***Official 2023 Women's World Cup Thread***

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
People criticize individuals all the time even if they were great before.

She objectively looked terrible and deserves all the criticism she's going to get for it along with the rest of this piss poor performance.

You don't get a golden shield of anti criticism because you were successful before.

She sucked this tournament and was a complete embarrassment to her legacy and the USWNT

Sorry to break it to you... this won't harm her legacy one single bit. That's just a stupid comment.

Your hatred for her is really something. Glad she lives rent free in your head.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
If she was lobbying to play, then I agree you better perform if you get minutes... however... that's a really weak coach to succumb to those demands. You could see from the minutes she has gotten, she's nowhere near the same player she used to be. She should not have been put in these games... but ultimately that's on the coach.

With that said... she has done a TON for the USWNT... and seen tons of success along the way. She deserves some respect for all that IMO. Many young women and girls look up to her for how she has fought for women in this country. She's accomplished a lot.

Giving her respect for what she HAS done is different than saying that she was very bad in this WC. This isn’t the place to go off on your own terms. Understand your limitations, no matter how bruising it is for your ego, and let other more capable players step in.

Honestly, if she was a good teammate she would have made her retirement announcement after this tournament. That was a total “look at me” moment less than 2 weeks before the start of the WC. Play out the tournament and retire then. She gives the appearance that she thinks she is bigger than the game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Giving her respect for what she HAS done is different than saying that she was very bad in this WC. This isn’t the place to go off on your own terms. Understand your limitations, no matter how bruising it is for your ego, and let other more capable players step in.

Honestly, if she was a good teammate she would have made her retirement announcement after this tournament. That was a total “look at me” moment less than 2 weeks before the start of the WC. Play out the tournament and retire then. She gives the appearance that she thinks she is bigger than the game.

Yep, you're right.... we were eliminated in the round of 16 this year because of Rapinoe. How clueless. She hardly played. Nobody played that well... and we were horribly coached... but it's all on Rapinoe. Got it.

Why can't people just admit they hate her personally? It's pretty obvious.

• Dislike
  • Dumb
Reactions: nfrine and ScottyP

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sorry to break it to you... this won't harm her legacy one single bit. That's just a stupid comment.

Your hatred for her is really something. Glad she lives rent free in your head.
Hatred? Bro you're up in arms over saying she played terrible. Take off your rose tinted glasses for a second. I'm not criticizing her for last 200+ appearances for the USWNT. I'm criticizing her for this tournament and this match

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Yep, you're right.... we were eliminated in the round of 16 this year because of Rapinoe. How clueless. She hardly played. Nobody played that well... and we were horribly coached... but it's all on Rapinoe. Got it.

I never said that, but keep making up scenarios. Your head is so far up her ass you can’t even admit she sucked and shouldn’t have been playing in this tournament.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
If she was lobbying to play, then I agree you better perform if you get minutes... however... that's a really weak coach to succumb to those demands. You could see from the minutes she has gotten, she's nowhere near the same player she used to be. She should not have been put in these games... but ultimately that's on the coach.

With that said... she has done a TON for the USWNT... and seen tons of success along the way. She deserves some respect for all that IMO. Many young women and girls look up to her for how she has fought for women in this country. She's accomplished a lot.
Hope she sees this bro

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hatred? Bro you're up in arms over saying she played terrible. Take off your rose tinted glasses for a second. I'm not criticizing her for last 200+ appearances for the USWNT. I'm criticizing her for this tournament and this match

Nobody else played terrible? Like the ones that were actually playing 90% of the time? Why only mention her?

Is Tom Brady's legacy destroyed by his last season too? And no, I'm not comparing the two... although Rapinoe did win a lot of titles.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I never said that, but keep making up scenarios. Your head is so far up her ass you can’t even admit she sucked and shouldn’t have been playing in this tournament.

I said she didn't play very well, is nowhere near as good of a player as she used to be... and it's entirely on the coach that she was playing when she shouldn't have been.

But this entire team was underwhelming in every way.... not one single individual. That's dumb... and it's just hating on someone in particular.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Nobody else played terrible? Like the ones that were actually playing 90% of the time? Why only mention her?

Is Tom Brady's legacy destroyed by his last season too? And no, I'm not comparing the two... although Rapinoe did win a lot of titles.
You got up in arms over two posts, one of which was just an update, and started this whole thing. YOU only mentioned her bro lol

• Disagree
Reactions: clonedude

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Big Rapinoe fan for what she has done for the sport, but the media kept on trying to push her politics (either for or against) because thats what the media does. I am personally looking forward to a world where maybe that is toned down a smidge sans Megan, but also recognize that without it you cant feed the 24/7 monster so it will happen again.

That said we just kinda got beat. Nothing political about that. Look back at our wins and you'll see people playing poorly during them as well. The world has also been catching up to the US on the womens side for the past few years.

The unspoken tension on this thread has a political tinge in it and that is disappointing because politics isn't everything folks. People can agree or disagree about what happened but the back and forth because a few of you live a life where political disagreements are your identity is annoying.

Not all criticism is unwarranted just because of some non sport related activity just like not all praise is unwarranted just because of some non sport related activity. Put the Red and Blue goggles away for a year and you will be less stressed.

Back to the sport please.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
End of an era for a one of the great generations of US women's soccer, too bad it ended like this but not very many get that story book ending.

• Winner

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Big Rapinoe fan for what she has done for the sport, but the media kept on trying to push her politics (either for or against) because thats what the media does. I am personally looking forward to a world where maybe that is toned down a smidge sans Megan, but also recognize that without it you cant feed the 24/7 monster so it will happen again.

That said we just kinda got beat. Nothing political about that. Look back at our wins and you'll see people playing poorly during them as well. The world has also been catching up to the US on the womens side for the past few years.

The unspoken tension on this thread has a political tinge in it and that is disappointing because politics isn't everything folks. People can agree or disagree about what happened but the back and forth because a few of you live a life where political disagreements are your identity is annoying.

Not all criticism is unwarranted just because of some non sport related activity just like not all praise is unwarranted just because of some non sport related activity. Put the Red and Blue goggles away for a year and you will be less stressed.

Back to the sport please.
Nothing political about one of the sport's most prolific athletes shitting the bed in a big moment

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Multiple factors played into the early exit. The coaching wasn’t good and the sport has expanded globally. To me, the coaching strategy seemed to be questionable at best.

• Agree

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Nothing political about one of the sport's most prolific athletes shitting the bed in a big moment

Yeah…. kinda like LeBron….. and many others. It happens.

I’d tend to blame this team’s performance more on the ones who actually played…. but I know that’s crazy talk! Let’s all blame the one that never plays anymore.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Where is this hatred you’ve repeatedly referenced? Rapinoe got the stage she desired, seized the lead role and didn’t deliver - people are unhappy but nobody has said anything rising to the level of hate?

Lastly, plenty of the women stepped up and played very well for Team USA this morning, including but not necessarily limited to:
Alyssa Naeher
Andi Sullivan
Lindsey Horan
Julie Ertz
Emily Sonnett and Emily Fox

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
With coach Pia Sundhage, it would have been a completely different WWC. Not that they would have won, but team play would have been more cohesive. My $.02 worth.

While that isn’t an incorrect statement, she hasn’t been the US coach in over 10 years. They won 2 world cups since she left her and never won one with her as the coach.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Other countries have put more resources into women's soccer in the past 8 years. Better coaching, faster and more physical players. Also, the level of defending has gotten significantly better. I've noticed that a lot of teams got very physical with us early on, and it seemed to throw off our offense.

We can't waltz in and expect to out-talent our way to a win. We're still right at the top of the sport, but other countries are bringing complete talented teams instead of teams with a couple stars and noticeable weak spots.

We just need to get better in a few areas. It'll be hard to move past some big names that we've been familiar with for the past 10-12 years that have done so much, but they aren't the same dominating players they once were. Young talent needs to step up.

• Winner
Reactions: cyguy9320