Notre Dame's Muffet McGraw retires

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Bit of a surpise. Didn't realize she had been there 33 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, good for her. Only 64 and kinda going out on top to some extent. Most of the Hall of Fame level coaches keep on keeping on. And no drama as they have their new coach already. And no surprise there that it's Niele Ivey.

Wasn't a fan of what I thought were hypocritical comments on transfers when she got special treatment for Sheppard a couple of years ago but am 100% with her on promoting and advocating for women coaches. I've mellowed on Sheppard to after she committed herself to getting in real basketball shape and turned into a great sleeper of a pick for the Lynx here in Minnesota.

Reactions: ISC

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Kind of a stunner - and I think they're taking a big risk with Ivey. ND could have probably gotten a proven head coach. Time will tell.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Will not miss Muffet the Mouth. Good coach, but there are a lot of them in WBB, men and women.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
It's just a hunch I guess, but I think Ivey will do well at ND. She was so well liked there it was pretty much inevitable that she was waiting in the wings. Sure didn't take them long to bring her on board. Give her a couple of good recruiting classes and I suspect good things will follow. I'll be keeping my eye on them a lot more now than I have in the past.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's just a hunch I guess, but I think Ivey will do well at ND. She was so well liked there it was pretty much inevitable that she was waiting in the wings. Sure didn't take them long to bring her on board. Give her a couple of good recruiting classes and I suspect good things will follow. I'll be keeping my eye on them a lot more now than I have in the past.

Wasn't she their lead recruiter in addition to being associate head coach? She was mentioned a lot on the Gophers board up here when all of the big guns were after Paige Bueckers. Gophers fans thought it was a big deal when Ivey left. Pretty sure Geno was his own lead on winning that one.

Hire makes sense to me, schools yuge on tradition and has a highly qualified alumna who has played and been a top assistant there. She's might be there for the next 20 years. And sometimes point guards make good coaches. ;)

Last edited:

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-1000-wins-will-anyone-reach-that-mark-again/

Raises an interesting question, IMO. I didn't go into great detail in my research, admittedly rough numbers here, but took a look at those with Iowa connections.

Fennelly has 689 wins at age 62. Hasn't always gotten there, but 20 wins per season would mean coaching another 15 seasons. Gary Blair is still coaching at 72, so... Lol.

Bluder has 752 wins at age 59. Iowa's, of course, had a good record these last few seasons but at 20 wins per season, she would need about 12 more. If she continues the streak of late, maybe more like 10.

Baranczyk has 174 wins at age 38. Not sure how long she'll stay at Drake but getting almost 25 wins per season the last six seasons. Has a long way to go in her young career but could potentially reach quite a high tally of wins as well.

I'd say Brenda Frese has a pretty good chance to get up there in the win count. She has 543 wins at age 50. Maryland gets between 25 and 30 wins per season. Several 30-win seasons and she might get there by age 65.

Bluder ▪︎ age 59 ▪︎ 752 wins
Fennelly ▪︎ age 62 ▪︎ 689 wins
Frese ▪︎ age 50 ▪︎ 543 wins