*** Official #20 BYU vs #6 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Morty52

Aug 19, 2012
Urbandale, IA
I want to hear the radio crew reaction to non and 1 call. Eric was probably losing it like all of us.

Is there a way to listen to radio replays? Is that a thing with cyclones tv?
Do you have the "Varsity App"? If not, download it and set it up by choosing your teams. After that, when you start the "Varsity App", choose "Your Feed" located at the bottom of the screen. When it comes up, notice that there are 2 tabs; "Live Stream" and "On Demand". "On Demand" is John and Eric. This is the best ISU game App I have found. Absolutely love it. I sync this "Live Stream" with the tv and listen to John and Eric. If you have DVR'd the game you can sync the "On Demand" replay with the DVR replay on the tv.

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
This BYU fan was at the game. I don’t think he likes us :confused:

I like how he calls our students "entitled, whiny brats" but then comments that ISU will be out in the next realignment. You come into a conference that we've been in for 100 years - in some form or fashion - and want us to be pushed out but we're the entitled ones?
Yeah bite me poor loser Ten_hour_drive! Despite never winning an NCAA Tournament game, I think Mark Pope is a really good coach and will be offered way better jobs after his success this season. BTW I think Steve Prohm would make a good replacement when Pope leaves!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just watched all the postgame pressers. TJ started with a really classy comment addressing Randy's retirement. They talked a lot about getting stops to close the game (8 straight), and that's a great way to finish. If you allow them to score a bunch, then you have to score a bunch too, so it's really nice to be able to rely on stopping people because we don't have to hit a bunch of huge shots to finish them off.

Also, I thought Mark Pope was really complimentary of our team and repeatedly gave us credit when discussing where they came up short. Very classy dude.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Their centers are not the physical specimens that Ward and R Jones are.
Good point - and maybe why Khalifa didn't play as much towards the end. Likely the big dude was gassed.

Also, their offensive style of play demands a ton of movement so their other players ran a ton doing all that cutting and coming off the hand off screens. Likely led to tired legs which led to the poorer shooting from deep later in the game. Almost seemed TJ upped the planned substitutions by about 30 seconds on the game clock to keep our guys fresh, too, and it was truly a game of physical attrition.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Good point - and maybe why Khalifa didn't play as much towards the end. Likely the big dude was gassed.

Also, their offensive style of play demands a ton of movement so their other players ran a ton doing all that cutting and coming off the hand off screens. Likely led to tired legs which led to the poorer shooting from deep later in the game. Almost seemed TJ upped the planned substitutions by about 30 seconds on the game clock to keep our guys fresh, too, and it was truly a game of physical attrition.
Playing home games at the altitude of BYU I would have thought that their players would actually have more endurance than ours in the thicker air here. TJ was doing a great job of subbing players in and out, while it did not seem that that BYU was subbing as much, could be less depth or something else.

They were pushing for Duke to jump into the 2 line last night quite a bit, not sure what ISU has to do to get some respect and have the talking heads just realize that we are a very good team.

Reactions: BigCyFan

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah bite me poor loser Ten_hour_drive! Despite never winning an NCAA Tournament game, I think Mark Pope is a really good coach and will be offered way better jobs after his success this season. BTW I think Steve Prohm would make a good replacement when Pope leaves!
I wouldn't wish that on Prohm.

Would be a helluva place for Fran to finish out his career though.

• Funny
  • Haha
Reactions: NWICY and Cupped

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
This BYU fan was at the game. I don’t think he likes us :confused:

I love the difference in fan base responses on our respective boards to the respective losses of our teams against each other this year.

We lose in Provo and it's largely well s*** we got outplayed, that team's just a bad matchup for us, hope we get them back in Hilton.

They lose in Ames and it's hurf durf the arena was too loud, the students are too close and we can't hear coach, the refs f***ed us, hope they get realigned out, blah blah blah.

I don't know why anyone likes or even tolerates this (BYU's) athletic dept or this school. Bunch of hypocrites. They piss and moan about playing basketball on Sundays and the NCAA has to schedule around them every year, but when their football players get to the NFL all these issues of playing on Sunday vanish. "I'm a highly observant Mormon until you pay me enough money" I guess. Their campus "personal conduct" code also openly discriminates against same-sex relationships. F***'em.

I also don't know how any sane person watches that game and thinks ISU came out favored by the officiating.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
An I the only one that's not a fan of the nickname Flamin Tamin?
MV5BOWQ2NTRjZGUtNDk2Yy00ZjIzLWI5N2QtMTA5YjcwYzRmMTRhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Reactions: jcyclonee

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Was in a glass case of emotion last night.

My biggest question- who is BYUs point guard? Who is the calming influence on court when things are going south?

They have a bunch of good ball-handlers and passers, but I wasn't sure who was 'the guy' to take the ball, settle everyone down, and just be that floor leader. Maybe that's why they look like a top 10 team, but then lose games they probably shouldn't. They looked leaderless the last 4 minutes. They didn't score a SINGLE POINT the last 4.5 minutes!!

Thank goodness for Lipsey being ISU's floor general, but also Curtis - he is an absolute rock out there.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
The unflappable Cyclones prevail again. Man I love this TEAM!!!
I do too... but the trends at the end are starting to remind me of 2014-15 (I really hope not!) They keep getting themselves into self-created jams. They don't fully learn from them, because they get out of them.

This last one reminded me ALOT of the Oklahoma comeback at Hilton.