MLB: ***Official 2022 STL Cardinals Season Thread***

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
So what do you guys think, are the Cardinals going to make a trade for Soto before the deadline? Personally I’d rather they go after a starting pitcher but I guess we’ll see what happens.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Read today that the ownership group is in Washington for the weekend. They rarely go on the road with the team, so maybe there is something behind the rumors.

The only way I would trade the farm for Sosa is the Cards get a 48 hour window to make a deal with him, if the deal is made, then trade the farm, if not, then walk away and keep the young, cost controlled players.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
So what do you guys think, are the Cardinals going to make a trade for Soto before the deadline? Personally I’d rather they go after a starting pitcher but I guess we’ll see what happens.
I wouldn't think so, but who knows?.Really, I'm not sure what he would add to the team other than media drool. Sure, he's a great player but we have outfielders. I agree with you we need pitching.

What does it mean that the DeJong's now on the taxi squad?

• Agree
Reactions: StateThrowdown

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I wouldn't think so, but who knows?.Really, I'm not sure what he would add to the team other than media drool. Sure, he's a great player but we have outfielders. I agree with you we need pitching.

The MLB taxi squad is up to 5 players, one has to be a catcher, that can be taken on road trips, it gives a team an extra player, instead of the usual 25.

• Informative
Reactions: matclone

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011

A lot of rumors have Gorman as part of the package for Soto so it means Edmond moves back to second and DeJong to SS. Or it means Sosa is getting traded. Or it means nothing.

• Informative

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I really want Soto, but I don’t want to give up Gorman or Walker. We also need pitching a lot more than we need a bat.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
No way in Hell will the Cards deal all those players and pay Soto 400 million or whatever he is asking for.

Reactions: Aclone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Add Wynn to those two that I wouldn’t want to give up. Other than that clean out the farm system for Soto.
To get Soto you are going to have to give up one of Wynn or Walker, maybe both. I doubt you can make a deal with Gorman, Carlson, and maybe Wynn. Throw in Walker into the deal, and the Nats would do it, but that is a ton of talent that you control for the next 5 or 6 years to only get Sosa for the rest of this year and the next two.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
To get Soto you are going to have to give up one of Wynn or Walker, maybe both. I doubt you can make a deal with Gorman, Carlson, and maybe Wynn. Throw in Walker into the deal, and the Nats would do it, but that is a ton of talent that you control for the next 5 or 6 years to only get Sosa for the rest of this year and the next two.
Soto has 2-1/2 years left on his contract for whoever ends up getting him which isn’t bad but I’d argue as much fun as it would be to watch him mash dingers for the next couple seasons a starting pitcher is a way bigger need.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
No way in Hell will the Cards deal all those players and pay Soto 400 million or whatever he is asking for.
They wouldn’t. Soto has 2 more years of control before hitting free agency. The Cards would be looking to win it all within the next 3 postseasons - that is the only reason they would make the deal, as they would likely not re - sign him in free agency.

Personally, I think they go hard for Montas and one of the other SP, while making smaller deals for some RP and a catcher.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Nor should they. The recent injures aside, the cardinals core outfield is solid.

St. Louis desperately needs pitching.
Mikolas, Waino & then fill in the blank rotation does not indicate that this team will make any noise beyond a wildcard appearance. Matz injury was a key loss along with thinking Fleharty would rebound. They need 2 starters but 1 at minimum, the relievers are fine as long as they can get 4 starters who can go 6+. Arenado & Goldy & whoever is available can provide enough scoring with a solid pitching staff. Pujols has performed better than I expected.

• Agree

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
What has everybody thought of Oli’s performance as manager this year so far? I don’t think he’s been too bad but when discussing managers a lot of people have much better opinions than I do so I’m curious.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
What has everybody thought of Oli’s performance as manager this year so far? I don’t think he’s been too bad but when discussing managers a lot of people have much better opinions than I do so I’m curious.

I do like how he tries to play the hot hand. Last couple managers always played the vets no matter how much they were struggling

• Agree

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I will miss Sosa and his energy, but I figured he might be one of the pieces in a trade.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I will miss Sosa and his energy, but I figured he might be one of the pieces in a trade.

Sosa was hitting .189, and had plenty of chances to take over the SS position after DeJong was sent down to Memphis. How many times did he come up with men on the bases and only needed a fly ball to score a run and he would K?

Glad he is gone.

• Disagree

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Sosa was hitting .189, and had plenty of chances to take over the SS position after DeJong was sent down to Memphis. How many times did he come up with men on the bases and only needed a fly ball to score a run and he would K?

Glad he is gone.

Agreed