O-Line 9 and 10

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
Downing, Newell, Remsburg, Simmons, Schweiger, Foster, Ramos, Treiber. Who would be number 9 and 10 for our O-Line? We have an awesome top 8 right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: ForbinsAscynt

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hufford likely would be one. You also forgot about Remsburg.... he's likely a starter IMO.

I think Pauls might be up there somewhere too..... and Hudson too if healthy.

The one I'm curious to know if anyone has any info on is Anthony Smith. I thought he might have a big upside when he came in.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Downing, Newell, Remsburg, Simmons, Schweiger, Foster, Ramos, Treiber. Who would be number 9 and 10 for our O-Line? We have an awesome top 8 right now.
Remsburg was playing excellent football at RT last season. I think he keeps his spot. Interesting will be the guard positions. Downing is great but he needs to stay off the IR.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'd go with Hufford inside and Miller as the 4th tackle for now, but those spots will get worked out soon enough.

Scratch that, we already have 4 OTs in the top 8. I'd say 9 and 10 will be behind Simmons even though they appear on the 2 deep.

Last edited:

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
What happened to big Rob? Thought he was gonna be a multi year starter

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that Simmons is probably the odd man out and ends up being a utility inside guy that can play guard or Center. Chances are, he starts some games. Here's my guess:

LT: Foster, Treibur
LG: Downing, Hufford
C: Newell, Simmons
RG: Schweiger, Simmons
RT: Remsburg, Ramos

That's not even including Hudson, who I think will be in on goal line as a run blocker. I also have high expectations for Pauls and Tyler Miller. This is depth and talent that we could have only dreamed about even 3-4 years ago.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The coaches said in the spring that Hufford was pushing for a starting spot.

There’s also some noise that someone could nudge Foster out of some reps. People have been high on Treiber for a while, and the coaches also said Tyler Miller had a good spring.

At RT, my impression is that Remsburg is a monster run blocker, but Ramos is better at pass protection.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but it kinda seems like Jake is kinda like KO—Ben Bruns always said he’d be better inside, and that proved out in the NFL.

There’s going to be some serious competition on the depth chart this year. And that doesn’t include Hayden Pauls, Anthony Simmons and Brady Petersen—or Zach Ross, who may be fully healthy and ready to go.

Dang. It wasn’t that long ago I’d be looking at the incoming recruits, and trying to figure out what TE or DL might switch to help out the OL. Er, was it?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The coaches said in the spring that Hufford was pushing for a starting spot.

There’s also some noise that someone could nudge Foster out of some reps. People have been high on Treiber for a while, and the coaches also said Tyler Miller had a good spring.

At RT, my impression is that Remsburg is a monster run blocker, but Ramos is better at pass protection.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but it kinda seems like Jake is kinda like KO—Ben Bruns always said he’d be better inside, and that proved out in the NFL.

There’s going to be some serious competition on the depth chart this year. And that doesn’t include Hayden Pauls, Anthony Simmons and Brady Petersen—or Zach Ross, who may be fully healthy and ready to go.

Dang. It wasn’t that long ago I’d be looking at the incoming recruits, and trying to figure out what TE or DL might switch to help out the OL. Er, was it?

Personally, I'm not impressed with Ramos's pass protection. He got benched in the bowl game because he couldn't stay in front of guys. IMO Remsburg is an all around better player. Not that Ramos can't make up ground...I thought that Foster was a lost cause as an underclassman and he had a really good year last season.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Personally, I'm not impressed with Ramos's pass protection. He got benched in the bowl game because he couldn't stay in front of guys. IMO Remsburg is an all around better player. Not that Ramos can't make up ground...I thought that Foster was a lost cause as an underclassman and he had a really good year last season.
A little harsh. The guy was just getting back from an injury.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone and bozclone

HTOWN Cyclone

May 27, 2018
Head scratcher they didnt put Simmons in when Downing got hurt In the first game
Csnt remember the OL name now, but had never heard of him and he got lit up constantly

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Head scratcher they didnt put Simmons in when Downing got hurt In the first game
Csnt remember the OL name now, but had never heard of him and he got lit up constantly

Jurguenson.... Jorguensen??? Something like that I believe? No idea how to spell it.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Jurguenson.... Jorguensen??? Something like that I believe? No idea how to spell it.
Noah Juergensen.

He was a fifth year senior walk on, and it’s only a “head scratcher” when you try to use 20-20 hindsight. When Downing went down so suddenly, Rob Hudson was hurt and they didn’t want to toss an unprepared redshirt freshman to the wolves.

CMC has a tendency not to do that, “Better to start someone too late than too soon”. Some might consider that a flaw, I suppose.

Especially after half the team had missed a big chunk of time due to COVID protocols.

Two more weeks until the TCU game gave them time to get Darrell up to speed, working with the starters. OL communication is important. Yep, I have no complaints.

• Agree
Reactions: dualthreat

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Noah Juergensen.

He was a fifth year senior walk on, and it’s only a “head scratcher” when you try to use 20-20 hindsight. When Downing went down so suddenly, Rob Hudson was hurt and they didn’t want to toss an unprepared redshirt freshman to the wolves.

CMC has a tendency not to do that, “Better to start someone too late than too soon”. Some might consider that a flaw, I suppose.

Especially after half the team had missed a big chunk of time due to COVID protocols.

Two more weeks until the TCU game gave them time to get Darrell up to speed, working with the starters. OL communication is important. Yep, I have no complaints.

Yep, that was him.

I didn't blame CMC at the time for putting Noah in, and I still don't. He didn't have too many options... and I totally understand them worrying about throwing Simmons to the wolves before they thought he might be ready.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Don't remember the name( think It might be Jorgensen) but it was a walk on that's been in the system a few years. Seemed like the likely progression. Put the guy in first that had the most time in. Then go with the talent that can learn on the go.

Last edited: