Oak-Elm Residence Halls - Potentially Closing

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I may be one of the few guys that was ever allowed to live in Oak Elm. I was a Cyclone Aide back in the 80's. At that time they housed orientation students in Linden, but Linden was under renovation that summer, so they housed the orientation students in Oak Elm, thus all the Cyclone Aides, men and women, lived there too.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I may be one of the few guys that was ever allowed to live in Oak Elm. I was a Cyclone Aide back in the 80's. At that time they housed orientation students in Linden, but Linden was under renovation that summer, so they housed the orientation students in Oak Elm, thus all the Cyclone Aides, men and women, lived there too.

One of the hall directors that had something go wrong in his dorm room lived in Oak Elm my freshman year if I recall. Maybe half a semester.

My freshman gf lived there so I stayed over quite a bit when she didn't have a roommate for a long period of time.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
At 1500 possible openings..this goes beyond this residence itself. Other factors are cheaper options and the high cost of meal plans.

• Dislike
Reactions: FatNTired

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I hung out with the Barton women. I loved the bat **** crazy that flowed from there apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Farnsworth

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Sad deal. Seems like just a couple years ago the DOR was bursting at the seams and didn't have enough rooms to meet demand. Makes you wonder where they are missing the mark on being a competitive option for students to live on campus vs off campus. To me there was so much value in living that close to class and having people right down the hall to socialize with or get some help with a class you had together that you don't get living off campus.

I spent 5 semesters in old RCA 3 of them living in BWR and 2 as a RA in Linden so I find it sad to see that building close as I had a lot of interactions with people that lived there. One memory I have was freshman year a few of us got to know a girl in Oak Elm who was having issues with her roommate. Apparently her roommate was engaged to a guy going to Michigan but was constantly bringing back other guys to have sex with and didn't care if she was in the room or not. So whenever that happened she usually shot us an instant message (showing my age as cell phones were just starting to become more common by the time I graduated so no one was really texting yet) to meet her out on the Oak Elm steps to keep her company if any of us were around or at times up late at night too. She confronted her roommate about at least asking her before she brought a guy back because it was hard to get studies done when she would just randomly come back with a guy and start going at it on the couch. What was even more awkward was 1 weekend her roommate's fiancé came to visit and it was funny to see what would happen when some random guy stopped by and she had to make up some story about how she knew him. She requested a room transfer and got one for 2nd semester and apparently her roommate was mad at why she was moving out. She basically told her she was tired of her slutty ways and having no respect for her to have use of their room too so she was looking forward to her own room where she didn't have to leave in the middle of doing homework to get away from her.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Seems like just a couple years ago the DOR was bursting at the seams and didn't have enough rooms to meet demand. Makes you wonder where they are missing the mark

3 years ago, with 36,600+ students, dorms were full/overfull and they were leasing apartment buildings.

Now, with 3,000 fewer students, they are no longer leasing apartment buildings and are closing one building.

Seems pretty straightforward.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sad deal. Seems like just a couple years ago the DOR was bursting at the seams and didn't have enough rooms to meet demand. Makes you wonder where they are missing the mark on being a competitive option for students to live on campus vs off campus. To me there was so much value in living that close to class and having people right down the hall to socialize with or get some help with a class you had together that you don't get living off campus.

I spent 5 semesters in old RCA 3 of them living in BWR and 2 as a RA in Linden so I find it sad to see that building close as I had a lot of interactions with people that lived there. One memory I have was freshman year a few of us got to know a girl in Oak Elm who was having issues with her roommate. Apparently her roommate was engaged to a guy going to Michigan but was constantly bringing back other guys to have sex with and didn't care if she was in the room or not. So whenever that happened she usually shot us an instant message (showing my age as cell phones were just starting to become more common by the time I graduated so no one was really texting yet) to meet her out on the Oak Elm steps to keep her company if any of us were around or at times up late at night too. She confronted her roommate about at least asking her before she brought a guy back because it was hard to get studies done when she would just randomly come back with a guy and start going at it on the couch. What was even more awkward was 1 weekend her roommate's fiancé came to visit and it was funny to see what would happen when some random guy stopped by and she had to make up some story about how she knew him. She requested a room transfer and got one for 2nd semester and apparently her roommate was mad at why she was moving out. She basically told her she was tired of her slutty ways and having no respect for her to have use of their room too so she was looking forward to her own room where she didn't have to leave in the middle of doing homework to get away from her.

Any idea where that roommate ended up?
Just curious.........

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Not too surprising. Students have a choice between living in a tiny non air conditioned room for $100 more a month and paying for a meal plan, or living in an apartment with air conditioning, for cheaper living and food. I enjoyed my 2 years living in BWR, but I can see why it's not as popular of an option.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not too surprising. Students have a choice between living in a tiny non air conditioned room for $100 more a month and paying for a meal plan, or living in an apartment with air conditioning, for cheaper living and food. I enjoyed my 2 years living in BWR, but I can see why it's not as popular of an option.

When I moved out I had a roommate who liked the place at 75 during winter. Cut a lot of the savings out.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Is AC really that big of a deal breaker though? If you think about it you only have to worry about hot weather is basically the first and last months of the school year right? I lived in the dorms for all but my last semester at ISU and never lived in a building that had AC. As long as you got some good air flow with some fans it wasn't ever really something I remember being a huge drawback for me. During the day you usually are on campus in air conditioned buildings/rooms and there are plenty of places on campus you could go to study in the AC too. Wasn't like you lived in your room 24/7, it usually cools off at night that leaving windows open and some fans made it comfortable enough I thought.

I was lucky that in BWR I had a corner room that faced north and east so we usually just left both windows open with fans where 1 fan blew air in and 1 fan we faced out and also left or room door open when we were there and that usually cycled out the hot air pretty well. Also had clip on fans on our lofts that blew on you at night too.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We actually ran a girl through the dish machine at Oak-Elm. Back then it was white T-shirts and blue jeans. :D:D

One of the full-timer food service workers wanted to get off of work so bad, he pleaded for us to push full boxes of produce on him, in an attempt to say the fell on him, so he could get workman's comp.

We would raid the ice machines at food service whenever we had a floor party or room party. We had the suite in Roberts Hall by the mailroom. Filled our bathtub with ice and beer!!

I left school with like 8 full place settings of dishes and utensils.