*** Official #14 IOWA STATE vs Baylor Game(Day) THREAD ***

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm being completely serious when I say this: Breece should sit out the rest of the season. Pretty much all the goals and reasons for coming back are either already failed or no longer possible. Sit out and avoid injury before the draft.
I don't disagree. It would be selfish and he would get a lot of grief for it, but it would be the best for himself personally. Best part of today's game was that all the people bit**ing about something being wrong or looking off with him can shut the hell up finally.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The cynic in me says he wants his reaction to the question to be the story, not the failures in critical moments of the game, just to provide a little cover for players and coaches after a bad loss. But I didn't hear it live for full context.
You are right when you say...."BAD LOSS"....

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It's the same mistakes that come back to haunt us game after game in September. Turnovers, poor line play, critical mistakes on special teams and the rest of it.

At the end of the year, Campbell needs to sit the staff down and make some changes, we need to hire someone that can teach special teams, rethink what we are doing on the offensive line and play calling, yesterday the line was blocking no one, without Hall we would be screwed, he is getting most of those yards with little to no help from the guys up front.

On the defensive side of the ball, it gets old playing a half before we make adjustments, can we blitz more to put pressure on the QB earlier in the games, let stop allowing them to get into a rhythm throwing the ball at the start of the game.

The entire off season we were told that the offensive line was the best ever, that Purdy was working on cutting down his mistakes, neither which has happened. Its up to the players and the staff to figure this out, but I get the feeling its same ol, same ol, we can see the promise land, but just cannot cross over and get there.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm being completely serious when I say this: Breece should sit out the rest of the season. Pretty much all the goals and reasons for coming back are either already failed or no longer possible. Sit out and avoid injury before the draft.

I agree. Kolar should sit out too. Came back to complete something special, but that’s not happening. Hall and Kolar shouldn’t risk injury just to get to the First Responder Bowl.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
OK everybody who knows better than Manning.

What should the play call have been on 2 point conversion? Obviously not what we actually did.

Looks to my untrained eye like Breece to either edge is an easy 2pts.
Breece off tackle all day. With a Rus lead block.

• Winner
Reactions: 67CY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Out gaining is a dumb stat. Done that twice this year and it's been two losses. Get back to me with points per possession. All that matters is points.

Truth. It' like losing a baseball game 5-4 but outhitting the other team 10 to 6 while walking 6 and making 3 errors.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Couldn't watch yesterday...sounds about like I had a feeling it would go.

Humble unfortunate brag: I tried warning back in some thread about exactly what we're seeing and I got kind of lit up for it: the prior season doesn't equal automatic success.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Total yards isn't the best stat when you get more chances at yards, but fewer points because:
- Drives die out around the 20
- Throw and interception
- KO return for a TD gives the offense 2 drives in a row artificially.

Saying we out gained them is kind of useless when those factors are considered
Agree, it's all about points.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Just watched the last play, and they NEVER go under center. It's obvious it isn't worked on, and to call it in that situation, is representative of HORRENDOUS coaching. Manning needs to be fired. NOW. He will single handedly keep this team from going anywhere.

Reactions: xboxfever

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Go back and watch the replay...I'm pretty sure Newell snapped it straight on ground and it bounced up to Purdy. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that was all Newell.

Not referring to u on this btw....But I'm a bit perplexed at all teh comments on B. Purdy? Dude was 66% for 270yds? Sure there were some throws that were off but overall Brock has played fine..more than fine to win games. Outside Iowa debacle which I don't even blame him for that.

This loss again is 100% on Matt Campbell. Without hesitation. Matt Campbell decisions (Dunn over and over) are why were are 2-2 today.
Agree about Purdy. This offense only works well if the QB plays almost flawlessly - there are plenty of offenses out there with worse QBs but better offenses.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Couldn't watch yesterday...sounds about like I had a feeling it would go.

Humble unfortunate brag: I tried warning back in some thread about exactly what we're seeing and I got kind of lit up for it: the prior season doesn't equal automatic success.
“I told you so” mixed with a tinge of schadenfreude is not a great look today.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
You are right when you say...."BAD LOSS"....
In the first half I knew our defense would play better in the second half but thought Baylor was a very good team but then the second half happened and Baylor looked very pedestrian - we gave them the win. So I'm still not sure if Baylor is a good team or not.

OtisMyMan

May 3, 2013
The season so far:

UNI = W : Not as easy as we'd have hoped, but the Panthers get up for this game and have caused us problems in the past

Iowa = L : An absolute kick in the teeth for a game so many of us were looking forward to. The Hoks didn't even play that well. Staff seemed to throw in the towel early.

UNLV = W : Excellent all around. Purdy was near perfect and many of us thought this was the righting of the ship

Baylor = L : Baffling performance all around. We're not supposed to go to Waco for a loss. They were horrible last season and we are supposedly the peaking year of the Campbell reign

If the pattern holds true, based on alternating wins and losses, we should beat Kansas who haven't won since their opener and got crushed by Baylor. But this is game FIVE. Pundits talk about making halftime adjustments to improve the teams performance. I'm not sure there isn't a team on our schedule that can't beat us until this staff makes some needed and obvious adjustments. The big question is, "Will They?"

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 67CY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The season so far:

UNI = W : Not as easy as we'd have hoped, but the Panthers get up for this game and have caused us problems in the past

Iowa = L : An absolute kick in the teeth for a game so many of us were looking forward to. The Hoks didn't even play that well. Staff seemed to throw in the towel early.

UNLV = W : Excellent all around. Purdy was near perfect and many of us thought this was the righting of the ship

Baylor = L : Baffling performance all around. We're not supposed to go to Waco for a loss. They were horrible last season and we are supposedly the peaking year of the Campbell reign

If the pattern holds true, based on alternating wins and losses, we should beat Kansas who haven't won since their opener and got crushed by Baylor. But this is game FIVE. Pundits talk about making halftime adjustments to improve the teams performance. I'm not sure there isn't a team on our schedule that can't beat us until this staff makes some needed and obvious adjustments. The big question is, "Will They?"

I'd recommend looking at Baylor's scores from a year ago and rewatch the ISU /Baylor game that need an INT in the endzone to seal it.

Reactions: agentbear

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I’m up for giving Kyle a shot at calling plays. Offense has no identity, consistency nor rhythm. Consistency on offense should be enough to overcome our issues on ST with the schedule we’ve played but obviously that hasn’t been the case.
  • 1st & 10 at ISU 23
    (11:26 - 3rd) Breece Hall run for 1 yd to the IowSt 22
  • 2nd & 11 at ISU 22
    (11:26 - 3rd) Brock Purdy pass complete to Chase Allen for 1 yd to the IowSt 21
  • 3rd & 12 at ISU 21
    (11:26 - 3rd) Brock Purdy pass complete to Charlie Kolar for 20 yds to the IowSt 41 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at ISU 41
    (11:26 - 3rd) Breece Hall run for 13 yds to the Bayl 46 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at BAY 46
    (11:26 - 3rd) Brock Purdy pass complete to Chase Allen for 20 yds to the Bayl 26 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at BAY 26
    (11:26 - 3rd) Hall,Breece rush for 5 yards gain to the BAY21 (McVea,Jairon) PENALTY BAY Offside (Ika,Siaki) 5 yards from BAY26 to BAY21. NO PLAY.
  • 1st & 5 at BAY 21
    (11:26 - 3rd) Jirehl Brock run for -1 yd to the Bayl 22
  • 2nd & 6 at BAY 22
    (11:26 - 3rd) Brock Purdy pass incomplete to Charlie Kolar
  • 3rd & 6 at BAY 22
    (11:26 - 3rd) Brock Purdy pass incomplete to Xavier Hutchinson
  • 4th & 6 at BAY 22
    (7:13 - 3rd) Andrew Mevis 39 yd FG GOOD
This is a typical Manning sequence...1st and 5...a perfect time to put some pressure on the defense and capitalize on the defensive miscue. Instead ISU runs a weak running play with the backup RB, and 1st and 5 becomes 2nd and 6. The drive then stalls, two plays after a 1st and 5, and ISU has to settle for a FG.

The kind of passive play calling kills ISU time after time. Rarely pushing the defense or trying to get them uncomfortable. Something has to change.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The season so far:

I'd recommend looking at Baylor's scores from a year ago and rewatch the ISU /Baylor game that need an INT in the endzone to seal it.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
  • 1st & 10 at ISU 23
    (11:26 - 3rd) Breece Hall run for 1 yd to the IowSt 22
  • 2nd & 11 at ISU 22
    (11:26 - 3rd) Brock Purdy pass complete to Chase Allen for 1 yd to the IowSt 21
  • 3rd & 12 at ISU 21
    (11:26 - 3rd) Brock Purdy pass complete to Charlie Kolar for 20 yds to the IowSt 41 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at ISU 41
    (11:26 - 3rd) Breece Hall run for 13 yds to the Bayl 46 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at BAY 46
    (11:26 - 3rd) Brock Purdy pass complete to Chase Allen for 20 yds to the Bayl 26 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at BAY 26
    (11:26 - 3rd) Hall,Breece rush for 5 yards gain to the BAY21 (McVea,Jairon) PENALTY BAY Offside (Ika,Siaki) 5 yards from BAY26 to BAY21. NO PLAY.
  • 1st & 5 at BAY 21
    (11:26 - 3rd) Jirehl Brock run for -1 yd to the Bayl 22
  • 2nd & 6 at BAY 22
    (11:26 - 3rd) Brock Purdy pass incomplete to Charlie Kolar
  • 3rd & 6 at BAY 22
    (11:26 - 3rd) Brock Purdy pass incomplete to Xavier Hutchinson
  • 4th & 6 at BAY 22
    (7:13 - 3rd) Andrew Mevis 39 yd FG GOOD
This is a typical Manning sequence...1st and 5...a perfect time to put some pressure on the defense and capitalize on the defensive miscue. Instead ISU runs a weak running play with the backup RB, and 1st and 5 becomes 2nd and 6. The drive then stalls, two plays after a 1st and 5, and ISU has to settle for a FG.

The kind of passive play calling kills ISU time after time. Rarely pushing the defense or trying to get them uncomfortable. Something has to change.
When was the last time we ran any kind of screen play, reverse, fly sweep, misdirection etc?

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY