NBA: *** Official 2014 NBA Playoffs Thread ***

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Depends on who it is. The Spurs are the only team I would feel comfortable betting against the Heat. Clippers and Thunder could, but I wouldn't be near as confident.
Spurs were only ones that had two complete good teams. What a bench.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Missed the point again. Just like every time it's brought up that MJ had a great team built around him because he couldn't lead his team to as many wins and his front office was competent.

Oh I get it...but all I heard was excuses, excuses, excuses. labron fans can keep making excuses, it doesn't matter. labron had to go to another team and form an allpro team to win a ring. I suspect had he stayed in Cleveland the team would have not only improved through the draft, but one of the best player in the world shouldn't have problems attracting talented players to come play with him.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
And-then-Chalmers-ask-can-we-be-the-big-four-Miami-Heat-Meme.jpg

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Missed the point again. Just like every time it's brought up that MJ had a great team built around him because he couldn't lead his team to as many wins and his front office was competent.

The real difference was the number of teams. 7 teams were added to the NBA since the Bulls acquired Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant in the 1987 draft. (And the pick used to trade for Scottie was acquired via trade) So even playoff teams could draft in the top 10.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Oh I get it...but all I heard was excuses, excuses, excuses. labron fans can keep making excuses, it doesn't matter. labron had to go to another team and form an allpro team to win a ring. I suspect had he stayed in Cleveland the team would have not only improved through the draft, but one of the best player in the world shouldn't have problems attracting talented players to come play with him.

Yeah, well someone has to be willing to sign them and GIlbert wasn't. It wasn't excuses. It was me saying LeBron was better at helping his team win early and that ended up hurting his chances of winning with the Cavs. Yeah, it would have been great if he could have gotten teamed up with about 4 other top 10 picks and another top 5 pick just through the draft. And I don't think you do get it mostly because you use those stupid little nicknames like Skip Bayless. You're like Skip Bayless.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
People getting all defensive about MJ's status as "best ever" is just proof that late 80's/90's Nike had the greatest marketing department of all time.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
The Spurs won by the biggest combined margin in Finals history. Total domination

Tim Duncan first player to be a starter on an NBA champion in three different decades. It's crazy to think he's a few missed free throws and a lucky Ray Allen 3 away from matching Jordan at 6-0 in NBA Finals. I wonder if he comes back to go for the sixth title

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Yeah, well someone has to be willing to sign them and GIlbert wasn't. It wasn't excuses. It was me saying LeBron was better at helping his team win early and that ended up hurting his chances of winning with the Cavs. Yeah, it would have been great if he could have gotten teamed up with about 4 other top 10 picks and another top 5 pick just through the draft. And I don't think you do get it mostly because you use those stupid little nicknames like Skip Bayless. You're like Skip Bayless.

LeBron lost...get over it.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
Is Lebron like Golfer Greg Norman, who someone described as having the heart the size of a 'grape'?

Please end the comparisons with Jordan. It's not even close. (only in athletic ability) Jordan's heart and will to win trumps Lebron every day of the year. Plus Jordan was a better defender, better leader, and would never allow any Bulls team in the 90's to get p#ss-pounded at home two times in a row.

Jordan intimidated nearly everyone with his court presence. Jordan was a renowned, legendary 'practice' player---'brought it' every day of his career. Never took a day off with practice

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
The Spurs won by the biggest combined margin in Finals history. Total domination

Tim Duncan first player to be a starter on an NBA champion in three different decades. It's crazy to think he's a few missed free throws and a lucky Ray Allen 3 away from matching Jordan at 6-0 in NBA Finals. I wonder if he comes back to go for the sixth title

If they had won it last year, who knows what would've happened in terms of player movement. If they had won last year, I doubt if they win again this year, because duncan probably retires.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
This series somewhat reminded me of the 2012 WCF between the Spurs and Thunder. Where one team just figures the other out in a way that they can't overcome. The Spurs won the first two games of that series and were 10-0 in the playoffs up until Game 3 in OKC. They led for four second half minutes in the next three games combined, as OKC went on to win four in a row. With the right matchup, small flaws become series changing deficiencies. Once Wade and Chalmers began struggling, Miami's lack of wing depth became a gaping flaw which a team as good as the Spurs easily exposed. The Spurs bounced back from that loss and came back even better in each of the next two years, if the big three stay together, we'll see if they can do the same.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'm very happy the Spurs won, but LeBron takes too much heat. He isn't Jordan, but he is a great player. The Heat, however, are not a great team.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
"Yeah, well someone has to be willing to sign them and GIlbert wasn't. It wasn't excuses. It was me saying LeBron was better at helping his team win early and that ended up hurting his chances of winning with the Cavs. Yeah, it would have been great if he could have gotten teamed up with about 4 other top 10 picks and another top 5 pick just through the draft."

