Off Base Comment about the Big 12

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I hear you, but how does going 1-15 against Nick Saban qualify the Volunteers as a power team on Alabama’s schedule recently?
Tennessee has been down, and it's been a mismatch under Saban for sure; however, it is a streaky series. Before Saban, Tennessee had won 10 of 12. Point is they are historical rivals going back before the SEC was founded in 1933. Tennessee has slipped to 3rd in SEC Championships (13) behind Georgia (14) and Alabama (29), but they built up a lot of reserve water in their hump before they went into their funk. FWIW, It's my favorite Alabama game every year, and I have been to three of them in person: 1979 @ Legion Field, 2009 @ Bryant-Denny Stadium and 2012 @ Neyland Stadium.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kinch

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
So what things will Texas stir the pot once the SEC gets old?
Scheduling. At some point, they will host Vanderbilt, Mississippi State and Auburn and play at Alabama, Florida and South Carolina. Fans will howl and complain.
Record. Fans will get tired of 7-6, 8-5, records and a playoff bid once every five years.
The Oklahoma game. It would be funny if the SEC said Texas would have to choose between playing LSU or Oklahoma on a particular year.
ESPN contract. What happens if 15 years down the line, after Nick Saban and Kirby Smart, the SEC ratings hit a rough patch and ESPN tired of losing money lowballs them in contract negotiations. How long would it be before Texas complains and asks for unequal revenue distributions?
What if Houston starts getting some of the 4 star athetes that had been going to Texas?
It’s fun to think of scenarios will get Texas’ goat In their new conference. I mean, they have a history.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
So what things will Texas stir the pot once the SEC gets old?
Scheduling. At some point, they will host Vanderbilt, Mississippi State and Auburn and play at Alabama, Florida and South Carolina. Fans will howl and complain.
Record. Fans will get tired of 7-6, 8-5, records and a playoff bid once every five years.
The Oklahoma game. It would be funny if the SEC said Texas would have to choose between playing LSU or Oklahoma on a particular year.
ESPN contract. What happens if 15 years down the line, after Nick Saban and Kirby Smart, the SEC ratings hit a rough patch and ESPN tired of losing money lowballs them in contract negotiations. How long would it be before Texas complains and asks for unequal revenue distributions?
What if Houston starts getting some of the 4 star athetes that had been going to Texas?
It’s fun to think of scenarios will get Texas’ goat In their new conference. I mean, they have a history.
They might whine about the SEC Championship Game @ Atlanta (which will never move), not that it will matter since they will fail to make it to the game.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
They might whine about the SEC Championship Game @ Atlanta (which will never move), not that it will matter since they will fail to make it to the game.
Why will it never move? Wouldn’t Alabama Florida and Texas like it elsewhere?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Why will it never move? Wouldn’t Alabama Florida and Texas like it elsewhere?
Atlanta is the hub of the SEC and really easy for fans of most teams to get there. LSU whines a bit about it, but Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee like it. It's a HARD sellout every year. Waiting list tickets. They are not going to mess with that. There are fans of the power teams who go every year regardless of who plays.

I've been to 6 SEC Championship Games (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2014 and 2015), and it is a bigger event than most of the NY6 Bowl Games (only the Rose is a bigger event IMO). Moving it to Arlington (which Texas would like) would lessen the allure of the game as an EVENT IMO. It's already in the best place it can be.

Last edited:

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
The only thing TX, or anyone else, can do to screw up the SEC is start looking to kick out the bottom feeders. I do think this will happen eventually. They probably just end up getting paid more as a result, however.

Reactions: Kinch and cycloneML

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Atlanta is the hub of the SEC and really easy for fans of most teams to get there. LSU whines a bit about it, but Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee like it. It's a HARD sellout every year. Waiting list tickets. They are not going to mess with that. There are fans of the power teams who go every year regardless of who plays.

I've been to 6 SEC Championship Games (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2014 and 2015), and it is a bigger event than most of the NY6 Bowl Games (only the Rose is a bigger event IMO). Moving it to Arlington (which Texas would like) would lessen the allure of the game as an EVENT IMO. It's already in the best place it can be.
Atlanta is where the South goes for fun/vacation.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Atlanta is where the South goes for fun/vacation.
At least, they go THROUGH Atlanta to go on vacation. When I was kid in Birmingham, the old joke was when you die - whether you are going to Heaven or Hell, you were going to connect THROUGH Atlanta! :)

Seriously, ATL is a fun town and good for an easy weekend. I lived there for a year and loved it. When I go back on business - I just check the sport schedules, and somebody is playing a game. Last time I went, I caught a Hawks game.

Last edited:
Reactions: MugNight

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
Don’t be too sure. Alabama had a rather mediocre run before Saban. Remember when Iowa State nearly beat them in the Independence Bowl?
I was there…the only people in the stadium that didn’t know it was good we’re the refs.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
So I guess being responsible is to just steal other teams, have ESPN play assassin for you to kill off a conference, and the whine that the other conference does things to survive?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think there is a point where the sustained success leads to stability. Obviously it’s wholly dependent on the next coach maintaining it, but they’ve been at the top long enough to be in the hearts and minds of recruits after he’s gone. Not to mention they’ll be able to hire literally anybody they want. But obviously nothing is certain and it won’t come without effort.

I used to think they'd just call Dabo up and that'd be that.

He hasn't won a national title since 2018 now, though.

Might not be good enough for them. I'm only halfway joking there.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaCyclone