*** Official #12 IOWA STATE vs Oklahoma State Game(Day) Thread ***

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
So wish Gabe could have got a shot up or at least a trip to the FT line on that last turnover. We had an incredible chance to win the game right there. King had a decent look, but really question that shot with that much time left.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Both game we controlled until the end, as in lead the ENTIRE game. Big difference.

Inevitably we will have a Texas type start on the road, against a decent team, and get buried. That's why it's important not to let games you've largely controlled slip away, although everyone has at least one of those games a season.

Hope this was ours. I just hope the staff comes around to BRE being too slow and unathletic to factor against the better Big 12 teams. And by that I mean everyone outside of Texas Tech. That is something our coaches can control and influence. At least they should.
I understand, but you do understand OK State was also actively trying to come back the entire game, right? And that the players are human and not robots…

I don’t know that your take in particular goes too far, but I’m amazed by how many people don’t seem to understand this. I’m not sure whether it’s that they haven’t played sports themselves, are playing too many video games, or something else.

That has been a huge problem with video games in my opinion though (though I will admit I haven’t played much in the last 7 years or so). If a guy is a 90+in Madden for instance, you don’t expect him to ever make a mistake. The old Bases Loaded game for Nintendo somewhat had a fix for this. That whole biometrics curve that gave great players a chance to be bad and good players the opportunity to be great.

Regardless….there should be way less critical nitpicking of players and coaches. You can probably safely assume every player and coach has a handful of times a game they wish they had back, but to suggest next game is going to be perfect (or any such idea) is absurd.

Reactions: Acer88 and madguy30

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Are you saying you don't notice a difference between playing B12 basketball vs. what happened at Bonnie?

Did I say that?

The issue is why, at this juncture of the season, are we not extending his minutes when he's often the (or one of the) most valuable assets we have on the floor. Having a full offseason of conditioning in addition to a half a season of basketball should be enough to get a guy, on virtually any team, to be able to play 30 minutes a night.

No matter how you slice it there's a problem there somewhere. And THAT is/was my point.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I understand, but you do understand OK State was also actively trying to come back the entire game, right? And that the players are human and not robots…

I don’t know that your take in particular goes too far, but I’m amazed by how many people don’t seem to understand this. I’m not sure whether it’s that they haven’t played sports themselves, are playing too many video games, or something else.

That has been a huge problem with video games in my opinion though (though I will admit I haven’t played much in the last 7 years or so). If a guy is a 90+in Madden for instance, you don’t expect him to ever make a mistake. The old Bases Loaded game for Nintendo somewhat had a fix for this. That whole biometrics curve that gave great players a chance to be bad and good players the opportunity to be great.

Regardless….there should be way less critical nitpicking of players and coaches. You can probably safely assume every player and coach has a handful of times a game they wish they had back, but to suggest next game is going to be perfect (or any such idea) is absurd.

Fair take.

I tend to focus more on the things we can control like effort (particularly defense and rebounding) and decision making (players and coaches). The former of those two groups is largely about shot selection (if you take good shots you will make a higher percentage of those and eliminate transition ops) while the latter is about preparedness, rotations/subs, and TO usage. In fairness OSU brought a lot of pressure and intensity in the second half, sometimes forcing us to take bad shots, but at times (particularly) Holmes we forced the issue. The other was Jones' minutes as he was wildly terrible and ineffective. Osun was a game changer, had 1 foul, and only played 23 minutes. That just doesn't make sense.

Obviously it's much harder to make those decisions in a game, under duress, and with knowledge us fans will (likely) never know about. Myself included.