MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Really curious to see who they target in free agency and what kind of trades they may be able to pull off. Traded a lot of top prospects away the past 2 years so any big trades may involve a current player on the 25 man roster at this point.

I don't know if Arietta and Davis will price themselves out of the Cubs budget, early in the season it was looking like Jake would have to take less than the had hoped for then he turned it back on in the 2nd half and probably will cash in on a big deal now. Davis stayed healthy and had a great season, closers always get overpaid coming off of good seasons though. Problem is there is no good internal option to use at closer because I sure don't trust Edwards, Rondon, or Strop to get 3 outs consistently in the 9th right now. Getting at least 1 good starting pitcher is a must as well as a guy or 2 that can be solid in middle relief.

I still think they need to do something to acquire a top of the order bat that can hit around .300 to help even out the free swingers they have on this roster. How and who that may be I don't know but I don't think they can just stick with the status quo with the every day lineup and expect the offensive problems to just go away. Don't need to gut the roster but OF would seem to be the place that has room to acquire another bat for the lineup.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
PItching, Hitting, & 3rd Base Coach all gone:

The Cubs cleaned house on their coaching staff on Thursday as hitting coach John Mallee was let go as was third base coach Gary Jones. Pitching coach Chris Bosio was dismissed over the weekend. Chili Davis is the new hitting coach while Andy Haines was promoted to asst hitting coach replacing Eric Hinske who left for the Angels. Brian Butterfield is the new third base coach while Jim Hickey is still the favorite to take over the still vacant pitching coach position.

i
Jesse Rogers, ESPN Staff Writer

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Chilli Davis is an excellent hire. Im glad Mallee is gone...I think he looked much better because of the players we have on the team, and their success had less to do with him. Look at Hayward; its an absolute joke that he has preformed the way he has the last two season. Hopefully Davis can work to fix that.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Chilli Davis is an excellent hire. Im glad Mallee is gone...I think he looked much better because of the players we have on the team, and their success had less to do with him. Look at Hayward; its an absolute joke that he has preformed the way he has the last two season. Hopefully Davis can work to fix that.

Not that I'm against the hire, but there's probably a lot of Red Sox fans ready to move on from Davis too. They had some serious regression, almost across the board from their hitters this past year.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I'm sorry, didn't Maddon say that he was happy with the coaching staff he had and planned on bringing everyone back?

I'm glad to see the hitting coach go, it's just strange at how big of a lie that has turned out to be.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm sorry, didn't Maddon say that he was happy with the coaching staff he had and planned on bringing everyone back?

I'm glad to see the hitting coach go, it's just strange at how big of a lie that has turned out to be.

My guess is this was not Maddon's call.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

No, Theo said that. It seems like it's Maddon making these changes.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Maddon said it as well.

The Maddon quote that you're probably referring to was during the NLCS, no one is going to come out and say they plan on firing coaches during the season. Either way, with who they've hired as pitching coach it certainly looks like it's Maddon making the call here.