Observations from the 1st 2 games.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Given the way 2016 finished for the team with progress across the board, I am content to optimistically watch the progress of this 2017 squad. I realize there probably won't experience the exponential development/improvement from week 1 to week 12 like we saw last year, but given this team beat the FCS squad and hung with a team that blew them out a calendar year ago, I will expect to watch some game to game improvement enough to turn some of last year's barely lose into barely win. I expect the Clones to win 4, possibly 5 conference games this season.

I'm beginning to trust the process.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
This is the same team as last year, yesterday's game was very similar to the Baylor and Oklahoma State, in that Iowa State just cannot close. For as much progress as claimed to have taken place, the more it's just like the last few years.

If you truly believe that last sentence, then you're not watching the same team I am.

• Agree
Reactions: ExCyment

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
If you truly believe that last sentence, then you're not watching the same team I am.
That's the beauty of having an opinion on something as objective as sports. Two people can watch the same game and see different outcomes. After being in the stands at Stillwater last year, until a lead against a superior opponent is secured, I won't be convinced otherwise.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Lets be real, that game was ours, period. The kick out of bounds was something that can't happen.(coaching). We over pursue and don't stay home on D. Offense is a pleasant surprise. Kicking and punt game is pretty good. Tackling is pathetic. We beat UNI, should beat Akron,Kansas and Baylor and maybe Texas.If we are going to compete with the rest of the Big XII we better get better in a hurry.

I found this really funny. Dang! Our coaches forgot to tell the kicker not to kick the ball out of bounds. I'm sure the call was for a left kick in an attempt to prevent a run back as we had done previously in the game. Only this time, by a razor thin margin the ball was kicked just a touch too far left. I guess its bad coaching when field goal kickers miss too.

Cardinal&Gold11

Nov 6, 2007
The land of Eastern Iowa University
Based on expectations

DL-better than we thought they would be this early.

OL-about what we thought.

WR-inconsistent

RB-let's be honest it's all Montgomery and he's a beast

LB-solid, which is good considering what we had last year.

DB-not as good as we thought but still good.

Kicker-no complaints

Punter-fantastic

PR-no complaints

KR-no complaints

Effort-excellent

Coaching-need to trust their team more.

QB-good, can be much better

I disagree with this right now. Not saying it is awful, but I don't think Warren should be back there. It's the same problem he has when he is the running back, but he is not a guy who can find a hole make something happen. He needs lanes to run in, and very rarely are there big lanes to run through on kick returns. We need someone with a little dazzle, that can make someone miss, or make a cutback to spring something.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I disagree with this right now. Not saying it is awful, but I don't think Warren should be back there. It's the same problem he has when he is the running back, but he is not a guy who can find a hole make something happen. He needs lanes to run in, and very rarely are there big lanes to run through on kick returns. We need someone with a little dazzle, that can make someone miss, or make a cutback to spring something.
I assume you mean KR. Yes Warren hasn't been electric but he hasn't hurt the team. Sounds like Campbell is going to give Lang a chance anyways.

Cardinal&Gold11

Nov 6, 2007
The land of Eastern Iowa University
I assume you mean KR. Yes Warren hasn't been electric but he hasn't hurt the team. Sounds like Campbell is going to give Lang a chance anyways.

I did mean KR, didn't quote for some reason. There was one time, for sure, in the Iowa game where he should've keeled and taken the 25, but ran out to the 16. That stuff hurts, plus I want someone back there who can break off s bog one. I just don't see it being Warren. Again, not saying he's been awful, but we have better choices than him.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I like Lima and Trent. They're getting good push off the LOS. Throw Tongamoa in there and it's a good start. I was happy to see him playing meaningful snaps yesterday.

The defensive ends have been underwhelming. Bailey has made some nice plays against the run, but we'll need more pressure out of them.

Spears is a nice surprise, but our LBs are still well below average. I'm OK with Lanning, but wouldn't mind seeing Sutton get a series here and there. Harvey is still inconsistent.

Echo the OP's thoughts on the secondary. Cotton-Moya is great against the run, but how did we let Iowa's guys get behind us 3-4 times? I also expect Peavy to handle a true freshman that looked like he weighed 160 pounds. Payne is not as good as I expected. Our tackling was Chizik-era bad yesterday.

I was surprised we didn't bring more blitzing on the outside. Iowa handled our blitzes easily, and we seemed to be coming right up the middle.

Our offense is legitimately good. Park will be one of the best QBs in the Big 12. Montgomery looks like he's going to be a monster. Butler has lived up to the hype, but he and Lazard have to hold on to the ball. Very frustrating. I'm still confused why we're not getting Jones involved. Get him a jet sweep or a screen. He's a playmaker. Offensive line has been pretty good. They could be a strength of the team by the end of the season as opposed to just holing their own.

All in all, it's impossible to not be encouraged compared to where we were at this point last season. If we can force some turnovers, we're going to win some games. Razor thin margin that separates 5 and 6 wins.

You can't bull rush the ends vs Iowa that plays right in to their hands.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Trust the Process.

If all teams' coaches read the same management, self-help books and everyone trusts the process....then what? Do all teams experience the same amount of success and failure? Absolute parity? Everyone is .500?
I can tell you Ferentz absolutely said the same thing in 1999-2002...."trust the process"....his "process" had him playing us post-2002 and Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, and some other cupcakes annually.
I want to buy in....but I also must recognize there are really good coaches....coaches that can use the final minute of a game to aggressively get in position for points and at least show their team they are fighting every second.....and then there are coaches that pull the crap we did at the end of both halves last weekend. Hell, McCarney was taking a knee every down if he had a 3 point lead in the third quarter. I don't get it. Anyway....John Mellencamp crooned it: "There are winners......"

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Just win. That is all. Don't care about all "feel good...we're improving" accplades anymore. I'm de-sensitized to it...
...just win.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
I've heard that too, but this team was losing close last year. ****, this program has been losing close for 5 years.

It's looking a little like the switch is stuck on "lose close".

You must not have been around when we lost to Baylor by 70 points.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
You can't bull rush the ends vs Iowa that plays right in to their hands.

Are you referring to my comments on the DEs or blitzing? Either way, we didn't put any pressure on them from the outside on obvious passing downs. Wyoming's DE owned Iowa's RT with aggressive pass rushes, and I could be wrong, but it seemed like most of the pressure they got on Stanley came from blitzing from the outside.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I rewatched the game and I thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in here rather than starting a new thread.

The main thing I took away was that the defense didn't actually look bad. They weren't overmatched in the way we've seen them be before. They controlled the line of scrimmage and didn't let anything go up the middle. Iowa ran for 160 yards on 41 carries, and I'll take that. The real struggle was defending the pass to the RB and TEs, something to watch going forward. But even with giving up the yards and points, I felt like the 'D' played well, especially in stretches.

Crazy crazy stat:
On Iowa's 5 touchdown scoring drives (not counting OT) they ran 49 plays (10,10,11,11 & 7). On the other 8 drives, they ran a total of 28 plays, including an astounding SEVEN!!! 3 and outs. SEVEN!

I don't know what that all means - except that there is some real talent on that team and they scheme against Iowa worked really well - except on the drives it didn't.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I wouldn't characterize as solid. Wadley's two big plays could have been minimized if LBs made a tackle, Harvey on the play that set up the td to cut it to 3, Lanning on the tying td. I'll give you LBs are better than last year, but still a weakness.

I think our linebackers were solid, but not great. I think Iowa's linebackers are solid to good, and their fans would be saying the same thing about Montgomery's runs, especially if we had won. Temper it with the perspective that we lost and want to blame. I think our LB's are better than recent past and will get better each week.