*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Thank you @CycloneRulzzz ! You are one of the main reasons I enjoy the gameday posts so much, after all you start them, are always right on time!, and contribute greatly to the site.

Can't wait 'till next year! Oh yeah, and FB before too long. Well too long, but it will be here soon enough. And we'll begin another new chapter with the addition of 4 new teams and no more OuT!

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Sorry if this has been mention already but there is one thing that was disappointing in the post game.

Milan, Keshon, and Tamin all said in their own versions that Illinois came out more aggressive than expected and it took them by surprise.

Oct 30, 2023
I come in peace. You guys are an impressive fan base, and program.

I want to try to genuinely answer the above question.

It’s not about “innocent until proven guilty”, as much as the absence of an actual crime.

The criminal complaint (alleged victim’s version of events) states:
- Terrence waved the woman over to him, where he already had one arm around another woman
- She obliged, he put his arm around her, hand on her shoulder.
- some time later, he moved his hand down to her rear end (over her skirt)
- then to her rear end under the skirt
- then eventually put his hand in her underwear, with penetration (apologies for being graphic)
- 5 to 10 seconds later she stepped away. At which point, he made no effort to continue or restrain her
- at no point did she attempt to stop him physically until the moment she stepped away, unimpeded.
- at no point did she say anything to indicate she wanted him to stop, “no”, or anything of the sort

That’s it. Three months later, after not interviewing anyone who was with Terrence and not interviewing the woman’s friend who was with her, the Lawrence County DA charged him with felony rape.

The university suspended him, as required by policy. A federal judge reviewed the case and the suspension and reinstated him.

The above are all facts, in that they are the alleged victim’s version of events.

My added conjecture is that the DA is under investigation and widely suspected of charging young men with felonies, thereby securing plea deals for misdemeanors when they are threatened with 20 years in prison, boosting her sexual assault convictions.

Not his proudest moment to be sure, but not a crime in most people’s opinion. To face the public labeling of “rapist” and constant taunts and threats that he does for what would seem to be consensual touching in a bar (based on HER statement)… that is why the fans support him.
ok, I'm going to step out of the shadows for a minute.

dude, just don't.

TSJ is almost certainly the sole architect of this situation. I would tend to agree that the felony rape charge (and the mandatory minimum of 12 years in prison) is an insane sentence given the allegations, but if he did what was accused he should face some pretty severe consequences. He successfully got that pushed off until the offseason, we'll see how his hearing goes in May.

Hanging a major felony that they may be able to tag you for over your head to get you to agree to plea deal isn't something that the dastardly Douglas County DA invented, that's pretty much best practice just about everywhere (I have my opinions on that, but not the time).

We kinda skipped over the part where whatever it is he did pissed off the complainant enough that she called the police the next day and went through the rape kit process, which isn't exactly fun. Yes the charges did not come until alter but the report was pretty contemporaneous.

He may or may not get off of the charges, but it seems pretty likely to me he created this incident, which is a #$%^#ing embarrassment for the university, not something to rally the wagons around.

Oct 30, 2023
Here's my biggest thing about it. It would be one thing if they said "Federal judge reinstated him, so we are stuck with him". But they didn't do that. They celebrated it. They acted like he was the victim in all of this. You've got their socials acting like he had been the subject of some kind of unfair treatment.

At worst, he committed sexual assault. At best, he did something dumb that put himself in a very tenuous legal position. None of that should be celebrated, but alas your yokel fanbase keeps propping him up. Seriously, just think of how gross this is given what "he's back" from:

View attachment 126624
That image was from may of last year when he withdrew from the draft.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonehomer

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sorry if this has been mention already but there is one thing that was disappointing in the post game.

Milan, Keshon, and Tamin all said in their own versions that Illinois came out more aggressive than expected and it took them by surprise.

Because that wasn't typical of IL.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

UnitedAgainstFran

Mar 29, 2024
On what planet is this considered a good idea to try this on a woman you just met?

He thought he was some big shot who could do whatever he wanted and not have any consequences becuase he can put a basketball through the net very well.
Last post, then I promise I’ll leave forever:

1. No one is suggesting it was a “good idea”

2. The question asked was “how can any Illini fan still support him or the team”. In fact, many fans have disavowed him and/or the team, but I believe most have not. Personally, when I read “felony rape charges”, I would have some baseline assumptions of what is alleged to have transpired. I think there are varying opinions of whether or not this was criminal and to what level. And that is all assuming that the “she said” side of the story is true. So in all of that, was trying to provide honest insight to answer the question.

3. Athletes of all schools, including ISU, have touched women’s private parts without first gaining verbal consent. And women have touched theirs. It is absurd to assume otherwise.

Be well, and good luck always against Iowa.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Why was Shannon wide open so many times? Is it a downside of the double teaming trapping and switching?

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Why was Shannon wide open so many times? Is it a downside of the double teaming trapping and switching?
Yes, pretty much exactly. The trap almost always comes when someone gets the ball in the short corner and Domask would bait it, hit a skip pass and then the next pass beats the rotation into an open look. There are guys like Domask or the Khalifa guy at BYU that are just skilled enough to beat the trap more often than not.

It's part of why I wish they would adjust a bit more opponent to opponent. When a team shows they can beat that trap, it just leads to a pretty high amount of very good looks against a defense that otherwise rarely gives those up.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Our guys didnt want to get fingered. allegedly
  1. He's one of the more dynamic and aggressive offensive players in the country.
  2. They had enough other players with scoring capabilities that we couldn't only work to shut him down.
  3. They did better than any team I've seen this year in rapidly passing the ball out of double teams and around the floor to open guys, leaving guys out of position all the time. It was a masterclass in how to beat the pressure, especially with the shots going through the hoop.

Last edited:

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I remember this tweet from Norlander last year, and with Alabama winning and Tennessee having a chance today, we could be the team with the worst record in the Sweet 16. Don't get me wrong, as I would rather be there, but of course we would have the worst record when getting there. We are 1-6 after last night. View attachment 126612
As disappointed as I am with ISU losing yesterday, I am equally thrilled that Alabama won and advanced to their 2nd NCAA Tournament Elite 8! My first Alabama basketball memory was the Tide losing to Undefeated Indiana (L 69-74) in the 1976 Sweet 16, and my first CBB game I ever attended was an Alabama NIT Game vs. Virginia (W 90-88) in the 1979 NIT 2nd Round @ Birmingham. So, it is nice to have the Tide break through that Sweet 16 wall again. I have no doubt that ISU will break through that same wall again next year, the year after or sometime soon under TJ. Not sure why, but advancing from the Sweet 16 to the Elite 8 seems to be the hardest step in the Tournament. Roll Tide! and Let's Go State!

Last edited:

CloneBone12

Mar 29, 2024
Here's my biggest thing about it. It would be one thing if they said "Federal judge reinstated him, so we are stuck with him". But they didn't do that. They celebrated it. They acted like he was the victim in all of this. You've got their socials acting like he had been the subject of some kind of unfair treatment.

At worst, he committed sexual assault. At best, he did something dumb that put himself in a very tenuous legal position. None of that should be celebrated, but alas your yokel fanbase keeps propping him up. Seriously, just think of how gross this is given what "he's back" from:

View attachment 126624
That’s was after withdrawal from the NBA draft.

Reactions: Clonefan32

CloneBone12

Mar 29, 2024
The only reason he's still on the Illinois team is because the judge forced Illinois to keep him on the team. The judge was an Illinois alum, huge basketball fan, definitely conflict of interest. We had to reinstate Palo (charges were dropped in this case. Charges have not been dropped in the TSJ case) but he was forced to sit at the end of the bench. If the Illinois program had half an ounce of integrity they would have forced rapist boy to sit at the end of the bench all season. Instead they love him and act like nothing happened. Hopefully karma catches up to them and Illinois gets in trouble down the road. I have zero respect for them.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
ok, I'm going to step out of the shadows for a minute.

dude, just don't.

TSJ is almost certainly the sole architect of this situation. I would tend to agree that the felony rape charge (and the mandatory minimum of 12 years in prison) is an insane sentence given the allegations, but if he did what was accused he should face some pretty severe consequences. He successfully got that pushed off until the offseason, we'll see how his hearing goes in May.

Hanging a major felony that they may be able to tag you for over your head to get you to agree to plea deal isn't something that the dastardly Douglas County DA invented, that's pretty much best practice just about everywhere (I have my opinions on that, but not the time).

We kinda skipped over the part where whatever it is he did pissed off the complainant enough that she called the police the next day and went through the rape kit process, which isn't exactly fun. Yes the charges did not come until alter but the report was pretty contemporaneous.

He may or may not get off of the charges, but it seems pretty likely to me he created this incident, which is a #$%^#ing embarrassment for the university, not something to rally the wagons around.
If nothing happened that she objected to why does she just decline to press charges?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think one could argue that it is the sweet16, everyone going to turn up the aggressiveness (unless you are Team like ISU that is already to 11)

True but if they scouted how IL came out in their previous games and last night was different it would be a surprise.

MR82

Sep 12, 2021
I come in peace. You guys are an impressive fan base, and program.

I want to try to genuinely answer the above question.

It’s not about “innocent until proven guilty”, as much as the absence of an actual crime.

The criminal complaint (alleged victim’s version of events) states:
- Terrence waved the woman over to him, where he already had one arm around another woman
- She obliged, he put his arm around her, hand on her shoulder.
- some time later, he moved his hand down to her rear end (over her skirt)
- then to her rear end under the skirt
- then eventually put his hand in her underwear, with penetration (apologies for being graphic)
- 5 to 10 seconds later she stepped away. At which point, he made no effort to continue or restrain her
- at no point did she attempt to stop him physically until the moment she stepped away, unimpeded.
- at no point did she say anything to indicate she wanted him to stop, “no”, or anything of the sort

That’s it. Three months later, after not interviewing anyone who was with Terrence and not interviewing the woman’s friend who was with her, the Lawrence County DA charged him with felony rape.

The university suspended him, as required by policy. A federal judge reviewed the case and the suspension and reinstated him.

The above are all facts, in that they are the alleged victim’s version of events.

My added conjecture is that the DA is under investigation and widely suspected of charging young men with felonies, thereby securing plea deals for misdemeanors when they are threatened with 20 years in prison, boosting her sexual assault convictions.

Not his proudest moment to be sure, but not a crime in most people’s opinion. To face the public labeling of “rapist” and constant taunts and threats that he does for what would seem to be consensual touching in a bar (based on HER statement)… that is why the fans support him.
You left out the part where the victim submitted to a sexual assault exam at a hospital. The charge is rape-sexual intercourse without consent or by force.

MR82

Sep 12, 2021
Correct. I've been to many bars when I was younger and nowhere is it ever appropriate to do what Shannon did to her. By definition, it is an act of rape.

Now, even though the University was overturned in the suspension, I'm guessing there was nothing in there that they could have just simply sat him out. It's a really bad look to play him in light of what happened.

No way would TJ put up with it. It's a bad look for the coach and the school.
No the coach was told to treat him as any other player. Do he could not limit his playing time.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
No the coach was told to treat him as any other player. Do he could not limit his playing time.

Any other player could also be limited for any number of reasons all the way down to 'shows poor judgment'. He could have let him ride the bench if he wanted to

Reactions: rosshm16

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron