Offense > Defense

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Truly for the life of me still dont understand why we kept running the double at Domask when he was trying to back down Lipsey. LET HIM! Lipsey is one of the best defensive players in the country. If Domask makes a 12 foot turnaround jumper over Lipsey you tip your cap and tell him you will give him the exact same shot next time down the floor.

Under no circumstance should we have been leaving the 3rd leading scorer in the entire country. You have to make them play left-handed and do everything in your power to take away Shannon. Love our staff but that was a head scratcher.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
And lots of contact on some of them - where Shannon got the call on much less contact on the other end
Yes! I made mention about this a couple of times on offensive rebounds Illinois got. ISU would have been called on the other end for the same thing. At least that's how I felt.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think the biggest practical difference between them is just the psychology of it. The Fred teams, you felt you could get down 10-15 points and not worry a bit. The points were going to come, and often in a hurry. Now (and a little less this year as our offense was decent), you just feel like you can't go down double-digits at any point.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Truly for the life of me still dont understand why we kept running the double at Domask when he was trying to back down Lipsey. LET HIM! Lipsey is one of the best defensive players in the country. If Domask makes a 12 foot turnaround jumper over Lipsey you tip your cap and tell him you will give him the exact same shot next time down the floor.

Under no circumstance should we have been leaving the 3rd leading scorer in the entire country. You have to make them play left-handed and do everything in your power to take away Shannon. Love our staff but that was a head scratcher.

That was the early issue. Domask is too big and too strong to be effected by the double. And unlike most guards, he's used to operating out of the mid-post and passing out of double teams. The doubles just weren't ever going to work.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Here are the offensive and defensive ranks entering the tournament for national champions the last 3 years. Feel free to explain your claim on how elite offense being more important than elite defense is "asinine".

YearTeamOffensive RankDefensive Rank
2023​
Uconn
6​
18​
2022​
Kansas
6​
29​
2021​
Baylor
3​
44​

By your chart alone... it looks like you need a lot more than just "an elite offense" - you need the defense to go with it. Therefore - the idea that we need to exchange the elite defense for the elite offense is indeed asinine.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Offense is skill, defense is effort.

Need tj to work his recruiting magic to help get more offense. 23/24 was a huge step, but we need another step like that to go to an elite 8 or farther.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
By your chart alone... it looks like you need a lot more than just "an elite offense" - you need the defense to go with it. Therefore - the idea that we need to exchange the elite defense for the elite offense is indeed asinine.
lol- that’s one way to admit you were wrong.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Offense is skill, defense is effort.

Need tj to work his recruiting magic to help get more offense. 23/24 was a huge step, but we need another step like that to go to an elite 8 or farther.
getting offense in the portal is very difficult. Players with proven ability to score go for big money.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron