MLB: ***Official 2023 St. Louis Cardinals Thread ***

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I didn’t see one yet, so here we go. Early Spring Training.

Read the news about Tyler O’Neill working in center field with interest. Sure, it helps the team, but I think he’s really adding to his eventual FA value. And the Cards like it because he’s adding to his nearer future trade value.

After all, whenever Jordan Walker is ready (sooner or later), of O’Neill, Nootbaar and Carlson, who else would be the first to go? All else being equal.

I’m not a huge fan of the current likely reserve OF’s. None of Yepez, Burleson or Gomez are especially good defenders, and seem like better fits at DH.

I like the early news that Jack Flaherty looks back to 100%.

Apparently Gorman completely retooled his swing. Speaking of DH…

That’s all I’ve got for now.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Still surprised they didn't go after Chafin in FA. Our lefties in the bullpen are currently Zack Thompson and Genesis Cabrera. Some pretty large variances in potential outcomes there....

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Last season showed that Yepez is a big liability in the OF. Maybe he can play 1B. But he can hit.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
If Jordan Walker is with the big club before September then something went really wrong. The kid looks like he's going to be great, but lets see him in AAA this year. Mason Wynn falls into that category too. I'm excited for some of the guys who are playing AAA this year but don't rush it.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If Jordan Walker is with the big club before September then something went really wrong. The kid looks like he's going to be great, but lets see him in AAA this year. Mason Wynn falls into that category too. I'm excited for some of the guys who are playing AAA this year but don't rush it.
Or, something is really right.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

Bring him up day 1. Put him at DH. Trade anyone else for pitching help. Profit

• Disagree
Reactions: Aclone

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Bring him up day 1. Put him at DH. Trade anyone else for pitching help. Profit
DH would be the only reason you bring him up but there's a big difference between hitting AA pitching and hitting in the show. I think the kid is going to be great eventually but he's not going to push Arenado for time at 3B and he's got half a season of outfield experience so he's a bit of a defensive liability out there until proven otherwise. As cool as it was to see him send that ball into orbit this weekend lets pump the brakes I think he needs to spend most of the year in AAA.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: Aclone and matclone

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
DH would be the only reason you bring him up but there's a big difference between hitting AA pitching and hitting in the show. I think the kid is going to be great eventually but he's not going to push Arenado for time at 3B and he's got half a season of outfield experience so he's a bit of a defensive liability out there until proven otherwise. As cool as it was to see him send that ball into orbit this weekend lets pump the brakes I think he needs to spend most of the year in AAA.

Wasn’t that big-league pitcher Johnny Cueto in the clip?

(I know, I know, one AB, it’s spring training, you’re right, I’m just giving you a hard time)

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I strongly suspect O'Neill and/or Carlson will be traded by the deadline for pitching. My guess is that they didn't do that over the winter as they want to make sure one or more of the minor league options are ready to go.

I will say that I am pretty disappointed that Contreras was the only move of the offseason. This team needs another Ace, and I fear pitching may be what holds this team back in 2023. Arenado not opting out should have provided any incentive needed to invest in another top line pitcher. He essentially saved them the equivalent of one by not opting out.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
He’s reputed to have Pujols level talent—who had a grand total of 14 AB in AAA in his single full season in the minors after being a JC 3B.

It’s clear they’re pushing him to be ready at the start of the season. And it won’t be at DH.

• Love
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
If Walker is in the OF and forces a trade of O’Neill or Carlson, I’d keep Carlson. O’Neill has legit talent but he spends too much time in the weight room to get buff which tends to make him injury prone. Has he played longer than a 3 month stretch MLB?

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
If Walker is in the OF and forces a trade of O’Neill or Carlson, I’d keep Carlson. O’Neill has legit talent but he spends too much time in the weight room to get buff which tends to make him injury prone. Has he played longer than a 3 month stretch MLB?
He played 138 games in 2021, and hit 34 HRs.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Carlson is only 24, while O'Neil is 27 and has been injured all but one season for the Redbirds, if you have to move one, then you trade O'Neil.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
He reportedly changed his training regimen this off-season to avoid that. We’ll see how it works.

I’d guess they rotate the four OF through those spots and DH until they establish themselves and maximize trade value.

That’s probably bad news for Yepez, Gomez and Burleson—whom I could see getting traded a lot sooner.

With Gorman reportedly having also done some major changes this off-season, I could see them letting DeJong (who has also revamped his swing) prove himself early in the season to set up a trade down the line as well.

I’m not worried about SP with Flaherty apparently back in the groove, but I think it would be nice to pick up some prospects to flesh out a top heavy system.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Nice problem to have, with all the outfield depth, but to me its seems that neither Gomez nor Burleson has a long-term future with St. Louis. The way Walker is hitting, they almost have to keep him, with O'Neil in center and Carlson or Noot in right. Yepez will get a lot of ABs as the DH along with Carlson.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron