MLB: ***Official 2022 STL Cardinals Season Thread***

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Cards have a lot of good young players, the question will be "who do you keep, and who do you bundle in a trade?"

I was thinking about this too. When everyone is healthy looking ahead for 2023 (catcher excluded)... the Cards would have O'Neill, Bader, Carlson, Yepez, Donovan, Arenado, Edman, Gorman, and Goldschmidt, which is 9 guys for 8 roles. The bench could be Sosa, Nootbaar, whoever is left out above, and a backup catcher. I am guessing that Edman will become a primary shortstop to allow Gorman to play 2B either every day or at least against RHP starters.

This is assuming O'Neill gets straightened out, and it also gives up on DeJong. Hopefully Paul figures it out and then it would really be a situation where STL would probably deal a position player either for prospects or for pitching.

And I am ignoring the top prospects in the organization who will be competing for time in St Louis next year if not this year - guys like Jordan Walker, Alec Burleson, Masyn Winn. So maybe there is a glut of position players and on the other hand the bullpen or rotation could use help with the right trade.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You also have the DH role to fill, which could be filled by one of the nine players you listed. Albert will hang it up after this season, Dickerson should be the one player released and keep Nootbaar up for his speed and ability to play center when everyone gets healthy.

DeJong looks like a lost cause down at Memphis 5/50 in his last 15 games, .100 average 2 walks and 15 K's. Not sure he is going to be any help in the future.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
You also have the DH role to fill, which could be filled by one of the nine players you listed. Albert will hang it up after this season, Dickerson should be the one player released and keep Nootbaar up for his speed and ability to play center when everyone gets healthy.

DeJong looks like a lost cause down at Memphis 5/50 in his last 15 games, .100 average 2 walks and 15 K's. Not sure he is going to be any help in the future.

DH was factored into the 9 players for 8 roles since I excluded catcher (just assume 2 roster slots will be used for catchers).

I agree that the Cards should/would move on from Dickerson and sadly it seems like DeJong is probably done and might end up part of a trade package just to see if he can figure it out with a change of scenery (and with STL picking up the tab on his contract).

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Fun game tonight. How about that Donovan kid?

Cardinals get a day off tomorrow and then are in Tampa. Could be in first place as early as Tuesday night with a win over the Rays and a Brewers loss to the Phillies.

Not to be too much of a downer but Yadi looks worse and worse at the plate every day and is now 4 for his last 32. Didn't seem to have competitive ABs tonight to my untrained eye. But Waino continues to be doing some of the best pitching of his career at age 40, and Pujols remains a solid bench/LHP platoon option.
Yadi's in a slump but I don't make too much of it. He and Pujols are both barely north of the Medoza line.

In extra innings last night, a pitch got away from Cabrera--would've hit the Cub in the head if he hadn't bailed in time. Yadi made an amazing catch of that pitch--preventing it going to the backstop with Cub runner on third.

Announcers mentioned last night that teams still do not run on Yadi (although I take ESPN baseball announcer claims with a grain of salt).

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I have thought for years that MLB needs a rule that allows a club to cut one player from their roster each year, and pay him out for half of what they owe the player left on the contract. The player then becomes a free agent, and the team that cut him may not bid on the player. The union will never go for it, but it would be very helpful for teams to get rid of a contract like DeJongs, and then use the half they save to go after someone that can help the team.

I still remember when FA came into being, the players were all saying it was not about the money, but the freedom to play where they wanted to play. But in all reality it was all about the money.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Dejong is just playing to have some value as a trade piece. He won’t make it back to MLB unless we have injuries. And with O’Neill and Carlson coming back. Dickerson might be released

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

I expect Burleson to be a factor at DH. Guy looks like he’s going to be a great hitter, but he’s not a sterling defender anywhere—only passable in RF.

Though perhaps that qualifies as “trade bait”.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Trying to catch Waino pitch. Flying in from Wyoming. Is his next start going to be Friday or Sat?

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I checked stl Cardinals official website (news>probable pitchers) and it has TBD for both dates so still up in the air I guess.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Cards win tonight plus a Phillies win (over Milwaukee) would put STL back in first. I know it doesn’t really matter in June but it would be a good sign of a team that slipped and had some big questions, but seems to have gotten on the right track.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron