Nostalgia for the 90's and 00's

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene Mrs. Althetuna, but Hartford, "the Whale,"? They only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.
And The Whale is no more, sadly :(

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
We had Wolfenstein on the home computer until Mom found out about it. What a great time. Also used to play Amazon Trail at the school library where I feel like the sole purpose of the game was to snap photos of different animals and plants.
I forgot about Wolfenstein 3D. That game rocked. My sister played Kings Quest on the PC, I think it was from the same company as the Leisure Suit Larry game (it was a real thing) because I remember it being promoted on her CD and thinking those were a strange juxtaposition of games.

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Pizza Hut is a big one for me. That was THE place to talk mom and dad into on a weekend night. When I was about 10 a buddy and I would con our moms into buying us The Big New Yorker to split and thought it was the best food on the planet. I spent most of my adult life wishing they would bring it back, when they finally did it was just terrible. I don't know if it was a different recipe or if my preferences have changed that much, but that was super disappointing.
In my opinion it is 100% the recipe. They went with cheaper ingredients a long time ago and it's been awful since.

Reactions: mwitt and nhclone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Up until 9/11 (junior year of high school for me) I also believed things were improving in the world. I don’t see how kids right now can think anything but the world is getting much worse. I feel sad for them not getting to be ignorant to the world’s problems like I was.

I assure you kids are basically totally ignorant for the most part to the worlds problems just like they always are.

IMO the world is getting way better. People just choose to focus on the bad stuff, which their always is.

Reactions: Bader

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Compared to my kids today, who can't wait to leave games early, have dozens of games at their disposal over Game Pass, and will never know the pleasure of browsing the movie selection at Blockbuster.

Take your kids to the library. I've done it with all of my kids. Movies shelved as far as the eye can see.

• Wow
Reactions: AirWalke and Bader

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene Mrs. Althetuna, but Hartford, "the Whale,"? They only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.
Random story... we saw this movie (Mall Rats) being filmed at Eden Prairie. Went to the mall earlier that day and saw a lot of the stage for the game show. Went back that night because Mervyn's California department store was having some special Midnight sale. (also a nostalgia hit as I got a number of amazing cartoon print NFL sweatshirts that night)

Anyway, we walk into the Mall and the security guard let my brother, dad, and I walk out to the corner of the aisle on the second floor. We watched them film the scene where Michael Rooker stomps out the floor. Not long after my mother was apparently trying to find us and was incredibly pissed because they were no longer letting people walk out into the mall.

Didn't know anything about the movie for prob. 5 more years when my Brother happened to see it at a House Party and it all came back.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...2ahUKEwjX6abj_M6FAxUEJEQIHbu4C3UQ9OUBegQIAhAZ

• Winner
Reactions: Cyhig and HOTDON

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
Random story... we saw this movie (Mall Rats) being filmed at Eden Prairie. Went to the mall earlier that day and saw a lot of the stage for the game show. Went back that night because Mervyn's California department store was having some special Midnight sale. (also a nostalgia hit as I got a number of amazing cartoon print NFL sweatshirts that night)

Anyway, we walk into the Mall and the security guard let my brother, dad, and I walk out to the corner of the aisle on the second floor. We watched them film the scene where Michael Rooker stomps out the floor. Not long after my mother was apparently trying to find us and was incredibly pissed because they were no longer letting people walk out into the mall.

Didn't know anything about the movie for prob. 5 more years when my Brother happened to see it at a House Party and it all came back.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...2ahUKEwjX6abj_M6FAxUEJEQIHbu4C3UQ9OUBegQIAhAZ
That’s a great story! Mallrats and Clerks are two of my favorites. I don’t watch many movies more than once but I rewatch a small handful, including those two every couple of years. They aren’t masterpieces by any means but the nostalgia is great for me. Tommy Boy, Dazed and Confused, and Singles are also on that list. Very few aren’t from the early to mid 90s actually.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I had completely forgot about her. She was like a local Kelly Kapowski.
Kelly Kapowski (Tiffani Thiessen) is on a Netflix show in the last several years where she is the mom of one of the main characters.

The show is called Alexa and Katie...

on Netflix....

dads.....

just in case you were wondering....

• Eggplant
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
I was born in 93 and sometimes wish I was born about 10yrs earlier so I could fully experience this time. I’d take being born in 93 over ‘03 any day but just a little jealous of folks born in the few decades before me. Things just seem like they were simpler, and as some others have mentioned, there seemed to be a lot more hope for the future

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Preface - This is from when I lived in Ogden (I think roughly age 8-18) so 1990-2000ish. I met and started dating my wife in 1998 (age 16), got married in 2004, and have been together ever since.
  • Pizza Hut in Boone - good environment and back then the pizza was consistently cooked (all the way, actually raised bread, etc).
  • Golden Corral in Boone - had a big variety and food was decent.
  • Starter Jackets - Had Eagles, Packers, and of course Iowa State.
  • Eastbay Magazine - I read it religiously even though I never played a single sport more than a year.
  • Scotcheroos at the Ogden grocery store - legit best I've ever had.
  • Ames Mall - spent tons of time there, the video/pc game store was good, went through a Buckle stage, went to probably a hundred movies between the two theatres.
  • Riding bike and then moped thousands of miles every summer.
  • Swimming pool at High School in Ogden.
  • Once I had a car at 15, driving 120mph on the backgroads between my girlfriend's house in Boone and our's in Ogden because I was late getting home late at night.
  • The OG "Modern Marvels" on History Channel (How It's Made is still on after 24 years and still great).
  • TLC actually being about science instead of the crap reality and romance shows it's been for the past 15 years.
  • ZDTV/TechTV with Leo Laporte and others.
  • Movies 12 in Ames - my wife (then girlfriend) and I went to probably 3 movies a week every week from 1998 to 2004.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigCyFan and HOTDON

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
You shut your damn. I am buying these right now and gonna wear them proudly.

4_1_a5e4475e-78cd-43e2-a853-00e1dd0f6fc1_800x.jpg
Do you wear that in the pool or is it actually a cup that holds my wild cherry pepsi?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
All the buffet talk made me remember this. My grandpa would take us down to Winterset about once a month to the Gold Buffet. Bowling lanes, pool tables, arcade games. That place was awesome.

1713557003483.jpeg

Reactions: madguy30

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Haha that might be a low number.

I could hear my friends coming to pick Mr up from about a mile away.

Could you hear the bass, or was it just the rattle from the trunk of the old Ford LTD?