*** Official #20 BYU vs #6 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Are they held to the same standards? How are students expelled for 'soaking' if they're not Mormon? Do all students need to abstain?

The Church Educational System (CES) is sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Church) and directed by the Church Board of Education/Boards of Trustees, with the mission to develop disciples of Jesus Christ who are leaders in their homes, the Church, and their communities.

The CES Honor Code helps to accomplish the CES mission to build disciples of Jesus Christ. As faculty, administration, staff, and students voluntarily commit to conduct their lives in accordance with the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ, they strive to maintain the highest standards in their personal conduct regarding honor, integrity, morality, and consideration of others. By accepting appointment, continuing in employment, being admitted, or continuing enrollment, each member of the campus communities personally commits to observe the CES Honor Code approved by the Board of Trustees:

• Maintain an Ecclesiastical Endorsement, including striving to deepen faith and maintain gospel standards
  • Be honest
  • Live a chaste and virtuous life, including abstaining from sexual relations outside marriage between a man and a woman. Living a chaste and virtuous life also includes abstaining from same-sex romantic behavior.
  • Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, vaping, marijuana, and other substance abuse
  • Participate regularly in Church services
  • Respect others, including the avoidance of profane and vulgar language
  • Obey the law and follow campus policies, including the CES Dress and Grooming standards
  • Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code and Dress and Grooming standards.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

The Church Educational System (CES) is sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Church) and directed by the Church Board of Education/Boards of Trustees, with the mission to develop disciples of Jesus Christ who are leaders in their homes, the Church, and their communities.

The CES Honor Code helps to accomplish the CES mission to build disciples of Jesus Christ. As faculty, administration, staff, and students voluntarily commit to conduct their lives in accordance with the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ, they strive to maintain the highest standards in their personal conduct regarding honor, integrity, morality, and consideration of others. By accepting appointment, continuing in employment, being admitted, or continuing enrollment, each member of the campus communities personally commits to observe the CES Honor Code approved by the Board of Trustees:

• Maintain an Ecclesiastical Endorsement, including striving to deepen faith and maintain gospel standards
  • Be honest
  • Live a chaste and virtuous life, including abstaining from sexual relations outside marriage between a man and a woman. Living a chaste and virtuous life also includes abstaining from same-sex romantic behavior.
  • Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, vaping, marijuana, and other substance abuse
  • Participate regularly in Church services
  • Respect others, including the avoidance of profane and vulgar language
  • Obey the law and follow campus policies, including the CES Dress and Grooming standards
  • Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code and Dress and Grooming standards.
The dress and grooming standards begs my original question then. One of the BYU players had tattoos.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I thought it looked like a 99% easy call live and on the replay. Yeah the guy starts moving under him as he goes up but he's still pushing further in during the put back.

Maybe I watch too many NBA games because if I'm watching an NBA game I move it up to 100% absolute certain they never call it like that. I mostly only watch ISU other than years like this where teams winning/losing could get us a Big 12 championships.

Maybe in college basketball that's the right call...although even in ISU games it seemed freakishly wrong from my past 28 years of watching ISU.
He's literally holding him with his left hand the entire time the ball is in the air from Jones' shot.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The comment section on that local article is more active than every Iowa MBB board combined.

BYU belongs in Power One hoops. A huge % of the big fan bases who actually care, show up and get loud are in this one conference.
The comments section was good. And I'm filing away "Yner" if BYU fans ever start to annoy me.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I noticed some fans wearing BYU gear last night & I said, "Welcome to Iowa State". I asked where they were from & a gentleman replied, "Iowa City"....:rolleyes:

Well probably Mormon if he was a Hawk fan he would have been wearing the flintstone Tshirt.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I found this somewhat fascinating. Three of BYU's players are Muslim and are about to have to deal with Ramadan fasting during the tournament. I just assumed that everyone - or at least nearly everyone - that goes to BYU is Morman.

I was about to post this as well. Muslim fasting would be very hard on a BB player. I guess Hakeem Olajuwon, and likely many others were/and are able to do it though.

One high profile athlete who went to BYU, who also wasn't Mormon (I don't think), was Jim McMahon, Bears Super Bowl QB. He grew up Catholic.

I thought I saw a post not too long ago, that something like 90+ % of BYU students are Mormon, and something like 30+ odd % of UU (Utah) students are Mormon.

So no, not ALL are Mormon.

Reactions: CyCoug

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
After reading this ten_hour_drive BYU fan's ridiculous comments regarding Hilton being too loud, I am left wondering, can we further enhance the "loudness" in Hilton? For all you excellent Cyclone engineers out there, can the accoustics be further developed to increase the Magic?

Reactions: MJ29 and cyclone101

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
After reading this ten_hour_drive BYU fan's ridiculous comments regarding Hilton being too loud, I am left wondering, can we further enhance the "loudness" in Hilton? For all you excellent Cyclone engineers out there, can the accoustics be further developed to increase the Magic?
The slatted portion of the ceiling is designed to be a baffle and reduce noise and echo.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
That call on BRE basket was inexcusable. That was a textbook "and one" play. Especially when you consider the UCF game with the 2 NBA continuation calls that were made.
I just rewatched the game. The ref that called the foul was way out by the timeline. He blew his whistle as the shot was in the air. It wasn't in the air long but that is about the exact time he blew his whistle. There is no way the foul occurred before the shot then. The only other explanation is that the ref saw a foul prior to the shot, but wasn't going to call it. Then as the shot was taken, he changed his mind and blew his whistle.

I myself don't see a foul until BRE was in his shooting motion. But the above is the only rational explanation. He decided (wrongly, I think) there was an earlier foul, but hesitated to call it until the shot went up.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
I found this somewhat fascinating. Three of BYU's players are Muslim and are about to have to deal with Ramadan fasting during the tournament. I just assumed that everyone - or at least nearly everyone - that goes to BYU is Morman.

They can eat as much as they like at night, so not that big of a deal.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
In the 1st half there was a string of in my opinion poor calls the BYU fans ahead of my got a full content version of sailor language after the one that really pissed me off. Oh well.
You need to be much nicer and represent ISU well.

So, Good job! Keep up the important work of fandomhood! :D

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
They can eat as much as they like at night, so not that big of a deal.
Maybe, but it kinda is. They can't drink fluids, even water, during the day, I don't think. For an athlete, during a game, that would be a great disadvantage.