***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022
You’re right. He shot 56% last year, slightly better than Rob Jones’ 51%, but slightly worse than Ward’s 58%
This difference amounts to 10 pts or less over the course of a season. If they can rebound especially offensively, these points are easily made up. With our current defense the ability to rebound has to be stressed, especially for the guards, since our defense puts people out of rebounding position.

TheDudeAbides

Jul 28, 2015
This difference amounts to 10 pts or less over the course of a season. If they can rebound especially offensively, these points are easily made up. With our current defense the ability to rebound has to be stressed, especially for the guards, since our defense puts people out of rebounding position.
Totally agree on the rebounding point. However, having a big that can consistently knock down FT's is such a weapon. Specifically in avoiding scoring draughts. If you can confidently dump it in to a big knowing there's a good chance he's either scoring, or heading to the line for 2 pts, it allows you to do so much more with your offense. Tre was quietly one of the best FT shooters on the entire team.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
We can win games with existing guys playing 4. But not against really good teams. Not big enough and not mature enough. To advance farther in dance than this year we need 4 and 5 men who get points for us against other good bigs
Who started at the "4" for Uconn? Answer: Alex Karaban

Alex Karaban is 6'8" and weighs 220 pounds.

Milan Momvilovic is 6'8" and weighs 220 pounds.

UConn seemed to find a way to do it...

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Having a 7'2" eraser at the rim helps with that. Ask Brad Underwood.

Edit: And I do think we'll have some lineups this year with Milan at the 4

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022
Totally agree on the rebounding point. However, having a big that can consistently knock down FT's is such a weapon. Specifically in avoiding scoring draughts. If you can confidently dump it in to a big knowing there's a good chance he's either scoring, or heading to the line for 2 pts, it allows you to do so much more with your offense. Tre was quietly one of the best FT shooters on the entire team.
I agree always love having great foul shooters, easier on my nerves. If Tre shoots 60% instead of 80% he scores 12 less points. No going to stop that many runs. Offensive rebounding can change a game, and frustrate a defense.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We can win games with existing guys playing 4. But not against really good teams. Not big enough and not mature enough. To advance farther in dance than this year we need 4 and 5 men who get points for us against other good bigs
I struggle with the idea that ISU can't win against good teams with Momcilovic and Watson playing the 4. Both players are going to work their a$$e$ off over the summer to get better. Mature enough??? Not sure what that means. Momcilovic struck me as a VERY mature freshman with a high basketball IQ.

Momcilovic is 6'8" and he's is going to spend serious time with the S&C staff this summer. There is NO college team that Milan can't play the 4 and ISU be successful. In fact, he will be less challenged defensively against bigger players vs. a quick 6'5" wing. Seems to me that Milan creates a mismatch for traditional post-type 4's. Plus with Iowa State's propensity to trap in the post, it's not like Milan would be isolated in the paint.

Does Momcilovic need to improve his rebounding? Sure but as a 4 he's naturally going to be in the paint more and I'm sure the staff will challenge Milan to be a more productive rebounder, just like they did with Tre King last off season.

Also, in Iowa State's offense, it's not like playing the 4 means Momcilovic or Watson are going to be camped in the paint.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
You're greatly underestimating Heise. He's going to play a bunch and he brings the rebounding from the wing that this team really lacked at times last year. He's a guy that just does everything well but you don't notice him and look up at the end of the game and he's got 15/6/5. He's exactly what this roster needed as a spot starter/first guy off the bench.

You're greatly underestimating Heise. I don't know if it's people's distaste for UNI or what but that addition is really getting over looked. He is going to be more than an end of the rotation guy this year and will probably start in 2025-2026.
I've come around on Heise. He's a more athletic/skilled version of Grill. He would have started on TJ's first 2 years but he's going to come off the bench.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Having a 7'2" eraser at the rim helps with that. Ask Brad Underwood.

Edit: And I do think we'll have some lineups this year with Milan at the 4
Yeah well Donovan Clingan and JT Rock were both similar darn recruits. Extremely similar actually. People just act like we are grasping at straws with the talent on our roster because we didnt land a top 5 transfer in the country. 6'11" 265 pound Dishon Jackson not the shot blocker Clingan was, but that is a grown A man that is going to control the paint.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I’d just love to see a relentless rebounder from the portal. Last year, Iowa State had 6 games with a double digit rebounder and they came from Gilbert, Lipsey, and Watson. I love that our guards can rebound but we need a PF junkyard dog type.
I'll agree with you, but those 3 got a lot of boards because our bigs were doing a good job of boxing out and keeping the other team off the glass.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I also think people are sleeping on the improvement/potential improvement of our returning players. Curtis Jones was playing like a 1st team all-conference player the last couple months of the year. Gilbert, Lipsey, and MM can all get better/stronger in the off-season.

Even though it is proven wrong every year, ISU is the only team that can not improve on the off season, according to the experts on CF.
Since TJ has got here I have yet to see the returning players not improve. He and the staff do a great job of helping/guiding the players to improving their game. That is why I was sad to see Omaha leave after just a yr. Oh well such is the BB world now.

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006

UConn has size at all other spots. Karaban is not 220. He weighs more than that. He is stronger and better athlete at this point than Milan. He is a better player than anyone we had to play 4 spot. There 5 was better also. That is my point

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
UConn has size at all other spots. Karaban is not 220. He weighs more than that. He is stronger and better athlete at this point than Milan. He is a better player than anyone we had to play 4 spot. There 5 was better also. That is my point

So let me get this straight. Your point is the Cyclones don't have as much talent as the 2023/24 UConn Huskies? We don't have as much talent as the program that won the last 2 national titles? A 2023/24 team with the largest margin of victory over their 6 NCAA Tournament games? I hate to admit it to myself, but I agree with you!!

Based on returning our top 4 scorers the national media has ISU ranked in its early season Top 10. I'll take it.

Regarding Karaban- the UConn website does list him at 220lbs. But Karaban is 2 years older than Momcilovic, so it makes sense that Karaban's body would have more lean muscle mass if UConn's S&C staff are doing their job. Give Milan 7 months with ISU's S&C guys and I think fans will see a bigger/stronger player next fall.

Reactions: CyValley and NENick

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

So you're basically saying if they're the same size they have to be the same player.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Uconns official roster lists him at 220. He doesnt weigh more than that just because you seem to think he does. Ill trust Uconns official roster. Would not be surprised whatsoever if Milan puts on 10 pounds of muscle this offseason.

Point taken about them being bigger at other positions though. 6'11" 265 Dishon Jackson is a block though. TJ was trying to get bigger at the 3 with Hadley. Still time left in the portal. Heise from everything I have heard rebounds extremely well.