about this one a lot, but stopping by someone's house just to see if they were home and/or people stopping by your place for the same reason. Almost unheard of any more with everyone having a cell phone.

Red Alert and Sim City 2000 hit hard too. A lot of hours invested into those 2 and the old NCAA Football games. In Sim City I used to get my city all set up and then leave the Playstation on for days collecting money to build more stuff. About half the time you went to check on it and something terrible happened and you had to reload and try again.

Of course, when we weren't playing those games we were playing outside and our parents had no idea where we were.
I played lots of Red Alert growing up. Mammoth Tanks, Tesla Coils, etc.

Reactions: nhclone

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
I played lots of Red Alert growing up. Mammoth Tanks, Tesla Coils, etc.
I remember describing in great detail to my Aunt how I had perfected the Tesla Coil layout for ultimate base defense. She was remarkably polite, especially considering we were on a family tour of Gettysburg.

Reactions: ScottyP

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
Mrs. Althetuna almost wasn't Mrs Althetuna because of Sega hockey.
Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene Mrs. Althetuna, but Hartford, "the Whale,"? They only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.