***Official 2024-25 College Football (non-ISU) Thread***

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Is it really breaking news that college coaches want to be in the NFL? More money, more prestige, better caliber of players, it’s kinda a no brainer and coaches jumping for the NFL when offered is nothing new.
Yeah, it feels like the anti-NIL crowd who said it would ruin college football has now moved onto this as the talking point of how bad of shape the sport is in.

When in reality it’s the CFP, the SEC, and the Big 10 running it to the ground.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Some interesting background from Pate on CFP expansion which includes conference expansion based upon folks he's been talking to. Sounds like B1G and SEC are thinking about expanding and want to include more teams, but they don't want to hurt the regular season and conference championship games. So 4 divisions per conference with 20 teams or so with a conference semi-final and conference title game that would be part of the playoff process. Still leaves a lot of questions about Notre Dame, other conferences, etc. Worth watching in its entirety.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Shhh don’t tell people that the new system is actually better for most schools, especially the new Big12. They don’t want to hear that.
Can’t retro fit these things, if a playoff spot was on the line they’d find a way to FSU those 1 and 2 appearances teams.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Some interesting background from Pate on CFP expansion which includes conference expansion based upon folks he's been talking to. Sounds like B1G and SEC are thinking about expanding and want to include more teams, but they don't want to hurt the regular season and conference championship games. So 4 divisions per conference with 20 teams or so with a conference semi-final and conference title game that would be part of the playoff process. Still leaves a lot of questions about Notre Dame, other conferences, etc. Worth watching in its entirety.

This makes sense unfortunately and would lead to the Big 10 and SEC doing their own thing. Thus, keeping the ACC relevant, in a weird way, with their existing low ball tv contract, with FSU, to 2036 maybe in the Big 12's (and Notre Dame's and G5's) best interest. Losing 4-6 teams would mean they are going to the Big 10 and SEC. Big 12, what's left of ACC, G5, then could be edged out.

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011

I didn't know that UNI was headed to Hawaii next season. Good for those guys. Hope they have fun out there!

Wow. Just looked at the rest of UNI's schedule for next year and they play @ St Thomas (St. Paul, MN), then @ Nebraska, then @ Hawaii. 3 road games in 3 weeks that are all way different. I also see they only play 12 games. I thought teams that play at Hawaii get a 13th game. @1UNI2ISU Do you have any insight into that?

Edit: I got to thinking that maybe UNI earned a 12th game if most FCS teams only play 11 regular season games. Looking at UNI's last couple seasons, they only played 11 games BUT I checked Illinois State's and Western Illinois's 2024 football schedules and they have 12 regular season games scheduled as well but no trips to Hawaii. I'm so lost.

Last edited:

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I didn't know that UNI was headed to Hawaii next season. Good for those guys. Hope they have fun out there!

Wow. Just looked at the rest of UNI's schedule for next year and they play @ St Thomas (St. Paul, MN), then @ Nebraska, then @ Hawaii. 3 road games in 3 weeks that are all way different. I also see they only play 12 games. I thought teams that play at Hawaii get a 13th game. @1UNI2ISU Do you have any insight into that?

Edit: I got to thinking that maybe UNI earned a 12th game if most FCS teams only play 11 regular season games. Looking at UNI's last couple seasons, they only played 11 games BUT I checked Illinois State's and Western Illinois's 2024 football schedules and they have 12 regular season games scheduled as well but no trips to Hawaii. I'm so lost.
You're right. Next year is a 12 game year in the FCS (there's an extra weekend with the early Labor Day) and UNI could play a 13th if they wanted to but they elected not to.

They spend September on the road and then have Dakotas in 4 of the first 5 league games. 6-6 would be one hell of an accomplishment with that schedule and probably gets into the playoffs.

Scheduling will get much better with David Harris gone.

Reactions: ElephantPie

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
You're right. Next year is a 12 game year in the FCS (there's an extra weekend with the early Labor Day) and UNI could play a 13th if they wanted to but they elected not to.

They spend September on the road and then have Dakotas in 4 of the first 5 league games. 6-6 would be one hell of an accomplishment with that schedule and probably gets into the playoffs.

Scheduling will get much better with David Harris gone.
Thanks for the insight. Hope UNI puts a beating to the teams on their schedule; especially Nebraska and the Dakota schools!

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU