NBA: *** Official 2014 NBA Off-Season Thread ***

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
He'll have to stay healthy, too. He's missed like thirty some games in his NBA career so far. Too early to tell if those were just fluky things or if he's just one of those injury prone players. One was a knee sprain and then the other was a broken bone, but I forget where.
As for leaving for the Lakers (sorry, going off on a bit of a tangent here) I don't think that being in a big media market is that great an advantage for NBA teams chasing free agents anymore. With young stars like Paul George and Kevin Durant proving that you can build your brand playing for a small market and LA actually seeing a premier free agent choose to leave town with the Dwight Howard fiasco, there might be a shift away from the idea that the best place to be is New York or LA.

I think you're right that NY and LA are losing that cache due to how easy it is to market oneself now. But, the Pelicans have really mortgaged their future the last 2-3 years. If they don't make a playoff push in the next couple, I see Davis opting out and or forcing a trade somewhere else. Once Kobe's contract is up, LA will have tons of cap space. Davis and Randle side by side would be a pretty lethal force.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
joel embiid GOAT rookie twitterer

mxOqzxt.png

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
What's the O/U on the amount of games he plays next year? 30?

I would set it higher, 50 or so. He seems destined for a Penny Hardaway type of career at this point.

Other NBA news looks like the Suns are open to shopping Bledsoe now, also looks like Durant has a monster offer from Under Armour. If I was a Thunder fan, I'm really hoping he sticks with Nike.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I would set it higher, 50 or so. He seems destined for a Penny Hardaway type of career at this point.

Other NBA news looks like the Suns are open to shopping Bledsoe now, also looks like Durant has a monster offer from Under Armour. If I was a Thunder fan, I'm really hoping he sticks with Nike.

Is there some reason tied to him staying in okc or you just like nike gear?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Is there some reason tied to him staying in okc or you just like nike gear?

With Under Armour being based near DC, I just think it's going to add more fuel to the rumors of him heading home to the Wizards in 2016.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

I saw this yesterday. What surprised me the most is if Nike matches whatever UA is offering (Like $250+ million over the next 10 years) he legally HAS TO stay with Nike. He can't choose UA if Nike matches.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I saw this yesterday. What surprised me the most is if Nike matches whatever UA is offering (Like $250+ million over the next 10 years) he legally HAS TO stay with Nike. He can't choose UA if Nike matches.

Is that due to some clause in his current Nike contract? I'm kind of curious if the league has any control over endorsement deals including incentives to play for certain teams. LeBron was rumored to have a kicker in his Nike contract if he ever went to NY or LA but I believe that was actually found to be false. It seems like this would open the door to finding ways around the salary cap by working through a third party.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Is that due to some clause in his current Nike contract? I'm kind of curious if the league has any control over endorsement deals including incentives to play for certain teams. LeBron was rumored to have a kicker in his Nike contract if he ever went to NY or LA but I believe that was actually found to be false. It seems like this would open the door to finding ways around the salary cap by working through a third party.

I read that same article. The way the writer put it, Durant was overly eager to sign with Nike the first time around and so they got a sweetheart deal including the right of first refusal.
I think that Durant will go wherever he thinks he can continue to contend. If that's the case then OKC is still the odds-on favorite for now. But a lot can change over the next two years. Westbrook's knee cartilage isn't going to magically regenerate,OKC has been irritatingly stubborn about avoiding the luxury tax, and because Scotty Brooks. If the Wizards core of Wall and Beal is just starting to peak at that time, then Durant might go east.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I read that same article. The way the writer put it, Durant was overly eager to sign with Nike the first time around and so they got a sweetheart deal including the right of first refusal.
I think that Durant will go wherever he thinks he can continue to contend. If that's the case then OKC is still the odds-on favorite for now. But a lot can change over the next two years. Westbrook's knee cartilage isn't going to magically regenerate,OKC has been irritatingly stubborn about avoiding the luxury tax, and because Scotty Brooks. If the Wizards core of Wall and Beal is just starting to peak at that time, then Durant might go east.

Owners that cheap out when their team is a title contender drives me nuts. Wouldn't winning a title be the best part of owning a team? Pro sports teams don't lose money, you may lose some money in a given year but you have an insanely valuable asset that only increases in value. If you want to be cheap when you're bad, fine do that, collect the revenue sharing check and make money then. When you have a limited window and you're winning 55+ games and getting to the conference finals and selling first round draft picks every year like the mid 00's Suns, or amnestying Mike Miller to save a few million as a two time defending champ or flipping a guy like Harden a year early after making the Finals just to avoid paying the tax, it drives me nuts.

I think the Wizards, shockingly enough, had a great offseason. They got Gortat back at a fair value that might not look great in the back end but if the cap goes up as expected won't be too much of an issue, they avoided overpaying Ariza, they got a great temporary replacement in Paul Pierce, Otto Porter and Glen Rice Jr looked like legit NBA players in the summer league. The worst thing that they could do is take a big step back before 2016, as long as they stay somewhere in the 3-6 range in the East they will be able to sell themselves as title contenders with the addition of Durant. The next logical move is to upgrade from Randy Whitman, but maybe you try to get two more years out of him then let Durant have a say in the next coach if he signs there.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Owners that cheap out when their team is a title contender drives me nuts. Wouldn't winning a title be the best part of owning a team? Pro sports teams don't lose money, you may lose some money in a given year but you have an insanely valuable asset that only increases in value. If you want to be cheap when you're bad, fine do that, collect the revenue sharing check and make money then. When you have a limited window and you're winning 55+ games and getting to the conference finals and selling first round draft picks every year like the mid 00's Suns, or amnestying Mike Miller to save a few million as a two time defending champ or flipping a guy like Harden a year early after making the Finals just to avoid paying the tax, it drives me nuts.

I think the Wizards, shockingly enough, had a great offseason. They got Gortat back at a fair value that might not look great in the back end but if the cap goes up as expected won't be too much of an issue, they avoided overpaying Ariza, they got a great temporary replacement in Paul Pierce, Otto Porter and Glen Rice Jr looked like legit NBA players in the summer league. The worst thing that they could do is take a big step back before 2016, as long as they stay somewhere in the 3-6 range in the East they will be able to sell themselves as title contenders with the addition of Durant. The next logical move is to upgrade from Randy Whitman, but maybe you try to get two more years out of him then let Durant have a say in the next coach if he signs there.

Yeah, Wittman is the turd in the punch bowl in DC. I'm not ruling out Durant to the Wizards, but the league landscape can change so much in just two years. The only thing I'm confident about is that he'll go where he thinks he can contend for a championship. Shoe deals and proximity to home won't be major factors in his decision.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Anyone watching USA vs Turkey in FIBA worlds? Anthony Davis is turning into an absolute beast, it seems he can tip dunk just about any missed shot regardless of where he is on the floor. New Orleans may be the most intimidating team inside this year.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Bledsoe agrees to resign with the Suns and that about wraps up the offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix makes a big in-season trade with one of their PG's this year.

I thought it was interesting that Minnesota was apparently making a move for him. I wonder how/if they see Rubio factoring into their latest rebuild.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Bledsoe agrees to resign with the Suns and that about wraps up the offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix makes a big in-season trade with one of their PG's this year.

Yeah, it's a crowded backcourt with Dragic, Bledsoe, Thomas and the kid they drafted...Ennis or something like that? Keep an eye on the Pacers if they go into full tanking mode. If that happens David West could be an attractive short term rental for a team looking for a reliable veteran scorer, and if George Hill is shooting better he'd be a pricy but solid spot up guy in a drive and kick system.