***Official 2015 Recruiting Thread***

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I sure hope Trey is correct. Antoine Albert is a guy I've hoped they could land for a year now. He would be a huge get for the secondary. If the staff can land both AA and Jomol Wiltz the juco CB that would be a secondary with very good depth. Albert is a starter IMO, possibly at the nickel. It wouldn't surprise me to see Quan Floyd moved to the nikel either. I think the staff will also bring in another 1-2 DL on top of already getting Leath and Tucker. Yes 1-2 more.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
This isn't new news, but it pertains to 2015. I didn't realize Mike Johnson was actually greyshirting this semester. I figured he would never end up here but he is in Ames and enrolled. Good boost to the secondary depth.

AWOL2000

Feb 13, 2008
Lawry Crossing, TX
Nerness picked up another offer this one from North Carolina. He's not so sleepery anymore. Offers from K-State, WVU, Louisville too. Glad we were in on him very early.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
On Johnson- I really think he's a sleeper. I think he redshirts in the end because there will be so many other options, but competing for that job opposite Tribune in 16 isn't ridiculous.

On the nickle spot-I hope the re-evaluate what they are doing there. If they are going to use these hybrids, use their skillset, don't just put a different talent in doing the same things. Jared Brackens wasn't a linebacker. He was a backfield missile. He wasn't used that way until late. Ferch is an undersized linebacker. If that's what you want there, move Knott over there and flip him and Floyd in and out based on team or situation. Like a lot of things in this world that are hybrid, that position just isn't ideal for that. Once in awhile you will find a guy who can do all of those things but not often. I like what they did with Benton for a year. He was basically just a third safety.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
On Johnson- I really think he's a sleeper. I think he redshirts in the end because there will be so many other options, but competing for that job opposite Tribune in 16 isn't ridiculous.

On the nickle spot-I hope the re-evaluate what they are doing there. If they are going to use these hybrids, use their skillset, don't just put a different talent in doing the same things. Jared Brackens wasn't a linebacker. He was a backfield missile. He wasn't used that way until late. Ferch is an undersized linebacker. If that's what you want there, move Knott over there and flip him and Floyd in and out based on team or situation. Like a lot of things in this world that are hybrid, that position just isn't ideal for that. Once in awhile you will find a guy who can do all of those things but not often. I like what they did with Benton for a year. He was basically just a third safety.

Completely agree. Especially on Brackens. We didn't use his skill set properly.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Small class and the staff is much more concerned with getting quality play at DL. Almost all the offers I know of right now are focused on DL guys.

Plus we were young at LB with everyone but Miller returning on the depth chart. Athletic talent hasn't turned into football talent yet.

This is what concerns me..depth and experience. I fully get it about Harris starting, but what if he blows a knee in fall camp? Who moves into Mike? Call me less than impressed with who we put out there after Miller went down, exhibit A where athletic talent does not equal football talent/instincts/leadership.
I guess the young guys I hear good things about Northrup (young no experience), Peters (love him but Achilles recovery...will it slow him?), Madison (young was recruited as DE, learning curve at LB?), Mills holds most promise, Knott is what he is, Webster moved to RB. I'd feel comfy with 1-2 juco especially at MLB and SAM but I guess Wally sees it different? Seemed like the weakest unit on the whole team this year.
What are you guys hearing about the youngster LBs in Ames?

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
I believe his scout profile also has USC and a couple other additions to the Rivals list.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This is what concerns me..depth and experience. I fully get it about Harris starting, but what if he blows a knee in fall camp? Who moves into Mike? Call me less than impressed with who we put out there after Miller went down, exhibit A where athletic talent does not equal football talent/instincts/leadership.
I guess the young guys I hear good things about Northrup (young no experience), Peters (love him but Achilles recovery...will it slow him?), Madison (young was recruited as DE, learning curve at LB?), Mills holds most promise, Knott is what he is, Webster moved to RB. I'd feel comfy with 1-2 juco especially at MLB and SAM but I guess Wally sees it different? Seemed like the weakest unit on the whole team this year.
What are you guys hearing about the youngster LBs in Ames?
Weakest part was rush defense since we were worst in the nation in a passing league.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Those 2 offers may no longer be committable due to positional needs ring filled. Not positive on that though. Still would be a great pick up.
That would make sense. I found some articles that mentioned some of these offers were back in 2013. It's possible they were contingent offers, or he just was too slow to commit and others filled those position slots at those schools before he made a decision, and now he is looking for new opportunities. He could be a great get for us.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Weakest part was rush defense since we were worst in the nation in a passing league.

What bothered me most is that it took all spring and fall camp and into the season to determine that J Miller was the best choice for MLB. Had he played the Mike all spring and fall he could have been even better.
Perhaps based on size and knowledge, I hope they work Mills out at OLB and Mike just in case Harris gets hurt. I'd rather see Mills in there than the other options. We seem to have more flexibility at Sam and Will than Mike. If Harris takes a dive we could be in serious trouble on D.
Maybe that's why CPR hasn't signed another juco LB? Big gamble.

Last edited:

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Where did that other JuCo DB we were recruiting go? I can't remember his name right now but he was considering us and Arizona along with others.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron