*** Official #14 IOWA STATE vs Texas (SAMSUBA) Game(Day) Thread ***

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Looks like it's part of some special package. Unless I can figure out how to get a free trial (I've probably used all of my options haha) I won't be tuning in.

Oh well. Things tend to not go well in Austin especially recently so hopefully ISU bucks the trend tonight.
Cyclones.com front page and click audio will give you John and Eric. Listened to the Baylor post game that way.

Reactions: Kinch and madguy30

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Feeling weirdly good about this one, especially coming off that Baylor game.

'Clones 77 - 68

(my initial gut had UT scoring 69, but they aren't nice)

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010
Anybody know a place in Ames that has Dish/LHN and will be showing the game?
Wallaby’s posted on Facebook that they will have the game and even said Yes we have the Longhorn Network in their post

Reactions: Cycsk

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Would be nice if I could watch this game. Hoping for a questionable-legality YouTube stream.

I can confirm it's not on YouTube TV, if anyone was wondering.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For anybody listening to radio online if the varsity app glitches (it often does) use the Iowa state cyclones free app that streams all games radio live.

Reactions: rosshm16 and Kinch

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Dish has the Long Horn network so if you know anyone or a bar that has Dish that's a possibility. Looking forward to another interesting game.
We can watch it on our Dish. Just will have to see how bad announcers are as far as whether we want to mute or try to sync with radio. There have been times they are not completely insufferable.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
[Geezer checks notes.]

Hey, Rulzz, ¿qué quiere decir SAMSUBA? (asking for a friend)

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

PizzaTheHutt

Feb 6, 2014
Tonight is the difference between finishing 12-6 or 13-5 in conference. I thought we had a better chance of beating Baylor than Texas on the road. Hope the team surprises us tonight with a W.

Horns way down

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
From the analytics sites, they show us a 1-2 pt favorite.

Texas is #25 on KenPom, #22 offensive efficiency and #60 defensive efficiency - which is fairly similar to TCU on both sides, just a bit better. Of course they went to TCU and won by 11 on Saturday.

They are currently 1-3 at home in conference play, with the lone win being a 2 pt win over Baylor. You can look at that both ways, that they are vulnerable at home (a rarity in the BigXII) or that they are desperate.

In conference play they play a 8-man rotation, with 3 bigs and 5 guards.

The bigs are really good and play really well together. There will almost always be 2 of the 3 on the court at the same time, which means we probably won't go small very much. Disu has been their second best player since he returned from injury just before conference play, averaging 17 & 5 with 2 steals and a block while shooting 49% from 3. Mitchell is a beast on the boards when dialed in, he's very comparible to Tre King in terms of size and strength. He's averaging 11 & 8 - but only really scores at the rim. Off the bench is Shedrick, who started for Virginia the last couple years. At 6'11" he's a capable experienced player off the bench, but is only averaging 4 & 2 in conference play.

Disu averages 4 fouls a game in conference play, which is a major weakness for their team. Being aggressive and psychical with him is a key.

When they go small, they play 6'5" Brock Cunningham at the 4. He's been there it seems like forever. He's not shooting as well from 3 this year (35%- he was over 40 the last 2 years) but is still deadly if we don't rotate.

The starting guards are 6'0", 6'1", 6'3" and the primary sub is 6'3". So just based on that, Milan should have some early good looks on iso or posts, if we choose to. Their go-to player is Max Abmas, who averaged 20+ppg at Oral Roberts the last 3 years. He's averaging 18 this year, shooting right at 40% from 3. He averages 3 2-point FGMs, 3 3-point FGM and 3 FTM a game, so he's very much a "score everywhere" guard. Abmas and Hunter kind of share the PG duties, both averaging 4 assists per game and both turn the ball over 2-3 times a game. Abmas plays 37+ minutes per game as well.

Our keys are as usual - get turnovers and easy points off of them. Don't get beat on the boards. No easy points in the paint and hope they aren't super hot and we aren't super cold from 3.

I think they are a team that we can wear down as the game goes with our physical play - and hopefully force some foul trouble on their bigs. I'll predict ISU wins 74-67

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron