***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
You’d have to think that we’re a great destination for a big man transfer. We’re probably top 10-15 to start the season and there are plenty of minutes to be had. Tons of nationally televised games and scouts in attendance.

Bet we are not ranked near that high to start the season. Even though we should be pre season top 15

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Bet we are not ranked near that high to start the season. Even though we should be pre season top 15
At some point one would think (perhaps naively) that people realize TJ is likely to exceed expectations.

Losing 4 starters last year it’s probably fair we were not hyped up much preseason.

Next year we’re returning 3 starters plus our 6th and - hopefully - see our McDonalds All American take a step forward.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
At some point one would think (perhaps naively) that people realize TJ is likely to exceed expectations.

Losing 4 starters last year it’s probably fair we were hyped up much preseason.

Next year we’re returning 3 starters plus our 6th and - hopefully - see our McDonalds All American take a step forward.
Next year is going to be a tougher reload then the past two. All of the big men TJ has brought in were much better after being in the system for a year. Hopefully we find a couple exceptions.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

Losing 4 starters last year it’s probably fair we were hyped up much preseason.

We need Omaha to replace Tre King. Hope he develops.
Desperately need a big who can play defense from portal or JUCO.
An announcer of our a game a week or so ago said the key to our defense is our big guys. Upon reflection - I think he was correct. Our bigs must switch 1-5 and trap on the perimeter. Not everyone is capable.
I think Rock will be outstanding, but it’s unclear to me how he fits into our defensive scheme. Of course, I have not seen him
Play. Even if he fits, he cannot play 40 minutes.

Reactions: Letterkenny

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Next year is going to be a tougher reload then the past two. All of the big men TJ has brought in were much better after being in the system for a year. Hopefully we find a couple exceptions.
The trickiest part will be the defensive cohesion. We have bigs this year that really defend well on the perimeter and know exactly where they are supposed to be with angles and help. Hopefully a year in the system for JT and Omaha will give them a head start, and we can find at least one really solid big in the portal.

Offense should be easier, as the guard experience is invaluable on that end. Just need guys who can screen, rebound, and make themselves available.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
An announcer of our a game a week or so ago said the key to our defense is our big guys. Upon reflection - I think he was correct. Our bigs must switch 1-5 and trap on the perimeter. Not everyone is capable.
I think Rock will be outstanding, but it’s unclear to me how he fits into our defensive scheme. Of course, I have not seen him
Watson could also take over the Tre King role. I think between Omaha and Demarion we will be fine there

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Just to add, I wonder if Watson beefs up just a little bit and becomes one of those guys. I still think of him as a guard, but he's a great rebounder that can guard any position. Might be a natural fit at the 4 going forward.
Agree, I stated before Omaha, Watson and Fish should do what they can to look like Tre King next fall. Momcilovic as a wing has a different path but he'll still likely add some good weight.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CYFanKC

Aug 8, 2023
Not trying to be negative here, but since this is a transfer thread and its nearly impossible to please everyone on a team, who do we think might transfer out from Iowa State? (Ideally no one but thats not realistic in this day and age)

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
ESPN had a bit highlighting our defense focusing on Ward. Basically walling the ball handler when needed on high screens then rotating back. No reason to believe Rock can't fill that role.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyPunch

alexssdean12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2018
You’d have to think that we’re a great destination for a big man transfer. We’re probably top 10-15 to start the season and there are plenty of minutes to be had. Tons of nationally televised games and scouts in attendance.
All comes down to money.. if that's their motivator then it may be hard to land one. I would assume there is a guy out there (potentially non-us citizen) that wants to show case their skills on the largest stage. Delay the payday for the NBA.

Reactions: Messi

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
ESPN had a bit highlighting our defense focusing on Ward. Basically walling the ball handler when needed on high screens then rotating back. No reason to believe Rock can't fill that role.

If you are expecting Rock to fit into Ward's defensive role, I'm afraid you may be disappointed. Hasan is a physical freak when it comes to his size, length and mobility. Rock is certainly big, but the mobility is where the issue will lie.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
All comes down to money.. if that's their motivator then it may be hard to land one. I would assume there is a guy out there (potentially non-us citizen) that wants to show case their skills on the largest stage. Delay the payday for the NBA.

Luckily I don't think we need gamechangers as front court transfers. We have options with Milan playing the 4, Omaha hopefully developing, Demarion moving to more a 4 position and who knows with Rock. We have all kinds of returning scoring in our backcourt, so I imagine TJ will prioritize rebounding and toughness, which may be in a little bit less of demand than a big who can get you 15-20 on a given night.

alexssdean12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2018
Agree, I stated before Omaha, Watson and Fish should do what they can to look like Tre King next fall. Momcilovic as a wing has a different path but he'll still likely add some good weight.
Is it crazy to think mommy could play the 4 and start Curtis at the 3 next year. I know we'd be small but man our offense would be potent.

Reactions: Letterkenny

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Is it crazy to think mommy could play the 4 and start Curtis at the 3 next year. I know we'd be small but man our offense would be potent.
I think Momcilovic, Watson and hopefully Biliew are all capable playing the 4. We need 1-2 transfers that are 6'-9"+. I think we'll learn how they feel about Rock based on how many bigs we go after. Do they think Rock is ready to contribute next year? If not, we probably need 2 bigs to replace Jones, Ward and King.

It's been a nice luxury the last two years being able to rotate two guys at the 5 with basically no drop off.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Not trying to be negative here, but since this is a transfer thread and its nearly impossible to please everyone on a team, who do we think might transfer out from Iowa State? (Ideally no one but thats not realistic in this day and age)
Best answer i can give is who won't.
Lipsey, no way.
Gilbert, Jones. Final year 2nd transfer. Why would they.
Momcilovic, not happening
Rock, No
Paveletzke Possible but still second transfer.
Watson, Possible but would be unfortunate he's got a role here.
Biliew??? Shouldn't sounds like he knows the path to development is here for him.
Hamilton and Fish, no idea.

Summation, we have grads leaving. Two guard recruits and will be looking at adding possibly two bigs.

• Agree
Reactions: CYFanKC

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If you are expecting Rock to fit into Ward's defensive role, I'm afraid you may be disappointed. Hasan is a physical freak when it comes to his size, length and mobility. Rock is certainly big, but the mobility is where the issue will lie.
You completely missed my point. There was nothing in that piece that required freakish ability only hustle. Jones and Ward have demonstrated there's multiple ways to fill the role.