*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
Man. If hasn’t been given yet I’ll do it. Shoutout to Curtis Jones with a Hogue style game trying to will us to win. If you’d have told me we’d get 26 from him I would have predicted a 15 point win.
Unbelievable that this is the same dude from early season. I cringed when he would shoot. Down the stretch he's been our best player, so consistently good.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
His bond with TJ will hopefully work in our favor.
Call it my Cyclone paranoia. I think he’s going to be shown some serious offers. He’s the top guy Im worried about losing
Oh, I certainly don't want to lose him either. I just think he's such a great fit and seems to love the experience here.

Reactions: Freebird

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Nothing from Milan. Nothing from Ward. Keshon goes off for 10 minutes and nothing the other 30. Countless missed layups. Uncharacteristically lazy passes. Couple of ridiculously better bounces for Illinois.

They were better than us tonight and obviously a really good team. But we are every bit as good or better. We played maybe C+ game tonight.

Happy for a great season. Would have gladly signed up for a sweet 16 run this year. But man - this one is going to sting for awhile. Not sure I’ve felt like this since the MSU loss in 2000

For as "bad" as we played tonight, we actually scored out at an 81 for our game score on BartTorvik's site; now, that is a far cry from the 5-game streak of our game scores being 95+, but we didn't lay down a stinker like we comparatively did on the road at Kansas State.

I'm sad such a wonderful season is over, but I'm also glad that it was such a wonderful season. I'd still much rather be us than either the Arizona or UNC fan base.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They also haven’t been to the Final Four in 23? years. With that being a top seed majority of the years.

It's a fun format, but really a lot of luck compared to every other major American sport. Not sure it could be any other way with so many teams.

I'd never do this...but to actually crown a TRUE 100% best team or the true best final four you'd have to do something like this:
- Select the top 4 computer ranked regular season conference champions. Basically 18-20 game qualifier playoff.
- This year it would have been the 4 one seeds
- Play two five game series
- Winners play another five game series

Those teams are legit "best four" more than this format and that champion would 99% of the time be unquestionably the #1 team. The 1% being a close series where officiating blew it (Kings/Lakers in early 00s).

If you look at the Houston Phi Slamma Jamma teams, they were pretty clearly the best team two years straight but came up just short. No way they're losing a 5 game title series two years in a row.

I'd never want any of that...but that's what an actual totally true champion and Final Four would look like. SO WE HAVE MADNESS :)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think some programs with fat wallets will come calling. Hes a talent and could plug in easily to a few big programs.
I don’t know we would be able to counter what he might see on the market. Hopefully I’m worrying over nothing. We should have a pretty good idea what this team will look like next year in the coming weeks.

I think everyone needs to take a step back from the ledge. Why Keshon? Why not Tamin or Milan? I ONLY see this take with Keshon and it’s obvious he and TJ have a strong connection.

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
We will probably start 3 Guards ( including Curtis), Mom and Jackson next year.
Probably, but the rebounding tonight was so bad that I feel it's just as important to have a few more physical/tall and athletic guys out there. That lineup isn't that

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
The K State trolls are out in force on twitter. Wow what a lame fan base.
Not sure what they would be chirping about. Maybe upset about their exit in the first round of the nit against a team that we beat by 25 points?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's a fun format, but really a lot of luck compared to every other major American sport. Not sure it could be any other way with so many teams.

I'd never do this...but to actually crown a TRUE 100% best team or the true best final four you'd have to do something like this:
- Select the top 4 computer ranked regular season conference champions. Basically 18-20 game qualifier playoff.
- This year it would have been the 4 one seeds
- Play two five game series
- Winners play another five game series

Those teams are legit "best four" more than this format and that champion would 99% of the time be unquestionably the #1 team. The 1% being a close series where officiating blew it (Kings/Lakers in early 00s).

If you look at the Houston Phi Slamma Jamma teams, they were pretty clearly the best team two years straight but came up just short. No way they're losing a 5 game title series two years in a row.

I'd never want any of that...but that's what an actual totally true champion and Final Four would look like. SO WE HAVE MADNESS :)

Out of curiosity, why isn't the NFL playoffs also given the 'unfair' label since it's also a one game deal?

Not as random and fewer teams?

Longer game and/or less unpredictability?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The K State trolls are out in force on twitter. Wow what a lame fan base.

Well they've basically convinced themselves an a-hole version of Steve Prohm is John Wooden, so we're going to get to laugh at them for 4-5 years as they suck.

They'll be pushed even further down next year. Arizona, Colorado and Utah all coming in clearly better.

Ranking the programs (past few years, next few years) I'd go:

KU
Houston
Arizona
-----
Baylor
ISU
Colorado
Tech
BYU
TCU
Cincy
Utah
-----
KSU
WVU (although they could jump up fast)
UCF
OK St (also could jump up fast)
ASU

That's a huge hill to climb with a psychotic nutjob as coach at Kansas State.

Reactions: rosshm16

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Out of curiosity, why isn't the NFL playoffs also given the 'unfair' label since it's also a one game deal?

Not as random and fewer teams?

Longer game and/or less unpredictability?

Basketball moves relatively quickly compared to Football, with far fewer opportunities for major adjustments. Plus, there are fewer players. Leads to a bit more variance vs football.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yes. And although I enjoy the way TJ constructs the roster, it's because it could allow us to get to THIS GAME. Which we've proven the last few visits to the Sweet 16 we cannot win. That sounds entitled, I realize, but just ONE TIME I'd love for us to break through....really break through to a Final Four. Seems so elusive.
They are 0-2 in the S16 under TJ in year 3. Let’s not act like this is some long trend.