NU stadium renovation

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
NU stadium renovation might take longer than expected, as the athletic budget is $60 million in debt.(according to local news). Even mention of reducing sports.

• Wow
Reactions: nrg4isu

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
NU stadium renovation might take longer than expected, as the athletic budget is $60 million in debt.(according to local news). Even mention of reducing sports.

Does ole Tommy O still have a say in what happens in the AD?

• Haha
Reactions: Lineup

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Would think the boosters are tired of ponying up money to keep the sell-out streak alive. Cutting seating capacity will save them money (heard a reduction of 9000).

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Just increase ticket prices by a huge number. Easy fix.

With 78 years of consecutive sellouts they should be able to increase prices 30-40% and still totally pack the stands with real human life forms. Basic economics.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Friends have had season tickets in Row 93 way up in SW corner for many years with no donation. That comes to an end now. And obviously a lot of people are just relieved of their season tickets by this renovation. Our friends' seats are about 3 rows from the top. I have sat there. Might as well be on the Space Station.

Reactions: aauummm

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

The university system has a $58 million deficit, the athletic department I can’t find anything regarding debt or cutting sports.
Read the article a winning FB team will help the fan experience at memorial stadium, more than the $450 million will. I also believe Trev is over paid and he padding his friends pockets at the fund raising organization.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
True Story: My one and only game @ Nebraska was in 1994 vs. Oklahoma State. This is in the pre-stub hub days, and Nebraska tickets were not easy to get under any circumstances. Top dollar outside the stadium too. So, for whatever reason, I called Oklahoma State on a lark to see if they had any available away tickets for the game (I needed 3). They surprisingly said they had some left, but I had to join the Alumni Association to buy them. So, I paid $35 and landed three fantastic lower level seats on about the 20 yard-line or so. Face Value + $35.00. Not bad! Of course, I got a bright orange sticker and the Alumni Magazine for a year too - which was kid of funny. Huskers won by the odd score of 32-3, as they had a bobbled extra point that they turned into a two-point conversion. One or my all-time favorite CFB days on a glorious day in Lincoln!

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Yesterday, Rhule had a press conference. Said it takes millions to get a good QB out of the Portal now. He basically indicated that Huskers are not going to play that game. Almost wonder if the money going to the stadium impacts their NIL opportunities. They are using private funds for the stadium, at least in part. So, Chubba Purdy may be their starter next 2 years.

It makes me think there are about 10 schools that will play in the stratosphere for NIL players. The rest of us, including Nebraska, are closer to still doing things the old way: recruit, develop, grab a JC player or two, grab a development player or two from the Portal. That's our new reality. And I think the Nebraskas and the Iowa States can win 7 to 9 games doing that, with good coaching.

Speaking of Huskers, Blaise Gunnerson has quit football due to injuries. Really unfortunate. Makes you wonder what if.... One of their starting linebackers Henrich also "retiring" due to injuries. That team had so many injuries this year, just bad luck, or what?

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
True Story: My one and only game @ Nebraska was in 1994 vs. Oklahoma State. This is in the pre-stub hub days, and Nebraska tickets were not easy to get under any circumstances. Top dollar outside the stadium too. So, for whatever reason, I called Oklahoma State on a lark to see if they had any available away tickets for the game (I needed 3). They surprisingly said they had some left, but I had to join the Alumni Association to buy them. So, I paid $35 and landed three fantastic lower level seats on about the 20 yard-line or so. Face Value + $35.00. Not bad! Of course, I got a bright orange sticker and the Alumni Magazine for a year too - which was kid of funny. Huskers won by the odd score of 32-3, as they had a bobbled extra point that they turned into a two-point conversion. One or my all-time favorite CFB days on a glorious day in Lincoln!
late 90s early 00s.... tickets were given out freely in western iowa

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
how can anyone in the Big 10 have athletic department money issues? They going to get 90 plus mil a year from the tv contract alone.

• Winner
Reactions: StateThrowdown

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Speaking of Huskers, Blaise Gunnerson has quit football due to injuries. Really unfortunate. Makes you wonder what if.... One of their starting linebackers Henrich also "retiring" due to injuries. That team had so many injuries this year, just bad luck, or what?

Makes you wonder if it's the old ISU thing where guys are thrust in to roles they aren't physically ready for and they just get beat up and abused.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
how can anyone in the Big 10 have athletic department money issues? They going to get 90 plus mil a year from the tv contract alone.
I can’t find that they do, the overall university has a shortfall.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Yesterday, Rhule had a press conference. Said it takes millions to get a good QB out of the Portal now. He basically indicated that Huskers are not going to play that game. Almost wonder if the money going to the stadium impacts their NIL opportunities. They are using private funds for the stadium, at least in part. So, Chubba Purdy may be their starter next 2 years.

It makes me think there are about 10 schools that will play in the stratosphere for NIL players. The rest of us, including Nebraska, are closer to still doing things the old way: recruit, develop, grab a JC player or two, grab a development player or two from the Portal. That's our new reality. And I think the Nebraskas and the Iowa States can win 7 to 9 games doing that, with good coaching.

Henrich tore his acl twice, can’t imagine looking forward to those rehabs and such.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
In NU's case, that's what happens when you're still paying out *former* coaches contracts...