***Official 2021 NCAA Tournament Thread***

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That isn't covering up the murder. He was trying to cover up the money trail that led back to him.

He's talking about a murdered person and focused on making sure people think he's a drug dealer. It wasn't a good thing. Not as broad as the more recent systemic mass rape scandal but not a good thing.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
did KU offer Jerrells, Dugat, Bruce, Carter, Rogers or Dunn?
Dunn committed as a junior so he didn't have as many offers as a typical recruit.

Is Dunn taller than 6 feet? Yes. Would other programs have happily offered and signed him once he rose to a Top 40 recruit had he already not been committed? Yes.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
He's talking about a murdered person and focused on making sure people think he's a drug dealer. It wasn't a good thing. Not as broad as the more recent systemic mass rape scandal but not a good thing.
No one is saying it is a good thing. But it is important to actually get the facts correct.

Reactions: JusHappy2BeHere

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
It’s crazy that Scott Drew doesn’t even make 3 million a year. He should be making twice that.
It's crazy that college coaches make as much as they do. All of the other overpaid coaches should come down to Drew's level. I know free market and I don't begrudge the coaches at all. It is just insane that colleges agreed and jacked the salaries so high. When Iowa State hired Johnny Orr away from Michigan in 1980, we made him the highest college coach salary in the U.S. at $45,000. Even at a 10% increase EVERY SINGLE YEAR that would only make highest paid coach today at $2.24 million.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The NC wasn't but they turned their program from a doormat into a competitive one almost immediately after it helped with a murder coverup. Then a decade later it turns out coaches, even women's coaches, look the other way on mass rape.

There's a lot to overlook, enough that there's no way everything is known.

Drew didn't have a winning season until year 5. That isn't "almost immediately". His win totals for the first 5 years were 8,9,4,15,21.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah and Acylum

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
It's crazy that college coaches make as much as they do. All of the other overpaid coaches should come down to Drew's level. I know free market and I don't begrudge the coaches at all. It is just insane that colleges agreed and jacked the salaries so high. When Iowa State hired Johnny Orr away from Michigan in 1980, we made him the highest college coach salary in the U.S. at $45,000. Even at a 10% increase EVERY SINGLE YEAR that would only make highest paid coach today at $2.24 million.
Playing with the numbers, it appears that the highest paid coach level has increased about 13% per year. But again, that would be EVERY SINGLE YEAR, not a one off event.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
The best of the best in many professions that generate billions of dollars in revenue make millions of dollars.

The tourney in 1980 had only a handful of games that were on TV. Some of the games in the 1980 tourney were still shown on tape delay so it's no surprise that salaries back then were small. The revenue was small. Make more money, get paid more money.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
So if you're Scott Drew, you almost have to try and throw your hat in the ring for the Carolina job, don't you?

There's nothing to accomplish anymore at Baylor, and it's the blue chip job nobody can blame you for taking, sitting there, open at the moment. Recruiting to Waco cannot be easy, is his system do-able with top 50 kids?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
So if you're Scott Drew, you almost have to try and throw your hat in the ring for the Carolina job, don't you?

There's nothing to accomplish anymore at Baylor, and it's the blue chip job nobody can blame you for taking, sitting there, open at the moment. Recruiting to Waco cannot be easy, is his system do-able with top 50 kids?
Already filled yesterday.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Ah. I hadn't seen that. Keeping it in the family must be a very strong impulse there.
tenor.gif

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
[

Baylor didn't have a problem getting elite athletes in football, and this board is suddenly assuring me it's the cleanest most saintly non criminal entity in world history.

Even if we ignore that the university has been friendly to the idea of being a massive criminal syndicate, they can win without leaving the state for talent and Baylor won't fire him for an NIT season.

I'd stay unless they are stupid and offer no pay increase.