Not sold on up coming season(especially)oline again

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Noop. We don't win it this year its because of the same problem. Really what the **** is so non evident?
There was a ton of underclassmen playing in the two deep last year. Players do develop quite a bit from their first couple of years to their last couple years.

Reactions: Aclone

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I find it's always best to go into a season just hoping for the best, most competitive team we can be. I think 6 wins really should be the absolutely floor at this point, but the new league is still going to have a ton of parity with each team having up and down years. I'm probably content with 7 wins some years with 8 or 9 wins being a great goal. Anything beyond that would be a new level for us so can't really be considered an expectation.

But as I say in every post - you have to consider the schedule, players, opponent rosters, etc when looking at the coming season. I don't do hype or gloom - use data to drive your opinions/goals.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
We’re gonna win 8-9 games. We’re going to lose to Iowa because we always lose to Iowa. We’re going to lose to Utah because it’s there and they’re good. We’re gonna lose to a bad team (Houston?) because we always lose to a bad team. We may have another loss.

We’ll also beat the **** out of a bunch of teams we’re similar to, we’ll win a road game we’re dogs in (WV? KU?). We’ll have a 3-4 game midseason winning streak that puts us in conference title talk.

We’ll get demolished in our bowl game in some G5 school’s home stadium.

The season as a whole will be fun and wildly exceed our historical norm.
@ Houston reminds me of those years we started conference play @ Baylor and always laid an egg. Although Houston should be considerably worse than those Baylor teams

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I agree. We are not Georgia or Alabama, so we aren't going to just dominate the competition each and every week. But I think our program is equal to or better than TCU. There is no team on our schedule that we should fear anymore. We will need some breaks to have a great season, just like TCU did, but I think we have a good enough team that we at least have a shot. As a life long fan of Iowa State it is easy to look at the schedule and automatically assume we will stub our toe. I actually think the schedule sets up pretty well. The key will be to win the games were are supposed to and continue to get better as the season progresses and be ready for Utah and K State to finish the year.

We have just as good of a program as TCU?? What world do you live in?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
@ Houston reminds me of those years we started conference play @ Baylor and always laid an egg. Although Houston should be considerably worse than those Baylor teams

New coach @ Houston is good, they might not have a handle on what they are doing yet. But also, they may be doing things totally differently and not a lot of film.

ISU hasn't done well with "surprises" in the CMC era. e.g. Memphis last year, Tech the year they fired Wells and put in the new QB. There's not a lot of those, but there have been a few.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
This is how every team in the new Big 12 finished last year. We have everyone coming back from last year. Why not be optimistic entering this season. I know it is hard for us Cyclone fans, but we should be optimistic.

View attachment 128884
I haven't looked at schedule balance, but I would expect ISU to be in the top 4 or 5. Utah should be good if Rising stays vertical, and they have a pretty favorable schedule.

There's just not a lot of separation between the top 7ish teams (UU, WV, ISU, KSU, KU, OSU, TT). I suspect AZ will struggle though, and their schedule is rough.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
There was a ton of underclassmen playing in the two deep last year. Players do develop quite a bit from their first couple of years to their last couple years.

Do other teams underclassmen develop? I’ve always been confused about this hype line.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We need to start the season 3 and 0 in the out of conference part of the season, there is not a team on the schedule that is better than ISU talent wise, we just need to come out and be aggressive on both sides of the ball. ISU struggles when we lay back and do not attack the opponent. Stop trying to out EIU and by playing their type of game. Open it up and stop turning the ball over and we will be fine. I think for the first time in a decade, the offensive line will at least be solid, maybe not great, but not a weakness as they have been in the past.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I mean, I understand that CMC struggles with UI, but the predicted starter only has one leg...

• Wow
Reactions: aauummm

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I mean, they SHOULD be better. Return all 5 starters, add 2 the should contend to start from the portal, get Hasert back from injury plus RSFR available to play. Not to mention 2nd year of the new OL coach and 2nd year of the new S&C staff. If they aren't at least above average this year, I don't know if it's possible here.

I still contend that scheme plays a bigger part than OL talent or technique. When you play with a fullback, it's pretty easy to see where the ball is going and when you're going to run it. I love Stevo Klotz and the guys who played the position before him. But, it isn't a surprise (to me) that our best OL play of the Campbell era was when Soehner was playing F. He was a legit threat in the passing game, could seal the edge AND lead block. Even though we had no deep threats, the offense wasn't predictable because Soehner was versatile enough to catch a pass or attach to the line and seal the DE. Seems like now, if Klotz is in, you know we are running and all you have to do is fly to wherever he is and you're likely going to get a TFL. Pretty tough for an OL to succeed when the defense knows exactly what you are going to do.
So it is impossible to pull a guard and run misdirection with the FB? I've never professed to be a football expert, but I have a hard time believing that it is fait accompli that your hand is tipped when you put a FB in the game.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Lots of hype. We have pieces. Conference isn't as top heavy as last year. Same ol adage if we had a decent to good oline
Wow, great post, I have to really think hard about this.