MLB: ***Official 2024 St. Louis Cardinals Thread***

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I feel pretty good with having signed Sonny Gray at the top, along with Lynn and Gibson to stabilize the rotation. Matter of fact, I’m more wary of Mikolas and Matz than those three.

And sorting out the outfield seems to have helped, though there are still some moving parts amongst the youngsters. Just how good will Gorman, Wynn and Walker be? How much does Goldy have left in the tank?

Oh, apparently Jordan Walker put on more muscle in the offseason.

At the very least, I think this roster is a whole bunch more fundamentally stable than a year ago. Guess we’ll see.

How about you folks?

• Puke
Reactions: DukeofStratford

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
If they let guys stay at one position and can firm up the defense they should compete in the weak Central. No more flipping Walker between left and right field bc the analytics say a park plays one way or another.

Offense should be good, I like the bullpen, and starters should be able to give some innings even if 2-5 are uninspiring. The defense will have weak spots wherever Walker is and second probably will be underwhelming with Donovan and Gorman but it should be a top 10 defense with how good they'll be elsewhere.

Worst case we're bad again and can bring Yadi to the dugout as manager going forward.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Cards still need to decide who they are going to keep in the outfield and trade off some of the others for pitching or one more corner bat. Tired of seeing the ever changing lineup, pick your 8 best players and decide are you going to want Donovan or Edman as the sub and trade the other.

Reactions: TomTreebow

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I feel pretty good with having signed Sonny Gray at the top, along with Lynn and Gibson to stabilize the rotation. Matter of fact, I’m more wary of Mikolas and Matz than those three.

And sorting out the outfield seems to have helped, though there are still some moving parts amongst the youngsters. Just how good will Gorman, Wynn and Walker be? How much does Goldy have left in the tank?

Oh, apparently Jordan Walker put on more muscle in the offseason.

At the very least, I think this roster is a whole bunch more fundamentally stable than a year ago. Guess we’ll see.

How about you folks?
Offense should be good & defense adequate. I’m ok with the bullpen but the starting five are underwhelming. Do you think our starting 5 would be ranked in the top 12 in MLB? I don’t.

• Winner
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The defense will have weak spots wherever Walker is and second probably will be underwhelming with Donovan and Gorman but it should be a top 10 defense with how good they'll be elsewhere.

Worst case we're bad again and can bring Yadi to the dugout as manager going forward.
Walker was much improved by the end of the season, I’m not writing him off defensively yet.

Hiring Yadi as manager with none to minimal experience seems like it could backfire in a hurry. I feel like with his current role, they’re just having him around for another seasoned voice on the clubhouse.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Cards still need to decide who they are going to keep in the outfield and trade off some of the others for pitching or one more corner bat. Tired of seeing the ever changing lineup, pick your 8 best players and decide are you going to want Donovan or Edman as the sub and trade the other.
I feel like Edman and Donovan are being held onto as placeholders for Victor Scott and Thomas Saggese. Not sure whether or when that will work out, but I don’t suppose either is going anywhere any time soon.

And if they are keeping Dylan Carlson, they should give him regular AB’s to get his swing straightened out.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Walker was much improved by the end of the season, I’m not writing him off defensively yet.

Hiring Yadi as manager with none to minimal experience seems like it could backfire in a hurry. I feel like with his current role, they’re just having him around for another seasoned voice on the clubhouse.
Yeah, I don't think Walker will be the worst, but learning outfield in the majors isn't typically a path to being a good defender. It's outfield though so won't have a huge impact as long as he's just not awful. Phillies have gotten by for years.

Normally I'd agree with you on managers but with Yadi, I absolutely do not think he needs any further experience. Mo doesn't want to make the move though because he'd lose his say. Our manager should be Schumaker or Yadi. Might take until Mo hangs it up though.

Reactions: Aclone

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Already got my plans set to watch two games with the Brewers in April. I mean, I only have tickets for one game so far, but we’re going to see two.

My son and I have made Cardinals games a near-annual tradition since he was 6 and our 1998 family vacation was in St. Louis … my wife and daughter went to the zoo for a second day while my son and I sat through a hot and sticky afternoon watching the Astros and Redbirds go to extra innings. Houston scored in the top of the 11th and brought in Billy Wagner to close, but the Cardinals managed to get a runner on base before Mark McGwire came up and blasted a game-winning home run into the section above Big Mac Land. I think that made my son a Cardinals fan for life.