LeBron has now been to four finals with talent superior to Jordan's first three championship teams, it's a debate if the supporting cast was as talented as MJ's second threepeat, this year it certainly wasn't equal to the 96-98 bulls, but there's zero doubt these Heat teams had as much or more overall talent than the first Bulls title teams. Horace Grant has become the most overrated player of all time by people wanting to contort arguments that there's a legit LeBron/MJ comparison to be had.

Let's pretend the Cleveland stuff didn't matter and just focus on the four chances he had with a comparable cast to the 91-92-93 Bulls teams. In the first one he had the largest statistical scoring decrease from regular season to finals in nba history, that's not me spinning, that's statistically the biggest choke ever in the finals. In the next two he played very well and won two titles, generally in the take charge way people expect of someone other continually bring into GOAT discussions. Then this year was a mixed bag, he certainly produced well statistically (although not at MJ title levels) but there seemed to be a leadership, drive, discipline and chemistry issues that the six Bull teams did not have…the bottom line is his team got blown out three times in a row including two at home.

It's simply time for the MJ comparisons to end for a while. When you look at PLAYOFF performances there's simply no player ever that compares to MJ, there's a gap. His typical ho-hum run of the mill average playoff game was 33 or 34 points. Nobody is close to that. He lead the entire playoffs in scoring 10 times in 13 playoff runs, led in steals twice. LBJ has led in scoring twice in 9 playoffs and not led the playoffs in any other key stat.

He's great, but the MJ comparison people now fall into 4 categories:
-Too young to remember MJ
-Heat/Lebron fanboys
-Contrarians (most common one on this board)
-Don't understand stats and haven't really looked at MJ's playoff stats (even if you never saw MJ play the playoff stats vs LeBron's and 6-0 in finals are enough)

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
"Yeah, well someone has to be willing to sign them and GIlbert wasn't. It wasn't excuses. It was me saying LeBron was better at helping his team win early and that ended up hurting his chances of winning with the Cavs. Yeah, it would have been great if he could have gotten teamed up with about 4 other top 10 picks and another top 5 pick just through the draft."

LeBron has now been to four finals with talent superior to Jordan's first three championship teams, it's a debate if the supporting cast was as talented as MJ's second threepeat, this year it certainly wasn't equal to the 96-98 bulls, but there's zero doubt these Heat teams had as much or more overall talent than the first Bulls title teams. Horace Grant has become the most overrated player of all time by people wanting to contort arguments that there's a legit LeBron/MJ comparison to be had.

Let's pretend the Cleveland stuff didn't matter and just focus on the four chances he had with a comparable cast to the 91-92-93 Bulls teams. In the first one he had the largest statistical scoring decrease from regular season to finals in nba history, that's not me spinning, that's statistically the biggest choke ever in the finals. In the next two he played very well and won two titles, generally in the take charge way people expect of someone other continually bring into GOAT discussions. Then this year was a mixed bag, he certainly produced well statistically (although not at MJ title levels) but there seemed to be a leadership, drive, discipline and chemistry issues that the six Bull teams did not have…the bottom line is his team got blown out three times in a row including two at home.

It's simply time for the MJ comparisons to end for a while. When you look at PLAYOFF performances there's simply no player ever that compares to MJ, there's a gap. His typical ho-hum run of the mill average playoff game was 33 or 34 points. Nobody is close to that. He lead the entire playoffs in scoring 10 times in 13 playoff runs, led in steals twice. LBJ has led in scoring twice in 9 playoffs and not led the playoffs in any other key stat.

He's great, but the MJ comparison people now fall into 3 categories:
-Too young to remember MJ
-Heat fans
-Contrarians
-Don't understand stats and haven't really looked at MJ's playoff stats (even if you never saw MJ play the playoff stats vs LeBron's and 6-0 in finals are enough)

You forgot the 4th category: People that get tired of all the people who come out the woodwork to chirp about Jordan every time he fails to win a championship.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You forgot the 4th category: People that get tired of all the people who come out the woodwork to chirp about Jordan every time he fails to win a championship.

If people didn't compare LeBron to him I wouldn't. It's a silly comparison at this point unless LeBron goes on a sick second run with the Heat or another team.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron