***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I have no recollection of Luke Anderson, did he actually play at ISU?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
He wasn't good enough for the Big12, evidently, but based on his season, maybe not "hot garbage." Looks like he has a nice stroke. Considering how D2 transfer Wells did for WSU, maybe Anderson can now play D1.
People that saw him in his 5 months at ISU described him as hot garbage. Evidenced by leaving a 12-20 ISU team to barely play on a 9-13 USF team

One D2 kid coming up to d1 and having success is the exception, not the rule.

Acer88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2022
South Dakota
People that saw him in his 5 months at ISU described him as hot garbage. Evidenced by leaving a 12-20 ISU team to barely play on a 9-13 USF team

He is Mad Fran’s type of player and the Hawkeye roster is pretty much empty…..

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Don't disagree with your point but random thought... I still wish we would of had a spot for Ryan Hawkins (NW Missouri State) in TJ's first transfer class. He had a really nice year at Creighton.

If we could have weeded out Foster sooner or something.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I was reading about the Portal and came across this: "A remarkable 1,815 basketball players entered the transfer portal in 2023, but more than 800 had not landed with another program by mid-August." Article from FloHoops.

I see the same thing this year. A lot of these kids going in the portal have no stats that would attract attention from another school.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I was reading about the Portal and came across this: "A remarkable 1,815 basketball players entered the transfer portal in 2023, but more than 800 had not landed with another program by mid-August." Article from FloHoops.

I see the same thing this year. A lot of these kids going in the portal have no stats that would attract attention from another school.
The learning curve for the current NIL/transfer landscape is real and ongoing.

I don't fault kids for being this way and I definitely don't group everyone in this category, but the ability to see others immediately improve their situation (whether playing time or monetary) definitely creates a false dichotomy.

The transfer portal will be made up of certain percentages of each:
- players good enough to warrant more money
- players good enough to warrant more playing time and a little more money
- players good enough to warrant more playing time
- players good enough to play at a higher level
- players that want some NIL money since they may not make money going the pro route
- players that need to play at a lower level for more minutes
- players that want a change of scenery (due to coaching or personal reasons)
- players that think they warrant more playing time and/or money, but are overvaluing their abilities

The percentage that falls in that last category is way higher than it should be. I'd like to think it will level off, but it's really hard to tell since the focus group is constantly cycling through.

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022

Help Support Us

Become a patron