We’ve seen them play in Minnesota (the Metrodome, a terrible place to watch baseball, but we did see the immortal Chris Richard homer in his first MLB at bat in place of the injured McGwire), Milwaukee (a bunch), Washington, and last year in San Francisco, in addition to tons of trips to St. Louis.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Yadi has plenty of experience managing in winter league, he will hold players accountable and get the best out of them. Being a big leaguer all those year at a high level will help him and the players would respect him and what he did as a player.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Already got my plans set to watch two games with the Brewers in April. I mean, I only have tickets for one game so far, but we’re going to see two.

My son and I have made Cardinals games a near-annual tradition since he was 6 and our 1998 family vacation was in St. Louis … my wife and daughter went to the zoo for a second day while my son and I sat through a hot and sticky afternoon watching the Astros and Redbirds go to extra innings. Houston scored in the top of the 11th and brought in Billy Wagner to close, but the Cardinals managed to get a runner on base before Mark McGwire came up and blasted a game-winning home run into the section above Big Mac Land. I think that made my son a Cardinals fan for life.

We’ve seen them play in Minnesota (the Metrodome, a terrible place to watch baseball, but we did see the immortal Chris Richard homer in his first MLB at bat in place of the injured McGwire), Milwaukee (a bunch), Washington, and last year in San Francisco, in addition to tons of trips to St. Louis.
We used to do go to St. Louis for years starting in 1982, then we decided to see them on the road. Saw them in KC many times, Metrodome when McGwire set the record, Cincinnati a couple of series, Pittsburg and 5 games in Montreal. Last season we caught them in Dallas and in Alberts last year in Atlanta. Nothing like seeing your favorite team on the road.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Offense should be good & defense adequate. I’m ok with the bullpen but the starting five are underwhelming. Do you think our starting 5 would be ranked in the top 12 in MLB? I don’t.
I think that the goal for this year’s team is to patch the holes and get back to playoff contender status. Nothing more, nothing less.

The one year contracts give some younger guys time to sort themselves out, so that management has a better idea what holes to be filled long term. For example, if Tink Hence and Teloah Roby look like bottom of the rotation guys who will mature into the middle, that’s two less spots to go shopping for next offseason.

The thing is, everyone wants to win the World Series NOW, and that’s just not gonna happen. Matter of fact, everyone thinks this team is built around Goldy and Arenado, and that’s only true to a certain extent.

What they’re really doing is putting the pieces together to build a powerhouse team around the likes of Walker and Winn for the next dozen years.

That process may take a little longer, but it’ll be far more rewarding. And exciting.

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
My cable TV provider, Heart of Iowa, has dropped Bally Sports Midwest along with Bally Sports North and whatever the Chicago one was called. I looked at Bally Sports website for streaming options, and the Cardinals are not included with Bally Sports Midwest streaming. Has anyone found a way to watch the Cardinals in Iowa this year?

Reactions: urb1 and Aclone

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
My cable TV provider, Heart of Iowa, has dropped Bally Sports Midwest along with Bally Sports North and whatever the Chicago one was called. I looked at Bally Sports website for streaming options, and the Cardinals are not included with Bally Sports Midwest streaming. Has anyone found a way to watch the Cardinals in Iowa this year?
I don't know if this will be of any help, but this is what Cardinals website says about TV this season:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Good luck I have HULU and you cant stream it or buy Ballly sports package that would carry the Cards.

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
i have nord vpn app on my tv. Set my IP to Miami, open MLB.tv and watch all the games. when they play the marlins, i move the ip to New York or somewhere else for the series. They haven't caught me yet.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I have a VPN and a second wireless network that is a blackout workaround for MLBTV app.

I have to toggle back and forth - one network for the Redbirds and a second for everything else.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
i have nord vpn app on my tv. Set my IP to Miami, open MLB.tv and watch all the games. when they play the marlins, i move the ip to New York or somewhere else for the series. They haven't caught me yet.

What does it cost for this app?