MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Rosenthal alluding to Maddon not coming back and said something I agree with totally.

From Rosenthal: ”I’m not saying that firing him after last season would have been justified. Of course it would not have been. What I’m saying is that Epstein seemed to prefer a different style of leadership than Maddon offers.”

Theo and Maddon did not have correlating philosophies. We can stop acting like Theo or Maddon are to blame and just agree each share 50% of the blame. Need the FO and management to be in the same page. One set brings in the players, the other develops and works with the players every day.

So if Maddon goes, I’m comfortable knowing Theo can get a guy he wants. If Maddon goes, I hope we see a serious shift in FO.

Reactions: psychlone99

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Rosenthal alluding to Maddon not coming back and said something I agree with totally.

From Rosenthal: ”I’m not saying that firing him after last season would have been justified. Of course it would not have been. What I’m saying is that Epstein seemed to prefer a different style of leadership than Maddon offers.”

Theo and Maddon did not have correlating philosophies. We can stop acting like Theo or Maddon are to blame and just agree each share 50% of the blame. Need the FO and management to be in the same page. One set brings in the players, the other develops and works with the players every day.

So if Maddon goes, I’m comfortable knowing Theo can get a guy he wants. If Maddon goes, I hope we see a serious shift in FO.

Surprisingly agree with almost everything except for this part. Theo hired Maddon, he knew exactly what he was getting when he hired him. And he hired him for a job that was not open until Maddon became available. If he wanted a manager to just run out his lineup cards, he should have kept Renteria. Apparently the type of manager that Theo wanted changed, and he tried to make Maddon fit into that over the last two years.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Surprisingly agree with almost everything except for this part. Theo hired Maddon, he knew exactly what he was getting when he hired him. And he hired him for a job that was not open until Maddon became available. If he wanted a manager to just run out his lineup cards, he should have kept Renteria. Apparently the type of manager that Theo wanted changed, and he tried to make Maddon fit into that over the last two years.

Maddon was notorious for maximizing the best out of young and unproven players. He did that perfectly, so I would say Theo gets an A+ for the hire - Maddon did was Maddon does.

What was unknown was how Maddon manages proven players. Guys who have nothing to prove, guys who’ve been to the top. If Theo hired Maddon to coach a bunch of All-Star veterans, it would’ve been a bad hire.

If Theo hired Maddon for the FUTURE of the Cubs (not 2015/16/17) he would receive an F.

Hiring Maddon was a great move by Theo because it ended the streak. It was a risky move in that no one knew who Maddon was with a team full of vets.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
All the old clips they are playing from past WGN broadcasts tonight is just sad to watch the end to an era of watching Cubs games on WGN when I was younger.

Also how about Almora robbing Molina of a HR tonight? He is so damn good in CF with his glove that I wish his bat would be adequate enough to make it harder to keep him out of the lineup.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyPunch

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Haven’t watched any Cubs for about a week. I get updates on scoring plays. Seems like Happ has been pretty good these last few games.

• Agree
Reactions: HoustonClone

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Haven’t watched any Cubs for about a week. I get updates on scoring plays. Seems like Happ has been pretty good these last few games.

Maddon at his best with guys who need to prove themselves. Tonight’s roster was mostly guys trying to show why they should be a part of the organization next year and they destroyed a team trying to win first place

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Maddon and Theo meeting after tonight’s game to discuss Maddons future.

Soooo this is potentially his last game unless he plans on coaching tomorrow. He (Maddon) already has plans in Florida on Monday.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
It's going to be an interesting offseason. Assuming that Joe is out (I, like everyone else, believe he will be, although I go back and forth over whether I like that), I lean toward promoting Loretta, primarily for the sake of the coaching staff. This team has already seen 3 hitting coaches and 3 pitching coaches in 3 years, and I don't think another total overhaul of the staff is going to help matters (it may have been part of the problem in the first place). Plus, I do like Hottovy. I liked him in his previous role a lot, too, but it's not like the Cubs can send him back to that job. So promote Loretta and, if he wants it, make David Ross the bench coach. I'm not wild about him as a manager right now because of his total lack in coaching experience of any kind, but I think he could do well in a bench coach role (and he could work closely with Contreras to improve defensively).

As far as guys who may get traded, there aren't many guys who I think will be off the table. Among the position players, I think Rizzo, Javy and Schwarber are the only position players I'm 100% certain the Cubs won't try to move. I doubt they get the kind of offer it would take to spur them to trade Bryant, but Rizzo and Javy are virtually untouchable, IMO. As for Schwarber, for all the faith the FO put into his potential, it would be extremely odd for them to trade him just as that faith is being rewarded.

Guys who I see being traded: Almora, one of Contreras and Caratini (kind of think it could wind up being Willy), Happ (his recent surge can't hurt his trade value). I think they'll be willing to eat a sizable chunk of Heyward's remaining salary in order to trade him, but I'm skeptical that they'll find a deal. I think they might look for a similar deal for Chatwood, given how well Mills has pitched (providing an alternative) and how well Chatwood has pitched (making him a possibly tradable piece).

Among the free agents to be, re-signing Castellanos needs to be the top priority. Beyond that, I'd like to see them try to keep Kintzler if they can get him on a deal a little cheaper than his current one; Strop on a low-cost, incentive-laden deal (I really think he still has gas in the tank and just needs an offseason to get fully healthy again). Same goes for Zobrist if he doesn't plan to retire. Let Hamels and Cishek walk. Maybe keep Lucroy depending on whether or not one of the younger catchers gets moved.

As far as other free agents, it doesn't sound like the budget will be expanded this offseason, so even with the money coming off the books from Morrow, Zobrist, and Hamels, I'd be shocked if they make a serious run at Gerrit Cole or Anthony Rendon. I think Howie Kendrick would be an affordable option who could provide some real value offensively with some positional flexibility (potentially freeing up Nico to spend more time in CF, if needed). That said, one really wild idea would be if the Cubs decided they want to go all in to get Cole or Strasburg, they could free up a little extra money by declining Quintana's $11.5M option. I don't think that'll happen, but in terms of getting creative to work with the current budget, that's one way to get it done.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Maddon and Theo meeting after tonight’s game to discuss Maddons future.

Soooo this is potentially his last game unless he plans on coaching tomorrow. He (Maddon) already has plans in Florida on Monday.

I would think that might be why they're doing it tonight, and he'll still be in the dugout tomorrow and head straight to Florida after tomorrow's game is over.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
If the Cubs make Mark Loretta the manager that will indicate the front office is going to blow the whole thing up and rebuild from scratch, IMO.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm sure I'm one of the few, but I hope the Cubs lay down today just to screw the Brewers out of the Division. Like if the game is tied in the bottom of the ninth, and they intentionally walked in the winning run, I'd be thrilled!

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
It’s fascinating to me that these misfits are even playing with the Cardinals. As much as I love Joe I almost feel like it’s further evidence as to why he should go...these nobodies are dominating while our star-filled lineup was swept a week ago

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It’s fascinating to me that these misfits are even playing with the Cardinals. As much as I love Joe I almost feel like it’s further evidence as to why he should go...these nobodies are dominating while our star-filled lineup was swept a week ago

Nah. Talent wins out over 162. How often have we seen nobodies shine in their call up and flame out after two weeks? Call it the Happ effect if you want.